Author Topic: Bitshares release speculation.  (Read 7430 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Like when there is only an rpc client and people wanting to test the viability of this prediction market are willing to out in the work I think a few thousand pts is a good incentive to start building the infrastructure you need to have a good market
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Launch iterations of TestShares backed by protoshares, put down 10 then 100 then 1000 pts redistributed by testshare ownership at the end of test period
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
So release date is really subject to whether we need a full Qt GUI to launch.   What are your thoughts?

In my opinion, getting something out there that people can look at and verify that progress is being made is vital. If it's a minimal viable product (MVP), then so be it. At least the gearheads and early adopters will have something tangible to play around with while the other features are being implemented. I don't know if it's a good idea to allow real speculation in BTS considering the platform would still be far off from what was promised but let it operate in a test enviroment.

I like what this could do for decentralization.  Motivated by the suddenly urgent need for better interfaces, the whole community might then start working on competitive add-ons to an MVP causing the product to mature much faster -- with multiple competing options for everything.  I wonder if there are enough people in this community interested in doing that to make it actually work out that way...

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline vikram

I am for the MVP, as it would allow the prediction market theory to be vetted early on.

So release date is really subject to whether we need a full Qt GUI to launch.   What are your thoughts?

In my opinion, getting something out there that people can look at and verify that progress is being made is vital. If it's a minimal viable product (MVP), then so be it. At least the gearheads and early adopters will have something tangible to play around with while the other features are being implemented. I don't know if it's a good idea to allow real speculation in BTS considering the platform would still be far off from what was promised but let it operate in a test enviroment.

I agree. An MVP that allows testing of the prediction markets on a test network would be optimal.

Offline slacking

• View Profile

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
The release date could be affected by what the minimal viable product (MVP) could be.   Obviously creating and implementing a blockchain and centralized validation with command line wallet / trading system would be the MVP that could enable successful trading on the network.   Then Ripple style consensus, Qt GUI, Web Wallets, could be added after this MVP.   

Some may claim that a "centralized" command line system is not what was promised, on the other hand it could be a valuable stepping stone toward a full system that would maximize shareholder value in the short term and allow speculation on real BTS while we build out the rest of the infrastructure.   

+10 for a MVP.

I also liked reading your other post on where you see the competitors at the moment.

If you can effectively eliminate traditional mining that would be great. Nothing pisses me off more than looking at the Bitcoin hashrate distribution and seeing Ghash.io has up to 45% sometimes.

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile

Offline smiley35

• View Profile
I think that MVP is a good idea, but I think it is important that we make it explicitly clear that this is a stepping stone, and a partial piece of code with infrastructure still being actively built out. Just very honest and up front is the best way to go.

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile
I am for the MVP, as it would allow the prediction market theory to be vetted early on.

Offline Giga

• Futurist & Endless Dreamer
    • View Profile
These are all great points. When thinking about the other side of the argument I have visions of FUD in the form of

"centralized"

"they changed what they originally sold shares for"

"they can't be trusted"

Just for reference what are we talking about here Dan? Like an MVP in Feb as opposed to a full product at the end of march? Where do you guys think our competitors will be along this timeline?

Our competitors haven't even realized the problems they have to overcome.  Anything based upon mining will be destroyed in the market because mining is an expense that eats the profitability of the DACs and ultimately centralizes control.   This means that everyone will end up having to change their designs to replace mining to stay competitive.   Mining also slows block production and is not viable for blockchains with markets built in because the 'miner' has the power to control what transactions get in the block. 

Our competitors are all based upon 'one blockchain to rule them all' mentality which is a side effect of the mining mentality.  These systems will not scale in the end.  They may spring up quickly, but will die once reality hits that a 'market' is different than a 'currency' in terms of transaction volume.

Mastercoin has so many inefficiencies, and baggage from being layered on top of Bitcoin and the original designer isn't even working on the project any more.  I wish them well, but they too will end up having to move to their own blockchain and this will set them back in development.

In other words, I am not aware of any competitor that actually understands the nuances of DACs, blockchains, and the like at the level I do today and their lack of understanding is going to set them back dramatically in the long run.

I am sure I have things I do not yet fully appreciate or grasp, but what I do get shows me that the competition is far behind.

The FUD and legal risk arguments are the primary argument against MVP.   However, FUD is just a profit opportunity for those who can see through it because in the end FUD has no substance.

I believe that a MVP that is command line / JSON-RPC based where the 'consensus' algorithm as a Unique Node List of 1 will be viable especially once I lay the mental framework that demolishes the false decentralization offered by Bitcoin, Ripple, and other mining based systems.    Bitcoin is effectively centralized in GigaHash + 1,  Ripple is centralized in the inner circle cartel that makes up the Unique Node List.   The only thing that is required to eliminate the need to 'trust' is to eliminate the potential of cheating and getting away with it.  The only thing required to be decentralized is market competition and elimination of barriers of entry.   

I think our marketing will begin to shape the narrative in a way that our competitors will have a hard time escaping from.

In conclusion I think a MVP may be the best way to go as a stepping stone to realizing the final goal.   When can such a MVP be available, I cannot say for certain but probably sooner than may think and later than I would estimate.

i think an MVP is a great idea too but as long as the time gap between MVP and the final / other major infrastructure development/launches is not large imo.

Offline bytemaster

These are all great points. When thinking about the other side of the argument I have visions of FUD in the form of

"centralized"

"they can't be trusted"

Just for reference what are we talking about here Dan? Like an MVP in Feb as opposed to a full product at the end of march? Where do you guys think our competitors will be along this timeline?

Our competitors haven't even realized the problems they have to overcome.  Anything based upon mining will be destroyed in the market because mining is an expense that eats the profitability of the DACs and ultimately centralizes control.   This means that everyone will end up having to change their designs to replace mining to stay competitive.   Mining also slows block production and is not viable for blockchains with markets built in because the 'miner' has the power to control what transactions get in the block. 

Our competitors are all based upon 'one blockchain to rule them all' mentality which is a side effect of the mining mentality.  These systems will not scale in the end.  They may spring up quickly, but will die once reality hits that a 'market' is different than a 'currency' in terms of transaction volume.

Mastercoin has so many inefficiencies, and baggage from being layered on top of Bitcoin and the original designer isn't even working on the project any more.  I wish them well, but they too will end up having to move to their own blockchain and this will set them back in development.

In other words, I am not aware of any competitor that actually understands the nuances of DACs, blockchains, and the like at the level I do today and their lack of understanding is going to set them back dramatically in the long run.

I am sure I have things I do not yet fully appreciate or grasp, but what I do get shows me that the competition is far behind.

The FUD and legal risk arguments are the primary argument against MVP.   However, FUD is just a profit opportunity for those who can see through it because in the end FUD has no substance.

I believe that a MVP that is command line / JSON-RPC based where the 'consensus' algorithm as a Unique Node List of 1 will be viable especially once I lay the mental framework that demolishes the false decentralization offered by Bitcoin, Ripple, and other mining based systems.    Bitcoin is effectively centralized in GigaHash + 1,  Ripple is centralized in the inner circle cartel that makes up the Unique Node List.   The only thing that is required to eliminate the need to 'trust' is to eliminate the potential of cheating and getting away with it.  The only thing required to be decentralized is market competition and elimination of barriers of entry.   

I think our marketing will begin to shape the narrative in a way that our competitors will have a hard time escaping from.

In conclusion I think a MVP may be the best way to go as a stepping stone to realizing the final goal.   When can such a MVP be available, I cannot say for certain but probably sooner than may think and later than I would estimate.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline smiley35

• View Profile

"centralized"

"they can't be trusted"

Offline betax

• View Profile
Vote for a MVP, this gives you the double benefit of real presence, earlier adoption, good feedback of users on other areas on the system including the release priority.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline johncitizen

• View Profile
The release date could be affected by what the minimal viable product (MVP) could be.   Obviously creating and implementing a blockchain and centralized validation with command line wallet / trading system would be the MVP that could enable successful trading on the network.   Then Ripple style consensus, Qt GUI, Web Wallets, could be added after this MVP.   

Some may claim that a "centralized" command line system is not what was promised, on the other hand it could be a valuable stepping stone toward a full system that would maximize shareholder value in the short term and allow speculation on real BTS while we build out the rest of the infrastructure.   

Firstly,

We are essentially competing for market share. Some systems work alongside BTS where others may ultimately compete. Is is wise to have source code available on github?

It may be important to maximise short term shareholder value while also generating mass attention to the project. We have a large advantage in our current position. If we play our cards right, we will certainly become what is expected by Invictus believers.

I support this. It may be worth developing the trading system of BTS for release and then continuing the infrastructure? This has been the path of other 'systems' and has been relatively successful. MST for example are @ 0.18 BTC with nothing more than a promise? I do not mean to be rude but that is as it seems. Same for Ripple and NXT.

If we take the approach with BTS trading release, we will create a surge in AGS donations and PTS price. It may be thoughtful to consider how to sustain funding thereafter (see below). There would be appx 500k PTS left to mine and perhaps 1.8 million AGS left after a FEB release of MVP.

BTS would sit on coinmarketcap trading away, generating buzz and new investors, right where the world can see. That would draw a huge amount of attention to Invictus so we would need the websites sexy and information presented clearly. I am certain that this would generate a whole new flood of investors that will bid to capture positions in future DACs through AGS/PTS and also hustle bitshares for a piece of the BTS future dividend/fee.

Currently many are unaware of our plans. Think of this also. If we release BTS to market for speculation, new investors also have the opportunity to bid for AGS (and the remaining PTS) based on the business model of rewarding them %10 of DAC's.

We will be the first to provide the 'general public' with 'founder' status. Something even small time guys take immense pride in.

This seems like the 'royal flush'. (I make no reference to gambling, just the position held  8) )

These discussions are imperative and must reach conclusion ASAP.