Author Topic: Designing a logo for BlockPay...  (Read 11947 times)

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2
By the way, it's nice to think that the graphical component of the logo could stand on its own.  And that could be an ultimate goal.  But that takes years of brand building.  Look at UnionPay.  That is now one of the largest payment networks in the world, yet even they are not at the point where they can omit their name and use just the graphical part of the logo.  Also, notice that they use the word "Pay" NOT "POS".  There is a reason for that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=unionpay&biw=1280&bih=639&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiAscryjMbNAhUJ1CYKHa50CkEQ_AUICCgD

Anyway, here are some color variations on the BlocPay concept (click on the external link for best viewing).  I'm liking the blue version more and more.   

https://i.imgsafe.org/000607d6cb.jpg

Offline tbone

• View Profile
Well, I can't say I agree on the POS acronym, I never would have thought of using those words for POS. If a logo is done right though, you really don't even need words to describe it. Let the logo be the brand.

Anyway, not sure if that is an American thing, or it's just that there are a lot of acronyms for every little thing now.. hell I just learned what tldr meant just a couple of months ago. cli about 6 months ago. lulz about a year ago. We had terms quite a bit different in my hayday like sysop, sysadmin, 9600, haha, dos prompt, quackintosh, and screw you hippie. ;)

@kenCode, I'm taking the time to provide this feedback because I own like 10% of OPENPOS and a boatload of BTS.  I care about the success of this project, and you're about to do something that will undermine a lot of the awesome work you've been doing.  Please don't do that.

POS as an acronym  for "point of sale" is retail industry jargon.  The general public is NOT familiar with it.  Instead, the general public associates other things with POS.  "Piece of shit" is at the top of the list and is nothing new.  Also, the cryptro world thinks of POS as an acronym for "Proof of Stake".  So you're just causing further confusion on that front, and basically missing the mark all around.

You don't have a lot of chances to get this right.  So for pete's sake, please don't put your head in the sand and make the mistake of using POS for anything consumer facing.  If you do, you will end up wondering why it gets no traction (or a lot less than it should). 

For something consumer facing, why not come up with a name that uses the word "pay"?  It's short and concise, and can't be mistaken for anything else under the sun.  Check out some of the designs below.  A couple of them use "Bloc" instead of "Block" since BlocPay is more unique than BlockPay and has more domains available.  Please, I hope you head in a direction like this. 

P.S. Even spelled out, the term "point of sale" doesn't mean much to (and won't resonate with) the general public, and doesn't look particularly good on a logo.  Again, the word "pay" is the way to go for something consumer facing.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 04:04:01 pm by tbone »

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
Well, I can't say I agree on the POS acronym, I never would have thought of using those words for POS. If a logo is done right though, you really don't even need words to describe it. Let the logo be the brand.

Anyway, not sure if that is an American thing, or it's just that there are a lot of acronyms for every little thing now.. hell I just learned what tldr meant just a couple of months ago. cli about 6 months ago. lulz about a year ago. We had terms quite a bit different in my hayday like sysop, sysadmin, 9600, haha, dos prompt, quackintosh, and screw you hippie. ;)
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline tbone

• View Profile
Take a look at these examples:
http://50north.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/payment-icons.jpg

and these:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/Geldautomaat.jpg

The network and payment processor logos are very minimalist. 
Cirrus, Star, Giropay, vPay, DirectDebit, EC, and so on...

@kenCode, so this IS  meant to be consumer facing?  I thought you already spent a bunch of time and effort on the bitcoin and smartcoins accepted here graphics for consumer-facing display.  Can't you modify those?  I would have to agree with @lil_jay890 (probably for the first time ever) that POS is really bad for anything consumer facing.  POS as an acronym for "point of sale" is not something many people are familiar with.  If anything, @lil_jay890 is right, most people associate that with piece of sh!t, or depending on context in internet slang it increasingly may mean "Parent Over Shoulder" "positive", or "possible".  I sincerely hope you change direction on this. 

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
Everytime I see POS, I immediately think "piece of shit".

I didn't even like the name OPENPOS, but didn't think it was a big deal since it wasn't consumer facing.

Ken, is there any way you could remove POS from the logo?

You want Ken to make a major change from opinion in a sample size of one?
Just because I'm the only one who says something about it doesn't mean I'm the only one thinking it.

Plus I'm one of the largest shareholders, so it is in my best interest to bring up things that I think could be improved.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
Take a look at these examples:
http://50north.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/payment-icons.jpg

and these:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/Geldautomaat.jpg

The network and payment processor logos are very minimalist. 
Cirrus, Star, Giropay, vPay, DirectDebit, EC, and so on...
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline tbone

• View Profile
Here's another version.  Actually, this is better since the "POS" looks more like an acronym due to not having "Block' in all caps.  Anyway, obviously this was adapted from the designs done by @Geneko.  I think it's smart to say "Powered by the blockchain", otherwise the point of the word "block" will be missed on most people.  Also, I think it's fitting to have icons for multiple currencies.  And it's great that the graphene mesh pays homage to the specific underlying technology.  Great ideas, @Geneko!

P.S.  Make sure you click on the image, otherwise the dimensions are a bit skewed.

Offline tbone

• View Profile
Howe about something like this?

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
@crypto4ever you have a great point there.
we will be building nfc into a future version of the smartcoins wallet too, and blockpos supports nfc and qr codes both. so the wireless symbol (use 3 lines instead of 4) combined with a chain somehow might be a great way to go. then we just write the word BlockPOS next to that logo, or under it and i think we might have something cool and relative to what the product is about.
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline tbone

• View Profile
Everytime I see POS, I immediately think "piece of shit".

I didn't even like the name OPENPOS, but didn't think it was a big deal since it wasn't consumer facing.

Ken, is there any way you could remove POS from the logo?

You would have a good point if this was aimed at consumers.  But isn't this aimed at merchants?  If that's the case, then POS is fine.

Offline bitsharesbrazil

• View Profile
i loved the minimalist like mastercard logo from yao...n loved n3 from geneko........but its just opinion of a forum member here...but you guys delivered a pretty nice logo.
bitcointalk ANN https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1084460.0
chat, post, promote it!!!!!!!! Stan help to improve OP!

Offline Geneko

• View Profile
Hey Ken

I am a fan of minimalism too but this is not a question of liking's. This should be the point of effective design.
Please check some more with additional details about block-chain, crypto currency, graphene, as you have requested.
I don't like them as much as previous designs, but please check anyway.

P.S. I thought you need only ideas. I am not a professional designer and I don't expect any compensation for my work. I would only like to see your project succeed.

Offline Yao

• View Profile
  • BitShares: yao
  • GitHub: imYao

Offline Yao

• View Profile
  • BitShares: yao
  • GitHub: imYao

Offline crypto4ever

• View Profile

I like this idea... But to be honest the blockchain is something that means something to developers and the science behind how it works. Consumers don't care.  I think I'm contradicting myself with my submissions, but they were purposely done to get others to "do bettter". :)

Consumers know they use their phone, and that's what is important.

Showing a standard Wifi Symbol, with the word "blockpos" over it, might be enough.  The wifi signal is quite well known and popular, and means it is electronic and goes through the air.

(Even if technically we're scanning codes with a camera, or using NFC. The logo can be technically wrong, as long as it
shows the consumer that you can do a phone payment)

...and since phones keep changing designs, I don't know if you would want a picture of a cell phone.  That's why I suggest
a wifi signal as part of the logo. That's pretty standard these days.

Even look at this logo from Mastercard:

Or even these:

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 07:26:36 pm by crypto4ever »