Author Topic: STEEM hack discussion  (Read 11270 times)

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Their centralized wallet got hacked after all this advertisement of advantages of decentralized blockchain. LMAO!

I've used it because I like the concept but I've also wondered about this. why is that? because they're still not using IPFS?

IPFS wouldn't have prevented the attack as it was an XSS attack. IPFS is just a storage medium. It was a coding vulnerability in posting that allowed for this to happen.

This is unique to steem so OL is not exposed the same way.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Their centralized wallet got hacked after all this advertisement of advantages of decentralized blockchain. LMAO!

Yea I'm pretty shocked about that. I wouldn't have thought something like this was even possible.

Of course I never got around to changing my keys over the past couple days. Easy come easy go?  :-\

Also makes me wonder if our openledger wallets are exposed to the same risk...?

And wtf wasn't 2FA authentication set up by now? That would have probably saved a lot of headache.   ???

2FA is not so simple in blockchain.. it also creates a barrier to onboarding.. eg. you don't have 2FA in facebook.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist

I've used it because I like the concept but I've also wondered about this. why is that? because they're still not using IPFS?

would be good to get some information about our web wallets. Sop @svk how is the situation is bitshares save?

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7

Yea I'm pretty shocked about that. I wouldn't have thought something like this was even possible.

Of course I never got around to changing my keys over the past couple days. Easy come easy go?  :-\

Also makes me wonder if our openledger wallets are exposed to the same risk...?

And wtf wasn't 2FA authentication set up by now? That would have probably saved a lot of headache.   ???
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 04:06:57 pm by nomoreheroes7 »

Offline yvv

• View Profile

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
So it looks like the STEEM hack might be worse than thought. The site has been read-only all morning and has been completely down for the last hour. Last I read regarding the hack was from @ash about 8 hours ago saying that the attacker is continuing to milk accounts.

Since Steemit is obviously down right now, I figured I'd bring the discussion over here. Anyone have a clue what the hell's going on?