Author Topic: Don't understand how to install the wallet  (Read 2910 times)

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
the wallet is actually written in HTML/Javascript, that means you can open it up in a browser .. locally .. from from a remote host ..
either way, the private keys stay in your browser and are not sent to any server.

If you cannot protect your private keys, you shouldn't be in the crypto currency space.

It would be valuable to know if the gateway (such as openledger) have some sneaky opportunity to save credentials during account creation?
I think this would be the answer he/she seeks for.

For now we know that openledger officially doesn't store any credentials. But are they able to?
Yes, any given website such as openledger could modify the javascript code they deliver to capture credentials and this is a potential security hole, since the server hosting the web wallet pages could be hacked.

This is why it's safer to run the "light wallet" instead of using a web browser to access your funds. The light wallet is a frozen capture of the web wallet pages.

Back to answering the original question:
While creating a new account with light wallet, does the gateway have any chance of capturing the credentials?

The person asking the question wants to know how to safely store his/her BitShares investment.
The gateway cannot capture his credentials when using the light wallet.
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline hammurabi

• View Profile
the wallet is actually written in HTML/Javascript, that means you can open it up in a browser .. locally .. from from a remote host ..
either way, the private keys stay in your browser and are not sent to any server.

If you cannot protect your private keys, you shouldn't be in the crypto currency space.

It would be valuable to know if the gateway (such as openledger) have some sneaky opportunity to save credentials during account creation?

For now we know that openledger officially doesn't store any credentials. But are they able to?
Yes, any given website such as openledger could modify the javascript code they deliver to capture credentials and this is a potential security hole, since the server hosting the web wallet pages could be hacked.

This is why it's safer to run the "light wallet" instead of using a web browser to access your funds. The light wallet is a frozen capture of the web wallet pages.

Back to answering the original question:
While creating a new account with light wallet, does the gateway have any chance of capturing the credentials?

The person asking the question wants to know how to safely store his/her BitShares investment.

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow

http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline hammurabi

• View Profile

Offline nmywn

• View Profile
Seraching info, I think now that I understand that anyway, the wallet would NOT be a local wallet...
but an online wallet.

Am I correct?

Not really. Online wallet is in fact just interface hosted by 3rd party. You wallet is stored localy in browser cache and in your backups. But having standalone wallet is safer option anyway.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 03:18:09 pm by nmywn »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline lraynal

• View Profile
Seraching info, I think now that I understand that anyway, the wallet would NOT be a local wallet...
but an online wallet.

Am I correct?

If this is true, forget about it because there is NO difference btw having the coins on an exchange
and having them on an online wallet.

The point of getting a wallet, is to protect our coins from external issue (fraud, closing of a site......)

So, if I don't have a local wallet for BTS, forget about the online wallet, and forget about keeping BTS long terms...

I will probably sell them even with a lost if I cannot protect them ;-)

thanks!

Offline lraynal

• View Profile
what link exactly I should start from?

Not familiar at all, so for me the openledger stuff does not tell me anything :-(

thanks for your support

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
The light client simply caches the pages locally so it works faster.  Honestly, just use bitshares.openledger.info

Remember to backup your wallet and brain key after creating an account. 

Offline lraynal

• View Profile
I installed a few wallet recently, and usually all was fine.
I used the link to install BTS 2 desktop wallet for windows....
I just get a .exe file.
I click on it, it does something, tells that this is complete....

but then, I have no clue what to do or where to search the next step as
i got any automatic guidance to select where to get the wallet installed,
and how to proceed.

Please, Help as I am really not techy for that, and I have no clue what to do
to get the wallet up and running to put my coins in

thanks in advance