Author Topic: Lost Account = No Backup  (Read 3400 times)

chryspano

can someone confirm or deny that brainkey alone will not be enought if you imported your balances from 0.9.3c ? I might be wrong in this but I think that brainkey only restores new accounts and not  0.9.3c imported ones.
The brainkey is sufficient if you import only *balances* from 0.9.3c  into a new account.
It is *not sufficient* if you import an *account* from 0.9.3c (in that case, the account keys exist separately in the old 0.9.3c wallet,  though).

Thank you

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
can someone confirm or deny that brainkey alone will not be enought if you imported your balances from 0.9.3c ? I might be wrong in this but I think that brainkey only restores new accounts and not  0.9.3c imported ones.
The brainkey is sufficient if you import only *balances* from 0.9.3c  into a new account.
It is *not sufficient* if you import an *account* from 0.9.3c (in that case, the account keys exist separately in the old 0.9.3c wallet,  though).
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

chryspano

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Settings -> Backup -> Pick "Brainkey" -> provide password

Offline llildur

• View Profile
Hi i create an OL account but i canĀ“t remember if the site  gives me a brain key, its strange because i always store a copy of seeds but ain't got none of my OL account, is there  some way to recover the brain key from the OL account or is better just create a new one and move all my stuff  ???

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Choice of "backup" is a poor decision on Bitshares design.  Backup semantically implies an optional step.  It should be like "Save your shit so you don't lose it".  Sure that'd be the opposite of professional but probably preferable.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 06:14:17 pm by gamey »
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Bond007

Same thing happened to me no back up no Brainkey,clear the cache  can not get back into my account one  and half million BTS  Lost ,,,

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Thanks for the reply,

I know my password, thats not the issue. The issue is that once I cleared the cache and returned to openledger, it only allows me to create account. There is no login. As for the brainkey, I'm not exactly sure If I know what that is.
The brainkey is a set of 12 words that you can use to recover your account ... it is one out of two ways to do a backup (brainkey or backupfile)
If you have neither of both, and the browser doesn't have the cache anymore, it's impossible to recover your account. Sorry

Offline tmagee56

Thanks for the reply,

I know my password, thats not the issue. The issue is that once I cleared the cache and returned to openledger, it only allows me to create account. There is no login. As for the brainkey, I'm not exactly sure If I know what that is.

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
Yes that's my understanding too. If you can't remember your password, you either need your backup (it actually tells you at the bottom right corner I believe) or you need the brain key.

So if you don't have any of the above 3, I think you're done. If there is just a few bucks in there, perhaps your teacher will let you create another. But please do either write down your password or make a good backup.

Anyone else have any ideas?

chryspano

Do you have the brainkey?

If you don't have a backup or the brainkey I don't think there is much you can do.

Offline tmagee56

Hello all,

Recently got into OpenLedger due to a class project. I missed the first day of class so I missed the part where you need to create a back-up in the event of getting kicked out of your wallet and NOT to do a cache clear otherwise you'd lose the data. Well, I did a cache clear and was booted from my account and Im desperate to see if there isn't a shred of hope that I can get back into my account so that my grade doesn't get affected. Can anyone help or am I screwed?