Author Topic: New Prediction Market Asset ETHWAR, advice?  (Read 1921 times)

Offline mr-whitekey

Looks like someone put in a 2000bts buy order for 20 million ETHWAR @ .00010 bts. Now all we need is someone to take the opposite side. Anyone?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 06:38:44 pm by mr-whitekey »

Offline mr-whitekey

hammurabi  ask:
"Could you describe a bit more how it works for the audience :)"

Well I guess it does not inspire much confidence that I am still working that out exactly....

Basically if, on Jan 1st 2017, ETC has a larger market cap than ETH the asset I created called ETHWAR will be worth 1 bts. If you think this will happen then you might want to own lots of ETHWAR and you will create a market buy order for the asset ETHWAR. Given current conditions you would not want to pay too high for this asset so you might bid to buy 1 ETHWAR for only .1 bts (in hopes that the asset ETHWAR will be worth 1bts on JAN 1st). Now at this point it would take another person making the opposite trade to actually create an ETHWAR. If they think that ETC will crash and burn they would not buy ETHWAR but short it. This is where it gets fuzzy for me. In stocks you are selling a borrowed stock when you short sell, where as in the prediction market the short and the buy some how create the asset...  still thinking it through.

Offline mr-whitekey

"is_prediction_market": true,

That looks all right.

As for the people using it .. you need to actively market your PM to people .. you can use a link to get them to enter it directly:
https://bitshares.openledger.info/#/market/ETHWAR_BTS (for instance)

I see such a problem that the link forces new visitor to go through registration first.
He can click "EXCHANGE" button but only smart people will be able to see what exactly the link is about.

Yes, that is a problem. But that is a problem for the entire Bitshares platform (most of crypto too). It is mostly just a test so I can figure it out as there are so few explanations of what the options are when creating a smartcoin or UIA or prediction market. I just kinda guessed.

When I first opened my bitshares  account in OL back in January I saw a very clear page where UIA were posted. It had prediction market coins for the price of Oil, the US election and other random things. I no longer see that page with this new set up, does it still exist?

One issues I see with the topic of my first prediction market assets is that there is already a good way to "bet" on ETH vs ETC, just buy them. Why would they need my asset? Well it is a learning curve and next time I will pick a better topic.   

Offline hammurabi

• View Profile

That looks all right.

As for the people using it .. you need to actively market your PM to people .. you can use a link to get them to enter it directly:

I see such a problem that the link forces new visitor to go through registration first.
He can click "EXCHANGE" button but only smart people will be able to see what exactly the link is about.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

That looks all right.

Offline mr-whitekey

I just created my first prediction market asset called ETHWAR on openledger. Would someone please take a look at it and advise on whether I did it right? Also how are people supposed to find prediction market assets if they are not actively looking?