Author Topic: The connection of bitshares and steem  (Read 4090 times)

Offline MarsResident

• View Profile
The main connection is on OpenLedger. And there may be a possible later connection when other people figure it out and start using Bitshares, maybe some cross Coin users creating Assets and Announcing them on Steemit or something. But I have not heard of any like official planned dual coin happenings.

Offline 天籁

• View Profile
I think Bitshares will always be the place that Steemians can go to store their 'hard earned' value. Because Bitshares is not inflationary like Steem (at least much less so, especially after NOV 5) it is a better way to collateralize shorts and create a variety of assets and smart-assets.

Imaginine if more smart-coins were brought to steem... the collateral would always be slowly falling in value (if no new users and investors were coming to the platform) and eventually the SteemDollars will take the collateral and pay off their holders (just like bitshares will automatically do if the collateral falls to almost less than the value of the smartcoin). It would be pandemonium.

So yes, I think bitshares will always have value. It would have been nice if Steem had sharedropped on Bitshares like peerplays is doing.
+5%

Offline KenMonkey

• View Profile
  • BitShares: kmnk
I think Bitshares will always be the place that Steemians can go to store their 'hard earned' value. Because Bitshares is not inflationary like Steem (at least much less so, especially after NOV 5) it is a better way to collateralize shorts and create a variety of assets and smart-assets.

Imaginine if more smart-coins were brought to steem... the collateral would always be slowly falling in value (if no new users and investors were coming to the platform) and eventually the SteemDollars will take the collateral and pay off their holders (just like bitshares will automatically do if the collateral falls to almost less than the value of the smartcoin). It would be pandemonium.

So yes, I think bitshares will always have value. It would have been nice if Steem had sharedropped on Bitshares like peerplays is doing.

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
Bitshares is a huge platform. It might include steemit on it, but it didn't, because some non-technical reasons.

What were the reasons?
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: jademont
Bitshares is a huge platform. It might include steemit on it, but it didn't, because some non-technical reasons.
BTS committee member:jademont

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
Since Steem will introduce new currencies next to Steem Dollar, we have to see that Bitshares is not left behind.

No let's go one step further, let's assume youhave a protocol on top of Steem hat offers a DEX .. why the hell would you not want your stuff to trade natively and thus INTEGRATE your protocol into BitShares?

I think that this was my original hope  :)
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
Welcome back Bitsharesrussia.

A lot has changed in the last two years! Especially with BitShares. Daniel has stopped the core development of the Bitshares platform and is now developing steem fulltime.  Steem is like BitShares build based on the Graphene toolkit, beside that the two platforms are not related or integrated.

Steem has ambiguous planes, building a new social network and a new eBay is just one of them. We have to see which role the BitShares DEX will play in all of that. Since Steem will introduce new currencies next to Steem Dollar, we have to see that Bitshares is not left behind. At the moment Steem does not have the UIA module installed, so you cannot create our own currencies and tokens on Steem yet.... Who knows maybe that will come too?

BitShares will grow as a decentralized exchange for all kind of assets, maybe even as marketplace between all crypto assets... However, that is still a long way to go. We need everybody's help to get there.

I'm sure you meant "Steem has ambitious plans", other than that I fully agree ;)

+5%
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Since Steem will introduce new currencies next to Steem Dollar, we have to see that Bitshares is not left behind.

Steem only has two NATIVE assets on the blockchain, and that is STEEM and SteemDollar (VESTS are not assets because they are locked away).
The fact that you can add other protocol layers ontop of steem or hook sidechains into it allows for more flexibility. Will a DEX on top of Steem scale as well as BitShares, no, it will not. Only the market STEEM:STEEMDOLLAR (which is native) will scale well .. everthing else will just feel like patch work. Just consider Counterparty or Omni on top of steem.

No let's go one step further, let's assume youhave a protocol on top of Steem hat offers a DEX .. why the hell would you not want your stuff to trade natively and thus INTEGRATE your protocol into BitShares?

Offline karnal

• View Profile
I'm sure you meant "Steem has ambitious plans", other than that I fully agree ;)

Offline karnal

• View Profile

Has that been officially announced somewhere? I don't recall reading anything about it.

Why not leverage Bitshares for that task? Keep steemit simple with SteemUSD, and use all the smartcoins bitshares has for the rest.

I can even imagine a built-in, barebones bitshares wallet (with no mention of bitshares anywhere, necessarily) on steemit.com, an integrated bridge for SteemUSD <-> Bitshares Smartcoins, I'm sure you can see the picture ..

Offline svk

A lot has changed in the last two years! Especially with BitShares. Daniel has stopped the core development of the Bitshares platform and is now developing steem fulltime.  Steem is like BitShares build based on the Graphene toolkit, beside that the two platforms are not related or integrated.

Steem has ambiguous planes, building a new social network and a new eBay is just one of them. We have to see which role the BitShares DEX will play in all of that. Since Steem will introduce new currencies next to Steem Dollar, we have to see that Bitshares is not left behind. At the moment Steem does not have the UIA module installed, so you cannot create our own currencies and tokens on Steem yet.... Who knows maybe that will come too?

BitShares will grow as a decentralized exchange for all kind of assets, maybe even as marketplace between all crypto assets... However, that is still a long way to go. We need everybody's help to get there.

Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile

+5%
Thanks for the answer Chris!
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline Chris4210

• Keep Building!
    • View Profile
    • www.payger.com
  • BitShares: chris4210

Vote Chris4210 for Committee Member http://bit.ly/1WKC03B! | www.Payger.com - Payments + Messenger | www.BitShareshub.io - Community based fanpage for the BitShares Blockchain

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
Hey guys, i havent been here for a while (2 years not to say the least). Been browsing the forum and I see some new things, which is great.

I know I will probably ask what has been asked before, but I dont see any inforamtion.

I understand that Daniel is the developer of steem, does it mean that the 2 projects are related or collaborated. Are there any plans for the 2 projects to colaborate?

I was watching an interview of Dan with the dollar vegalante (or however you spell that). And Daniel mentioned that he wants steem to be not just become a social platform but to be a whole economy of its own, with an ebay and so on and so force. A decentralized world one can say.

Which of course brings me to the thought that bithsares (bieng the best ((or the only  ;))) real trading platform with no centralization) will somehow be integrated into this economy, that was spoken about.

Please reveal some light  :)

btsx - bitsharesrussia