Author Topic: Can't Log In - Invalid Password?  (Read 9211 times)

Offline paliboy

I have the same problem as @bacchist on Fedora 24/Firefox 48 (reproducible on two computers). Works fine in Chrome.

When I completely wiped out browser storage (cookies, indexed db, local storage, session storage) and tried to import 3 months old .bin backup, it says invalid format. I created a new backup in Chrome and tried to import it in Firefox but still says invalid format. Importing the same file in Chrome works fine.

Offline bacchist

• View Profile
  • BitShares: brxstr
The most likely reason is that he deleted his old wallet and created a new one with a different password. @bacchist can you try importing your backup to Openledger using Chrome?

Just to clarify, I only made a new wallet backup and password after I was able to log in through the desktop client. I had not previously made any changes.

Oddly enough, importing and unlocking my wallet works in chrome, but still won't work in Firefox.

Offline svk

The most likely reason is that he deleted his old wallet and created a new one with a different password. @bacchist can you try importing your backup to Openledger using Chrome?
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline karnal

• View Profile
I'm using Firefox.

I'm quite relieved that I was able to use the desktop client to accomplish what I wanted to do. I will use that in the future if the website won't work for me... But it is very strange... and it was alarming, to say the least!

Whew! So you were able to access your funds, that's good!

I think in general you should opt to use the standalone client anyway. The hosted wallet is serving you javascript, though the attack surface is smaller than steemit (less parsing to do), you are still trusting the remote server to send you the correct code.

But this sounds like a bug. Maybe @svk has any idea?

Offline bacchist

• View Profile
I'm using Firefox.

I'm quite relieved that I was able to use the desktop client to accomplish what I wanted to do. I will use that in the future if the website won't work for me... But it is very strange... and it was alarming, to say the least!

Offline nmywn

• View Profile
Yeah, that's not right. What browser you're using?

Offline bacchist

• View Profile
So I downloaded the Linux client, and I was able to log in using my password and recover the wallet with the .bin.

I created a brain key, changed my password and downloaded the new .bin.

I can not log unlock the web wallet using my new password, though I am having no problem using the desktop client.

Offline nmywn

• View Profile
Most likely your password is wrong. I'm not sure you're aware that you may have one clipboard under ctrl+v (right click and so on...) and second under mousebutton3 (middle one).
Also be sure you don't copy any additional spaces.

Offline bacchist

• View Profile
Would be easy to change password if you have brainkey. Problem is: you'll not see brainkey without entering correct password.
Do you have brainkey writed down somewhere?

To import from bin file you must enter correct password - bin file is already encrypted.
When importing from brainkey you can enter new one.

Check capslock.
I did not create a brain key at any point.

Caps lock would not be the issue, because I have my password saved in a password manager. I copy it from there and paste it in the password field.

Offline nmywn

• View Profile
Would be easy to change password if you have brainkey. Problem is: you'll not see brainkey without entering correct password.
Do you have brainkey writed down somewhere?

To import from bin file you must enter correct password - bin file is already encrypted.
When importing from brainkey you can enter new one.

Check capslock.

Offline bacchist

• View Profile
Hi, yes it is me. :)

My account name is brxstr on here, though.

Not actually my first experience with bitshares, as I've been using it for a couple weeks now. I have made a few deposits and trades, and things have been working fine up to this point.

I'm using the webwallet at https://bitshares.openledger.info/ and I'm running Linux.

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Hello bacchist (from steemit!),

Sorry that this was your first experience with Bitshares.

Which wallet are you using, the standalone one or a web wallet?

Which operating system are you running?

Offline bacchist

• View Profile
I purchased some BTS this morning and transferred them to my account. I attempted to make a trade, and when prompted to log in I was unable to do so. It gave me an error saying invalid password. I tried this several times, because I am 100% certain that I did not change my password and I'm using the correct password.

I also tried to recover my account using the .bin that I saved, and I am getting an error saying it is an invalid format.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.