Author Topic: [Worker Proposal] Project administration & essential maintenance  (Read 29220 times)

Offline vikram

This proposal is based on my original thread here: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23474.msg300044.html#msg300044

Soledger Inc. (myself and @Agent86) is proposing a BitShares worker for handling administrative and maintenance tasks including--but not limited to--the following:
  • Emergency security patches
  • Emergency network stability patches
  • Merge upstream Graphene, fc, other library updates
  • Fix important compilation and compatibility issues
  • Tag core releases
  • Manage GitHub issue tracker
  • Manage GitHub pull requests
  • Consolidate high-quality community projects into BitShares GitHub organization
  • Consolidate and maintain other important documentation to help ease contributing and integrating
I have prior experience with all of these tasks from when I was project manager of BitShares 1.

We think it's important that a specific party maintains responsibility for addressing any emergency issues that disrupt the ongoing stability and operations of the network. In addition, it is my experience that it is helpful to have an unambiguous project administrator to act as a clear point of contact to help coordinate community contributions, avoid fragmentation of community efforts, and generally help keep things organized so that important information is readily accessible.

Taking into account that the BitShares codebase is reasonably stable at present, we have chosen a pay rate of 10,000 BTS/day for this worker. At a conservative exchange rate of $0.004/BTS, this is roughly $1200/month or $14,500/year. $0.004/BTS currently corresponds roughly to a market cap of $10.3 million. At the time of posting, the current price is around $0.0045/BTS and market cap $11.6 million.

For comparison, here are the most recent expired workers:

This Soledger worker has been defined to last until 2017-12-31. For those who want to approve this worker, please choose the correct version that expires in 2017, instead of my first attempt that was mistakenly set to expire in 2016:

If and when this worker is approved, I will request full administrative permissions for the BitShares GitHub organization (https://github.com/bitshares/). Upon acquiring said permissions, I will begin to perform any reorganization/cleanup/updating that I see fit, in line with the tasks outlined in the initial bullet points.

Edit: Given the decentralized nature of the greater BitShares project, I think it is important that currently active community leaders hold some administrative authority, and so if I am given GitHub admin permissions, I will also look into adding other admins: @xeroc and @svk are two names that come to mind.

Thank you to all stakeholders for your consideration.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 09:04:07 pm by vikram »