Author Topic: Where is BitShares headed?  (Read 9299 times)

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Something GChicken said on another thread today:

I honestly see Bitshares as a combination of killer features (scale-ability, speed, governance, flexibility, MPAs(Market Pegged Assets), UIAs(User Issued Assets), Stable-coins, prediction markets) in a world where its competitors individually can only compete on one or two items. But the rest of the world doesn't share my opinion through lack of visibility, education and maybe a marketing issue. i know personally when i get someone to actually try the platform they are blown away, this is not your run of the mill cloned bitcoin wallet; they maybe a little set back at first as it can be a lot to take in, but in general the recognise the functionality and point of differance.

Do y'all  think Bitshares might benefit from a little brand segregation? Nothing about the project needs to fundamentally change and I am not suggesting that we rebrand the core project, but would we make more headway if niche features were represented as new and novel on a new website with a new brand? Obviously it would take a team to implement, but I am thinking a bitshares version of Augur. Augur is built on ethereum, but maintains its own identity. The Bitshares prediction market is built into Bitshares we just need a unique name and a site dedicated just to it, kinda like Openledger does for the exchange aspects. I understand OL has an interface with the prediction market, but let's be honest...  This way we can be clear and focused in our promotion of the platform. Go here for a DEX and here for a decentralized prediction market kinda thing.

Also at the moment the prediction market allows the market creator to decide who wins, may I respectfully say I like Augur's solution much more... we kinda need to address that.
A great opportunity for a keen entrepreneur to jump on  :)
The projects are opensource and very free. If you see an opportunity, go for it. The space is still very new so there are many opportunities. It wont be like that forever.
The question is just whether there is a way to do this legally. As far as I know, but I don't know much, operating PMs for US customers is illegal. Does anyone know more about this, particularly about the legality outside the US.

Offline jacobcarl

• View Profile
    • application development company india

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans

I honestly see Bitshares as a combination of killer features (scale-ability, speed, governance, flexibility, MPAs(Market Pegged Assets), UIAs(User Issued Assets), Stable-coins, prediction markets) in a world where its competitors individually can only compete on one or two items. But the rest of the world doesn't share my opinion through lack of visibility, education and maybe a marketing issue. i know personally when i get someone to actually try the platform they are blown away, this is not your run of the mill cloned bitcoin wallet; they maybe a little set back at first as it can be a lot to take in, but in general the recognise the functionality and point of differance.

Do y'all  think Bitshares might benefit from a little brand segregation? Nothing about the project needs to fundamentally change and I am not suggesting that we rebrand the core project, but would we make more headway if niche features were represented as new and novel on a new website with a new brand? Obviously it would take a team to implement, but I am thinking a bitshares version of Augur. Augur is built on ethereum, but maintains its own identity. The Bitshares prediction market is built into Bitshares we just need a unique name and a site dedicated just to it, kinda like Openledger does for the exchange aspects. I understand OL has an interface with the prediction market, but let's be honest...  This way we can be clear and focused in our promotion of the platform. Go here for a DEX and here for a decentralized prediction market kinda thing.

Also at the moment the prediction market allows the market creator to decide who wins, may I respectfully say I like Augur's solution much more... we kinda need to address that.
A great opportunity for a keen entrepreneur to jump on  :)
The projects are opensource and very free. If you see an opportunity, go for it. The space is still very new so there are many opportunities. It wont be like that forever.

Offline mr-whitekey

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 04:38:29 am by mr-whitekey »

Offline R

• View Profile
Graphene 2.0?

steemit.com/steem/@steemitblog/steem-developer-update-graphene-2-0
+5%
Doesn't serve to improve the bitshares exchange.
Yes, I agree. Improvements could be made to the browser wallet to improve user friendliness.

What would be some of the security drawbacks? A centralized entity is trusted not to loose your wallet files incase you loose them.

Is SVK not on DPOS payroll? If not, and if he wants, he should be. There is a ton to be done!

You can look at the current workers here: https://cryptofresh.com/workers

The worker system is not being used, at all.
Should the minimum vote weight required for worker approval be reduced? If you don't vote in an IRL election your vote isn't counted as opposition but rather ignored.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
Thats cool. Is this work being done by Openledger or Graphene?

Offline mr-whitekey

Interesting info in the chat box today:

anonymous2572: do you have any roadmap or plans on GUI work?
anonymous1131: note that openledger here is always run by me Ronny Boesing
anonymous1131: I think you will see something nicve coming up in octiober
anonymous1131: almost done

anonymous2572: thats great to hear. I'm on here a lot and see very confused new users. hope to see improvements
anonymous2572: keep up the good work, this project has amazing potential
anonymous1131: yes, the new gui is meant to offer users three diffent ways to access
anonymous1131: basic, casual and experienced

Hope it is true! It needs a make over.

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
Interesting info in the chat box today:

anonymous2572: do you have any roadmap or plans on GUI work?
anonymous1131: note that openledger here is always run by me Ronny Boesing
anonymous1131: I think you will see something nicve coming up in octiober
anonymous1131: almost done

anonymous2572: thats great to hear. I'm on here a lot and see very confused new users. hope to see improvements
anonymous2572: keep up the good work, this project has amazing potential
anonymous1131: yes, the new gui is meant to offer users three diffent ways to access
anonymous1131: basic, casual and experienced

Offline fuzzy

How do we the community jump start this project?

The current state of visible development and activity around BitShares simply makes me sad.  I had become used to seeing constant development and excitement going from Protoshares > BtiShares > BitShares 2.0.  There was always something to look forward to, a roadmap, a better version etc...  Every since Dan and team departed to work on Steem we have not seen the community engagement this project deserves.

Looking around, you can see Satoshi had left Bitcoin and a world wide community has been pushing it ever since.  Glancing at Steem shows community development outside of the core team.  BitShares with it's very advanced blockchain technology should be attracting more development, what is holding this back?

Currently visible:
Xeroc always helping anyway he can.
Abitmore working on some blockchain code fixes
SVK working on the GUI
BitShares Munich with BlockPay and stealth.
Chronos working on videos
Stan always dropping interesting hints about things to come

Here is the feedback I am looking for:

1.  What developments or enhancements need to be done?  Let's prioritize a list.  (Be specific, is it a blockchain issue, gui issues, advertising issues etc...)
2.  With worker proposals at a standstill, how do we flip this around?

I'll start.

GUI Browser support:
-We need an active worker to make sure this works on all major browsers.  This is significantly important and I can not see why ALL proxies would not vote to make this happen.  This alone is worth having @svk on the payroll.  SVK if this is something you can accomplish, how much do you need to make this happen?

GUI account creation:  I know this is openledger specific but that is all we have right now
-I try to monitor the chat box on openledger and often see users still do not understand the relationship between openledger and bitshares.  The comment "Your Web Browser is your Wallet" confuses people.  In the chat box they ask if this is hosted, why do they need to backup etc...  Something along the lines of "your web browser connects you to the bitshares blockchain via OpenLedger" could help clear this up.  "Your wallet never leaves your web browser" could also strengthen the security concerns.

GUI Market Organization:  I also see people confused on the now countless amount of markets available. 
-Perhaps adding a filtering option where users can only view BitAsset markets?
-Simple shapeshift style guided trades.  Have another tab at the top next to exchange, no graphs, just simple drop down boxes.  Version 1 could have simply your assets on the drop down box on the left and what you want to receive on the right if that trading pair exists.  Version 2 could automatically make multiple trades to get you what you want regardless of fee's/slippage.
-Is there a way to split the screen and have two markets open at once?  I often check liquidity in similar markets, ie BTS/Steem vs BTC/Steem to see where it makes sense to trade.

Blockchain:
-Many users are asking how to run the bitshares blockchain locally.  I see some documentation from Xeroc however is there a way we can provide pre packaged installations?  We can mimic Bitcoin with their "core" compared to other wallet options.  Windows/OSX/Linux/Raspberry PI options would be great.  https://steemit.com/bitshares/@ash/how-to-use-bitshares-via-the-interplanetary-file-system-ipfs is also interesting...

-Add worker proposal creation to the GUI.  We may want to recommend posting the proposal on steemit to create synergy and a single source of information.
-Is there a way for users to get notification of new worker proposals without having to constantly check?  A toggle switch for those interested in this would help.
-Can we add a data entry field where large proxies can put a reason why they vote approve/disapprove?  A small field with a link to their reasoning?

There is much we need to do, but i am certain we can cover it and ensure payment these days if we are smart, organized and work together to accomplish focused missions.

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
Graphene 2.0?

+5%
Yes, I agree. Improvements could be made to the browser wallet to improve user friendliness.

What would be some of the security drawbacks? A centralized entity is trusted not to loose your wallet files incase you loose them.

Is SVK not on DPOS payroll? If not, and if he wants, he should be. There is a ton to be done!

You can look at the current workers here: https://cryptofresh.com/workers

The worker system is not being used, at all.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
Graphene 2.0?

+5%

Online 天籁

• View Profile
Graphene 2.0?

+5%

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
Graphene 2.0?

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
Combining the lists.  I'd like to let this roll for awhile and see what everyone comes up with.  Around a weeks time we can then prioritize what should be tackled first and find the right person for that job.

GUI related:
GUI Browser support:
-We need an active worker to make sure this works on all major browsers.  This is significantly important and I can not see why ALL proxies would not vote to make this happen.  This alone is worth having @svk on the payroll.  SVK if this is something you can accomplish, how much do you need to make this happen?

GUI account creation:  I know this is openledger specific but that is all we have right now
-I try to monitor the chat box on openledger and often see users still do not understand the relationship between openledger and bitshares.  The comment "Your Web Browser is your Wallet" confuses people.  In the chat box they ask if this is hosted, why do they need to backup etc...  Something along the lines of "your web browser connects you to the bitshares blockchain via OpenLedger" could help clear this up.  "Your wallet never leaves your web browser" could also strengthen the security concerns.

GUI Market Organization:  I also see people confused on the now countless amount of markets available.
-Perhaps adding a filtering option where users can only view BitAsset markets?
-Simple shapeshift style guided trades.  Have another tab at the top next to exchange, no graphs, just simple drop down boxes.  Version 1 could have simply your assets on the drop down box on the left and what you want to receive on the right if that trading pair exists.  Version 2 could automatically make multiple trades to get you what you want regardless of fee's/slippage.
-Is there a way to split the screen and have two markets open at once?  I often check liquidity in similar markets, ie BTS/Steem vs BTC/Steem to see where it makes sense to trade.

Blockchain related:
-Easy way to run/host bitshares blockchain locally.  I see some documentation from Xeroc however is there a way we can provide pre packaged installations?  We can mimic Bitcoin with their "core" compared to other wallet options.  Windows/OSX/Linux/Raspberry PI options would be great.  https://steemit.com/bitshares/@ash/how-to-use-bitshares-via-the-interplanetary-file-system-ipfs is also interesting...

Sidechains:
-I think side chains are important and would be a huge move forward in relation to trust in the DEX; Smartcoins are great but making the user trust a 3rd parties to make good on the UIA that they are trading will always be a sore point for a 'trustless' decentralised exchange. UIA have their place but for trading other altcoins i think sidechained assets are important  and at the moment would give us a big jump on the market.

Login for webwallets: I do recall Bitshares Munich talking about implementing this idea.
-Perhaps give the user the option with each one clearly detailed.  Web based = less secure, log in from anywhere.  Local based, most secure but must have backup file.

Worker related
-Add worker proposal creation to the GUI.  We may want to recommend posting the proposal on steemit to create synergy and a single source of information.
-Is there a way for users to get notification of new worker proposals without having to constantly check?  A toggle switch for those interested in this would help.
-Can we add a data entry field where large proxies can put a reason why they vote approve/disapprove?  A small field with a link to their reasoning?

Blockchain explorer
-Continue development of Cryptofresh explorer.  Anything specific to be added or maintained here?

Offline R

• View Profile
How about starting small and fixing the block explorer.  It hasn't displayed the correct value for BTS for months...  If something as simple as this can't be maintained, how is BTS ever going to be able to handle a larger and more complex project?
Is it open source? If it was we may see multiple block explorers being created..