Author Topic: btc38 hacked and 10M BTS stolen  (Read 7568 times)

Offline KenMonkey

• View Profile
  • BitShares: kmnk
Does this account belong to the hacker or to BTC38? has anyone confirmed this? i thought it was BTC38; but the order on the DEX for 10 Open.BTC makes me think otherwise.

if it is the hacker; who are we to say he can't have his money. maybe it was his money in the first place and BTC38 stole it from him/her.... not likely but we don't know and we should not care either. on the edges this maybe different (Blocktrades, Open Ledger, PoloniEX) but the core Bitshares network should not judge.

It's pretty blatant this account belongs to whomever hacked BTC38 as they emptied all BTC38s hot accounts into one. (see the first post on this thread and see history of those BTC38 accounts)

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore

The thing I'm asking is if openledger can put a blacklist on this account for the open.btc asset.
Technically it's possible for the core asset BTS as well.

IMHO, I prefer a hands-off approach from the token issuer and gateway operator.  If they begin blacklisting, whose to say what is and is not justification for such a blacklist.
Just FYI I was wrong and my comment is edited now.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline kani

• View Profile

The thing I'm asking is if openledger can put a blacklist on this account for the open.btc asset.

IMHO, I prefer a hands-off approach from the token issuer and gateway operator.  If they begin blacklisting, whose to say what is and is not justification for such a blacklist.
My opinions are my own

Turn up the H.E.A.T.

Offline GChicken

• View Profile
Does this account belong to the hacker or to BTC38? has anyone confirmed this? i thought it was BTC38; but the order on the DEX for 10 Open.BTC makes me think otherwise.

if it is the hacker; who are we to say he can't have his money. maybe it was his money in the first place and BTC38 stole it from him/her.... not likely but we don't know and we should not care either. on the edges this maybe different (Blocktrades, Open Ledger, PoloniEX) but the core Bitshares network should not judge.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore

//Edit: I was wrong.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 04:33:31 pm by abit »
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline KenMonkey

• View Profile
Looks like btsx-bitshare is starting to sell. Is there anyway openledger could blacklist this account from buying open.assets?

It's sad to see crime on the bts blockchain and of course there is always the inherent freedom to transfer assets you own, but we should do everything we can to track and prevent btsx-bitshare's activity.

Who's to say BTC38 itself is not behind the "hack?"  Much the same can be said for Gox...
+5%

Yeah yeah yeah, it could be BTC38, who knows (If they're refunding their customer then it probably wasn't them?). You can't trust centralized exchanges further than you can throw them. But....

chryspano

Looks like btsx-bitshare is starting to sell. Is there anyway openledger could blacklist this account from buying open.assets?

It's sad to see crime on the bts blockchain and of course there is always the inherent freedom to transfer assets you own, but we should do everything we can to track and prevent btsx-bitshare's activity.

Who's to say BTC38 itself is not behind the "hack?"  Much the same can be said for Gox...
+5%

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile

Offline KenMonkey

• View Profile

Offline KenMonkey

• View Profile
So are users going to get their funds back? Anyone here using that exchange?
It could mean big demand and price bump for BTS if btc38 has to buy back 20M BTS. So that's alright, as long as the hacker doesn't start selling.

Hopefully we can catch that pig fucker

Although why anyone uses these centralized exchanges with light-years more secure BAE available is beyond me.

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
Here you have the most fantastic exchange ever created and the people who SHOULD be using it the most aren't.

How can the Bitshares community convince others to use their exchange if they don't use it themselves???  Shame.

EXACTLY THIS ^^^

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: jademont
Good time to promote Bitshares Exchange +5%
BTS committee member:jademont

Offline infovortice2013

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BitShares en español
  • BitShares: traderx
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 11:55:14 am by infovortice2013 »
New Keyoteeid: 5rUhuLCDWUA2FStkKVRTWYEqY1mZhwpfVdRmYEvMRFRD1bqYAL
new08/21 id 5Sjf3LMuYPSeNnjLYXmAoHj5Z6TPCmwmfXD6XwDmg27dwfQ

Offline Chris4210

• Keep Building!
    • View Profile
    • www.payger.com
  • BitShares: chris4210
There seems to be an increase in targeted hacks of exchanges, VC, C-Level and more across the Blockchain industry. The Forbes article described it all.  I think its time for all of us to think about more what it means to be your own bank and how much own security you need to manage to safe your funds.
Vote Chris4210 for Committee Member http://bit.ly/1WKC03B! | www.Payger.com - Payments + Messenger | www.BitShareshub.io - Community based fanpage for the BitShares Blockchain

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
btc38 being shit as usual. nothing to see here