Author Topic: BitShares Seed Nodes  (Read 12532 times)

Offline R

• View Profile
New Telegram chat for BTS node admins: https://t.me/BTS_Node_Admins

Offline knaperek

and what is the term duration in being a witness?  is it 1 month? 6 months?  or as long as they got the votes?
Your witness will be in service as long as it gets the votes. Each stakeholder can vote or withdraw their vote anytime and the votes are counted once each maintenance interval.

Offline hardinero007

• View Profile
hi experts, my company has a server which is online 24/7 and have permanent ip address.  can we make this server also bitshares server?  what are the requirements to become a seed?  do seeds earn bts in return?
Only witness nodes get rewards.

thanks for reply.  i wonder how many witnesses do we have currently?  i guess only around 30-50?  and what is the term duration in being a witness?  is it 1 month? 6 months?  or as long as they got the votes?

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
hi experts, my company has a server which is online 24/7 and have permanent ip address.  can we make this server also bitshares server?  what are the requirements to become a seed?  do seeds earn bts in return?
Only witness nodes get rewards.

Offline hardinero007

• View Profile

Offline knaperek

Thanks for nice breakdown @sahkan. I've put it to table based on your definition.

RoleStores blockchainPublic RPCProvides blockchain via p2pGenerates blocksIncludes history plugins
Witness
Seed
Full node/

All roles are covered by the built-in witness_node program and the particular role is determined by configuration and environment implications.

Other opinions are welcome :-)

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
Here are my definitions of BTS nodes:
Witness - Stores blockchain, limits CLI access to local port, provides p2p for blockchain downloads, generates blocks, and does not include history plugins
Seed - Stores blockchain, limits CLI access to local port, provides p2p for blockchain downloads, does not generate blocks, and does not include history plugins
Full node - Stores blockchain, opens CLI access to www (for the community) or limits it to local port (for example runs on your computer to provide fast wallet sync), provides p2p for blockchain downloads, does not generate blocks, and includes history plugins

Offline knaperek

In BitShares, seed nodes also serve as full nodes.
That means seed nodes are techically no different from full nodes; they are in fact just a subset of all full nodes known to be stable and trustworthy enough be listed (hard-coded) in the default node software. That is an interesting clarification, thank you abit and I hope other newcomers will find this information valuable also.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
I was just hoping it would be possible to run a single seed node that works for any chain ID, similarly to BitTorrent DHT nodes.
Not possible so far.
Thanks for the clarification abit. For some reason I thought there were two types of nodes :
1.) Seed nodes that only provide node discovery service
2.) Actual full nodes (or witnesses) that keep track of the blockchain and serve blocks to other peers on request
If this was the case then I guess the seed nodes could be made more generic and thus shared among all graphene based projects (Bitshares, Steem, ...), which could provide better reliability overall. I'd draw a parallel with BitTorrent  - no matter which torrent you are downloading, the DHT nodes are the same (disregarding some optimizations that are not important in this context because the number of chains is significantly lower than the number of BitTorrent infohashes).

So, please corrent me if I'm wrong, but the way it works now is that there's no role separation between Seed nodes and Witness nodes and there's just a single program (binary) that runs it, listening on a single port, right?
In BitShares, seed nodes also serve as full nodes.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline knaperek

I was just hoping it would be possible to run a single seed node that works for any chain ID, similarly to BitTorrent DHT nodes.
Not possible so far.
Thanks for the clarification abit. For some reason I thought there were two types of nodes :
1.) Seed nodes that only provide node discovery service
2.) Actual full nodes (or witnesses) that keep track of the blockchain and serve blocks to other peers on request
If this was the case then I guess the seed nodes could be made more generic and thus shared among all graphene based projects (Bitshares, Steem, ...), which could provide better reliability overall. I'd draw a parallel with BitTorrent  - no matter which torrent you are downloading, the DHT nodes are the same (disregarding some optimizations that are not important in this context because the number of chains is significantly lower than the number of BitTorrent infohashes).

So, please corrent me if I'm wrong, but the way it works now is that there's no role separation between Seed nodes and Witness nodes and there's just a single program (binary) that runs it, listening on a single port, right?

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
Not possible so far.

Offline knaperek

Hello, I'm creating a custom blockchain forked from BitShares and would be happy to give back to the BitShares community and open up my Seed Nodes for BitShares users as well. So I was wondering whether it is possible to have a single seed node that supports multiple Chain IDs. Any ideas?
You can use different port for different chains.
I guess this implies running a separate instance for each chain ID, bound to a unique port on the system. Well that is an option of course, I was just hoping it would be possible to run a single seed node that works for any chain ID, similarly to BitTorrent DHT nodes.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
Hello, I'm creating a custom blockchain forked from BitShares and would be happy to give back to the BitShares community and open up my Seed Nodes for BitShares users as well. So I was wondering whether it is possible to have a single seed node that supports multiple Chain IDs. Any ideas?
You can use different port for different chains.

Offline knaperek

iHashFury

Please amend my seed node details from:

"212.47.249.84:50696", //     (France)

to

"seed.bitsharesdex.com:50696", //     (Europe)

Thanks