Author Topic: Integrate Hardware Wallet into the Bitshares DEX??  (Read 7558 times)

Offline mr-whitekey

My plans are to establish a few services that help me earn sufficiently so that i can focus efforts also on things that dont directly make a profit ... such as trezor coding.

If you can come up with a business plan around trezor that does not make us a 'seller' of the hardware, i am all ears
[/quote]

Would a worker proposal be a good fit for this project?

As far as a business plan goes, to me a fully functional decentralized exchange that can trade bitcoin decentralized is the goal. We get there by a worker proposal or by privet funding. We either get OpenLedger on board or we clone the site and launch a new DEX interface, but with more substantial support for Bitcoin, Ethereum and Dash by way of a hardware wallet like Ledger Nano S or trezor. The exchange would monetize if we could grow it.

I am sure I am missing something obvious, like why this has not already been done, but it seems like a very worthy goal.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
@svk .. maybe we should work together and get the BTS/Steem integration going. Lets have a chat about this .. it shouldnt take too much efforts to bring trezor to BTS given our current status .. maybe we could do a crowdfund for development ..

This would be yuuuuge!
It would be. I can not understand why this is not focused on more. With this functionality we would have a real and ligitimate reason to use the DEX for BTC trading and a pathway to extend it to other cryptocurrenties. Present this to the wider community and we have a substantial shot at massively growing Open Ledger. As OL is built on BTS we would start to put BTS back into the reserve pool at a faster rate and there would be ppl who buy BTS just to pay the fees if nothing else.

If what the community claims is true, that BTS is a superior technology, then exposer of this sort would only bring more interest, talent and growth prospects to the BTS "ecosystem".

I want to help us grow, but do not have the raw programming talent to pull this off. However, I could begin marketing BTS in earnest if I believed this could be done.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
My plans are to establish a few services that help me earn sufficiently so that i can focus efforts also on things that dont directly make a profit ... such as trezor coding.

If ypu can come up with a business plan around trezor that does not make us a 'seller' of the hardware, i am all ears

Offline mr-whitekey

@svk .. maybe we should work together and get the BTS/Steem integration going. Lets have a chat about this .. it shouldnt take too much efforts to bring trezor to BTS given our current status .. maybe we could do a crowdfund for development ..

This would be yuuuuge!
It would be. I can not understand why this is not focused on more. With this functionality we would have a real and ligitimate reason to use the DEX for BTC trading and a pathway to extend it to other cryptocurrenties. Present this to the wider community and we have a substantial shot at massively growing Open Ledger. As OL is built on BTS we would start to put BTS back into the reserve pool at a faster rate and there would be ppl who buy BTS just to pay the fees if nothing else.

If what the community claims is true, that BTS is a superior technology, then exposer of this sort would only bring more interest, talent and growth prospects to the BTS "ecosystem".

I want to help us grow, but do not have the raw programming talent to pull this off. However, I could begin marketing BTS in earnest if I believed this could be done.

Offline karnal

• View Profile

This would be yuuuuge!

Offline mr-whitekey

It this just technically not possible, or do people just not care?
It is technically possible and a major junk of work has already been done. It's a matter of how to fund further development.
That is very good news. If we could offer this to the BTC community, our network would have competitive edge. Do you have an estimation on funds and timing needed?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
It is technically possible and a major junk of work has already been done. It's a matter of how to fund further development.

Offline mr-whitekey

Offline mr-whitekey

I think the trezor web wallet is open source now, could just add a tab to the gui that clones it.   https://github.com/trezor/webwallet-data
I would support that. Seems like we would want that. However, having the trezor web wallet accessable in the Dex is only half the idea. Once it is accessible will I be able to trade them like using the Dex?

I am probably asking too much and showing my ignorance of how the Bitshares network works l, but it seems key.

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
    • twitter.com/jonnybitcoin
I think the trezor web wallet is open source now, could just add a tab to the gui that clones it.   https://github.com/trezor/webwallet-data
I run the @bitshares twitter handle
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline mr-whitekey

This would be fantastic.  But I think OPs question is different than whether or not BTS can be integrated with trezor wallet.  He wants to know about the possibility of incorporating other native wallets with the bitshares wallet. This is something I've been thinking about lately too.  It would be amazing if we could incorporate other native wallets, similar to the way Exodus Wallet has...which would enable in-wallet, shapeshift-like exchange of assets over which the user controls all keys.

Obviously this wouldn't be a traditional exchange-like orderbook trading experience.  But the storage of the supported coins would be decentralized, which would add another important decentralized aspect to the bitshares wallet experience.  What would it take to accomplish this?
Yes, that is it. It would be different than most exchanges and could truly set us apart form any supported cryptocurrenty. After this feature we would have a fresh reason to launch a large scale advertising campaign. We would truly be a decentralized exchange for non BTS based tokens.

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2

This would be fantastic.  But I think OPs question is different than whether or not BTS can be integrated with trezor wallet.  He wants to know about the possibility of incorporating other native wallets with the bitshares wallet. This is something I've been thinking about lately too.  It would be amazing if we could incorporate other native wallets, similar to the way Exodus Wallet has...which would enable in-wallet, shapeshift-like exchange of assets over which the user controls all keys.

Obviously this wouldn't be a traditional exchange-like orderbook trading experience.  But the storage of the supported coins would be decentralized, which would add another important decentralized aspect to the bitshares wallet experience.  What would it take to accomplish this? 

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline mr-whitekey

Thanks, I had heard about the possibility of putting Steem on Trezor and know that some want BTS on it also. However, I want to have by bitcoin on my trezot/ledger nano s and use that to integrate into the Bitshares DEX. It would truly complete the DEX and leave little excuse for others not to adopt it.

Basically, with a trezor in hand I could log into the Dex access my bitocin waller (with my keys on the trezor) and exchange with anyone doing the same.

Offline nmywn

• View Profile
I don't understand much but read comments: https://steemit.com/steem/@svk/trezor-hackathon-putting-steem-on-the-trezor

Offline mr-whitekey

The other thought would be to integrate hardware wallet functionality into the desktop client.