Author Topic: Stealthier stealth  (Read 2203 times)

Offline bobmaloney

BitShares Stealth works similar to Monero. The user transfers funds into a stealth account, once the funds are in the stealth account, you cannot track it anymore.

A stealth transaction is between two stealth accounts and a blockchain explorer will only find "unknown send n unknown to unknown".

ETA?
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Hey chris, thanks for replying.

I understand that, with monero it is however not possible to even know that a transfer was made from a certain address (by design).

I further realize that this could be somewhat worked around by creating different accounts for different purposes in Bitshares, but to me this seems to somewhat defeat part of the purpose of having named accounts - altough privacy-savvy users will do this anyway, with different services - the same happens with monero right now altough it will be addressed (heh) with sub-addresses (heh) soon, iirc.

The above scenario would be for instance using the same address on poloniex and shapeshift, both services would then start building a profile on XMR sent to/from the address, even if this information is not visible on the blockchain.

Such scenarios are more serious with Bitshares+stealth, since it is visible on the blockchain that the user spent funds after using such a service.

I like and 100% stand behind the belief that a good cryptocurrency should be like cash in terms of privacy, but you already knew that ;)

My concern here is that even with Stealth as I understand it now, every time we spend, it's akin to advertising to the entire world: "just spent money!".

In simpler terms, it seems to me that there is more information being leaked than necessary, and that over time this will have unintended consequences.

As a not-perfect-but-hopefully-enlightening analogy, we had the (perhaps not so shocking) revelations that would-be Tor users are automatically targeted for further scrutiny/logging just by visiting torproject.org.

What do you guys think ?

Offline Chris4210

• Keep Building!
    • View Profile
    • www.payger.com
  • BitShares: chris4210
BitShares Stealth works similar to Monero. The user transfers funds into a stealth account, once the funds are in the stealth account, you cannot track it anymore.

A stealth transaction is between two stealth accounts and a blockchain explorer will only find "unknown send n unknown to unknown".
Vote Chris4210 for Committee Member http://bit.ly/1WKC03B! | www.Payger.com - Payments + Messenger | www.BitShareshub.io - Community based fanpage for the BitShares Blockchain

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Hello everyone!

Through sheer luck while searching for a solution to an unrelated problem, I came across this (very recent) article:

https://coinidol.com/bitshares-munich-to-unleash-project-stealth/

Once more, having been gone for awhile, I would like to express my thanks to @kenCode, @Chris4210 and the rest of the team for having picked this up, I'm convinced this work will do wonders for adoption ..

One quote stood up from the article for me, the following:

Quote from: TFA
What I personally really like about Stealth is that it only shows one message:
“unknown” sent “n” “unknown” to “unknown” - plus a timestamp.
That’s it.

Here's an observation: Wouldn't it be better if there was no record at all? That an observer couldn't even tell that any transfer was made from account X.

Depending on the (legit) circumstances, it can already be way too much information to even be able to tell that a transfer was made from a certain account.

Take Monero, for instance, even if you knew the address of the sender through third-party means, the total balance of that address (account in bitshares) cannot be queried, you can't even find out if transfers were made to/from it.

This, I believe, is ideal.

Thoughts?