Author Topic: DO NOT USE PtsGPUz0.3.exe | hidden pts workers  (Read 15087 times)

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: jademont
Re: DO NOT USE PtsGPUz0.3.exe | hidden pts workers
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 04:11:08 pm »
Time will beat all of those greedy developers, and people will finally choose the best one, why they are so short-sighted...
BTS committee member:jademont

Offline pushme

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 11:55:08 am »
modified version 0.3b with less donates (3% fee) - http://www.multiupload.nl/2L36XATGR5
modified binary: PtsGPUz0.3b-fee3.exe is protected against analyze
If anyone was suspicious of the original binary from a recognized, long time forum user - I'd encourage you all to be suspicious of this one from a 30-minute old user, their only two posts being links to the binary...

Just sayin.
that's true, I have joined this forum just to share patched binary...
anyway I hope after this developer will decrease % in next version ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 12:17:57 am by pushme »

Offline r05

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 11:38:46 am »
modified version 0.3 with less donates (20% -> 5%) and only one donation pool - http://www.multiupload.nl/QQQ4NFRNPL
modified binary: PtsGPUz0.3_lessdonate.exe is protected against analyze
If anyone was suspicious of the original binary from a recognized, long time forum user - I'd encourage you all to be suspicious of this one from a 30-minute old user, their only two posts being links to the binary...

Just sayin.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:41:00 am by r05 »
If I have helped you, please consider buying me a beer:
PTS: PZ6ZED8q1i7nQqnZiwFHdgLMELi3sgpnzL
BTC: 1CPF64k1AraWAUiDSh2QthRhbtJJznzRtw

Offline pushme

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 11:12:59 am »
modified version 0.3b with less donates (3% fee) - http://www.multiupload.nl/2L36XATGR5
modified binary: PtsGPUz0.3b-fee3.exe is protected against analyze
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 12:17:23 am by pushme »

Offline daem0n

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 09:01:33 pm »
What protocol does the miner use? TCP or UDP?

TCP

Offline oddworld

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 08:02:00 pm »
What protocol does the miner use? TCP or UDP?

Offline duckproto

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 07:07:46 pm »
Won't that just mine but not actually submit shares? (not actually benefitting the user?)

Without it being able to pull data down from the server, what exactly is it going to mine?  By blocking the stratum server and denying that part of it data, it isn't working so your not throwing away resources.

My cpm went up 30/min the second I blocked it's access to those pools.

Offline r05

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 06:10:01 pm »
Imagine if dga never released his code - no GPU miners would be available!
1gh miner is not based on dga code and was available back in November - but not for the petty 1BTC that the bounty was back then.
I stand corrected. It was a bit of a sweeping statement but the point I'm trying to make is that if developers don't release their code for public use, then forks of their code would be difficult to write and derivatives would be far and few between.. If developers want to release a binary then that is fine, but then the users of that binary have to accept and put trust in the developer, that development and the functionality of that program.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:35:50 pm by r05 »

Offline reorder

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 06:05:45 pm »
Imagine if dga never released his code - no GPU miners would be available!
1gh miner is not based on dga code and was available back in November - but not for the petty 1BTC that the bounty was back then.

Offline r05

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 05:39:28 pm »
Wow.... just wow.....

@OP, I dont mind 5% or so, maybe even 10%, but 20% is a whole lot man.

I don't see what the issue is. You're using free software - you're not paying for it - and you're complaining about a percentage going back to the author that has taken their time, resources and expertise to produce that free software for you? If you'd have paid $20 for the miner and then without any prior knowledge you're getting 20% of your mining yield donated back to the miner then yes, I can see grounds for complaint... But when the software is free, with it being common knowledge that the open source and binary miners take a donation and it's expressively stated by the authors in README files..

I just think that the developers deserve their donation - whatever the %. If you don't like the % they do take then opt for an open source rather than a closed source miner and patch out the donation if you're really that hard up. Or maybe even build your own miner? If you don't know how to do that, then you're going to have to use the solutions kindly provided by the people who do know how, with all the caveats those bring.. Closed source binary, donationware, low performance - whatever. The developer didn't have to release his code. He could have kept it tucked away for him and his friends. Imagine if dga never released his code - no GPU miners would be available several GPU miners we see now would not be available!

With regard to closed source binaries I think you should be cautious about using anything where you a) can't see the source code yourself and b) have a method of confirming that source code is for that binary. Malicious software in cryptocurrency is all over the place and you have no idea how a binary works. Whether it spawns dedicated "developer" threads or not you have no way of knowing and you really have no grounds to complain there either because again - you haven't paid for it.. I do agree that developers should be as transparent as possible when releasing binaries but that is up to them - it's their software, you haven't paid for it - you have no right to it - so you're at the mercy of the developer whatever the caveats in that binary.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:13:23 pm by r05 »

Offline mav2000

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 05:24:26 pm »
@OP, I dont mind 5% or so, maybe even 10%, but 20% is a whole lot man.

Offline drin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 05:05:43 pm »
not a sure but I think 1gh gpu-miner also have some hidden donation, at least it works strange - eats to much cpu time and also shows not full speed of GPU

on my GTX 580
1GH: ~950-1000 cpm
PtsGPUz0.2ab: ~900-950cpm
PtsGPUz0.3: ~850-900cpm (after optimizations for 384-bit bus? or more donations? )
PtsGPUz0.2ab [disabled donations]: ~1150-1200cpm

How did you disable donations??

just patched some places... you will be surprised - i'm using yam cpu miner also without donations :)
but don't ask me to share it - I still respect other people's work

Offline oddworld

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 04:48:40 pm »
not a sure but I think 1gh gpu-miner also have some hidden donation, at least it works strange - eats to much cpu time and also shows not full speed of GPU

on my GTX 580
1GH: ~950-1000 cpm
PtsGPUz0.2ab: ~900-950cpm
PtsGPUz0.3: ~850-900cpm (after optimizations for 384-bit bus? or more donations? )
PtsGPUz0.2ab [disabled donations]: ~1150-1200cpm

How did you disable donations??

Offline Aber

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 04:38:53 pm »
U got opencl?

Offline abc123

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 04:33:26 pm »
Wow, this is wrong on so many levels. If the developer wants to earn some, he can be upfront about it and leave it up to others to choose a miner.
I have write done this in the 3th line of readme file and posts of all 3 version of mine miner.
Like: "A small portion of user's harvest will be mined to author's account in public mining pools as fee."
And the displayed performance is the net performance you get in all 3 version of mine miner.

Again, I don't think anyone is opposed to developer fees, but we would like you to be more open as to how much is being mined. Can you please elaborate?

16/20 (80%) - mining 4 u
4/20 (20%) - for developer

Code: [Select]
            r = rand() + 65539 * r;
            v = r % 20;
            if ( v == 0 || v == 3 || v > 17 )
            {
               // mining 4 developer
            }
You are right, great job to find this. I don't know how to do so.
But at version 0.1, sometimes there is only 10% for develpoer, due to bug.
The developer fee may be reduced to 5%~8% in next version.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:13:20 pm by abc123 »