Author Topic: Karma  (Read 5792 times)

Offline vikram

Will trade DIGNITY for KARMA.

PM if interested.

LOL

Doesn't a 'Karma' type system just encourage crowd-pleasing nonsense?
Smiting? Someone is always going to have an unpopular opinion on here, and sometimes they are going to be proven correct. We shouldn't be burying this type of content, or discouraging it.
The "Only upvote on merit and not just because you agree with it" policy didn't work at all for places like Reddit. Why should it here?

Yeah I feel the same way about Reddit and similar systems. The difference here is that the value has no direct effect on the order in which posts get displayed.

I've got no strong opinion either way, just considering as an experiment in whether we could develop an additional set of data points to help gauge community opinion, which has always been difficult to do.

Since the forum has no tradition of voting like this and it is unlikely to get traction, and since there is some good argument against, I have disabled it again.

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
I don't think this is needed here... we're all grown ups, no need to applaud or smite
  +5%

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I would like to see the forum a little more professional.
This is(?) a place for potential and current shareholders to come and efficiently gather information about the state of their investment (BitShares)

Is there another place that bts investors can get the latest info? I don't think so.
To encourage new investment there should be a place for investors to efficiently discuss topics relevant to the project in a semi-professional manner.
This is so important because other people will be reading it like an instruction manual, or news report, or a price ticker.
Wall-flowers and lurkers are potential new customers or investors.
Do we want them to spend their limited and precious time reading chit-chat, or discovering one of the 1000's of ways that BitShares is being fantastic?

BitShares is targeting the finance market, they don't all wear suits and conduct business in orderly groups for nothing.
Money is hugely important to people, if they are investing, they want access to up-to-date news and info as quickly as possible.

Writing in concise, simple terms when outlining and idea or project also increases the accuracy of google-translate. Which helps with making information available in as many languages as possible. Obviously complex language is necessary or preferable sometimes. :)

Doesn't a 'Karma' type system just encourage crowd-pleasing nonsense?
Smiting? Someone is always going to have an unpopular opinion on here, and sometimes they are going to be proven correct. We shouldn't be burying this type of content, or discouraging it.
The "Only upvote on merit and not just because you agree with it" policy didn't work at all for places like Reddit. Why should it here?

No offense vikram :)
Nothing personal to anyone

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:36:58 pm by Permie »
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
I don't think this is needed here... we're all grown ups, no need to applaud or smite

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
Will trade DIGNITY for KARMA.

PM if interested.

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
How does it work? What is it?
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline vikram

As an experiment, I've enabled the SMF Karma feature with the following settings: