Author Topic: Why only #3?  (Read 8169 times)

Offline yvv

• View Profile
when I said I dont care about commission low/ high, I did not mean that the low commission should be changed at all. I only meant to say, what does a low commission help, if there are no trader, even ZERO commission would not help
because what is lagging is what is lagging
Liquidity which would make volume trading possible and this is what BTS and DEX needs, also it seems the need of awareness!

It looks like you want to have a broker with a bag of money, who instantly fills your orders for you. This is unlikely going to happen on DEX. Unlike forex, there is no broker on DEX, all market participants are equal, that is why it is called decentralized. Liquidity on DEX will come only with mass adoption by small traders. This is a price you pay for decentralization. And guys with suitcases of money will probably stick with centralized exchanges where they have total control over market.

perhaps I misunderstand decentralized , still centralized or decentralized without liquidity their is no market..and when I say liquidity I mean members which are participating in the market..
this means we have to have more exposure to reach more ppl, I know this will not happen over night, but I feel that OL is not doing enough to attract new members..I might be wrong, but thats what
is what I feel ....I dont see OL to much in the news, whatever kind of Crypto news, no OL or very very seldom..how comes

I agree that OL could do a better job in boosting up liquidity on DEX using funds which they raised from ICOs.

Offline mea123

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mea123
when I said I dont care about commission low/ high, I did not mean that the low commission should be changed at all. I only meant to say, what does a low commission help, if there are no trader, even ZERO commission would not help
Liquidity which would make volume trading possible and this is what BTS and DEX needs, also it seems the need of awareness!

It looks like you want to have a broker with a bag of money, who instantly fills your orders for you. This is unlikely going to happen on DEX. Unlike forex, there is no broker on DEX, all market participants are equal, that is why it is called decentralized. Liquidity on DEX will come only with mass adoption by small traders. This is a price you pay for decentralization. And guys with suitcases of money will probably stick with centralized exchanges where they have total control over market.

perhaps I misunderstand decentralized , still centralized or decentralized without liquidity their is no market..and when I say liquidity I mean members which are participating in the market..
this means we have to have more exposure to reach more ppl, I know this will not happen over night, but I feel that OL is not doing enough to attract new members..I might be wrong, but thats what
is what I feel ....I dont see OL to much in the news, whatever kind of Crypto news, no OL or very very seldom..how comes

Offline yvv

• View Profile

Offline mea123

• View Profile
I would love to hear more of your thoughts about what BitShares is LACKING.[/b]

EXPOSURE, EXPOSURE, EXPOSURE
as a trader I would not trade a currency that nobody trades to begin with,
this exchange seams not to be in the internet time cyberspace, rather like smoke sign time, where ppl like to buy gold have to wait days or weeks to get execution..

[....]

I rather pay more commission and get filled for the prize I ask for.
What good does it, to pay 2 cents commission for an order when I only can get filled after I have to pay 50 dollar more for BTC because I did not get filled..
its a numbers game, that's for the engineers to consider..

The most advanced system isnt worth a dime if it does not fulfill the needs of the user...
Thanks for the insight into the user-experience of trading with BitShares' products.

If BitShares raised the transaction fee to 50% it wouldn't make a jot of difference to this user-experience problem of orders taking ages to fill.
The fees should stay as they are, the absolute bare-bones minimum.
There exists a bottom, a minimum price, for the cost of a crypto-exchange transaction fee. One day a BitShares-rival could (or will) meet this minimum fee so as to undercut other exchanges.
BitShares' low fees is an anti-competition feature.
This means that would-be competitors to the BitShares network are financially incentivized to join-bts. To team up and share slices of an even bigger pie

A lack of liquidity is the real issue facing BitShares. When liquidity arrives (maybe it'll take years) then the DEX will go on to become the most popular financial exchange used by everyone.
But all of the cool world-changing features; the uncensorable transactions, cheap insurance for the common man, the ability for all to hedge their bets and secure their wealth without permission or identification.
This is the niche that BitShares fulfills, and there are no others who can compete. It is cheaper and more profitable to co-operate with BitShares and use the infrastructure that it provides to conduct private business on top of.

Society of the future will want access to these freedom-creating financial products, and BitShares does the best job at providing them.

With one large caveat:
Without liquidity, without market makers, without shorters, without the traders that enable all of these financial products to run smoothly,
...Then BitShares remains an unfinished product.

There are 2 key&essential components of a trade.
#1: The infrastructure: The means with which to conduct the trade.

The gold coin, or bitcoin, serves as money. But you can't create complex insurance policies with just a gold coin.
You can hide your gold in a cave, but you can't trade your gold against the value of another resource without other tools.
Pen's and paper to write IOU's on, "watermarks" to verify document-authenticity, a price-ticker, and so on

Humans have been utilizing financial-products for millenia, they will continue to desire them long into the post-bitcoin era. When a decentralized option becomes available and provides a good user experience (LIQUIDITY), they will flock to it.

#2 The Other Side Of The Trade.
A trade partner, available at your desired time of trade.
In the fiat world, this problem was solved historically by everyone meeting at the same time at the stock-exchange.
The NYSE stock exchange (and all the others) still have limited hours of trading.

Cryptocurrency (specifically the BitShares DEX) allows this trading to occur 24/7.
There need to be traders using the DEX with high-value transactions 24/7 in order for the financial products desired by end-user manifest themselves as a result of trading activity.

End-users cannot purchase the products that they desire unless traders and speculators are already using the exchange, with a trade open and waiting for the end-user to take at their leisure. 

Liquidity is very much a part of the user experience

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
I would love to hear more of your thoughts about what BitShares is LACKING.[/b]

this exchange seams not to be in the internet time cyberspace, rather like smoke sign time, where ppl like to buy gold have to wait days or weeks to get execution..

[....]

What good does it, to pay 2 cents commission for an order when I only can get filled after I have to pay 50 dollar more for BTC because I did not get filled..

The most advanced system isnt worth a dime if it does not fulfill the needs of the user...
Thanks for the insight into the user-experience of trading with BitShares' products.

If BitShares raised the transaction fee to 50% it wouldn't make a jot of difference to this user-experience problem of orders taking ages to fill.
The fees should stay as they are, the absolute bare-bones minimum.
There exists a bottom, a minimum price, for the cost of a crypto-exchange transaction fee. One day a BitShares-rival could (or will) meet this minimum fee so as to undercut other exchanges.
BitShares' low fees is an anti-competition feature.
This means that would-be competitors to the BitShares network are financially incentivized to join-bts. To team up and share slices of an even bigger pie

A lack of liquidity is the real issue facing BitShares. When liquidity arrives (maybe it'll take years) then the DEX will go on to become the most popular financial exchange used by everyone.
But all of the cool world-changing features; the uncensorable transactions, cheap insurance for the common man, the ability for all to hedge their bets and secure their wealth without permission or identification.
This is the niche that BitShares fulfills, and there are no others who can compete. It is cheaper and more profitable to co-operate with BitShares and use the infrastructure that it provides to conduct private business on top of.

Society of the future will want access to these freedom-creating financial products, and BitShares does the best job at providing them.

With one large caveat:
Without liquidity, without market makers, without shorters, without the traders that enable all of these financial products to run smoothly,
...Then BitShares remains an unfinished product.

There are 2 key&essential components of a trade.
#1: The infrastructure: The means with which to conduct the trade.

The gold coin, or bitcoin, serves as money. But you can't create complex insurance policies with just a gold coin.
You can hide your gold in a cave, but you can't trade your gold against the value of another resource without other tools.
Pen's and paper to write IOU's on, "watermarks" to verify document-authenticity, a price-ticker, and so on

Humans have been utilizing financial-products for millenia, they will continue to desire them long into the post-bitcoin era. When a decentralized option becomes available and provides a good user experience (LIQUIDITY), they will flock to it.

#2 The Other Side Of The Trade.
A trade partner, available at your desired time of trade.
In the fiat world, this problem was solved historically by everyone meeting at the same time at the stock-exchange.
The NYSE stock exchange (and all the others) still have limited hours of trading.

Cryptocurrency (specifically the BitShares DEX) allows this trading to occur 24/7.
There need to be traders using the DEX with high-value transactions 24/7 in order for the financial products desired by end-user manifest themselves as a result of trading activity.

End-users cannot purchase the products that they desire unless traders and speculators are already using the exchange, with a trade open and waiting for the end-user to take at their leisure. 

Liquidity is very much a part of the user experience
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2
MT4 platform, easy, liquid and fast execution
perhaps I pay a bit more, but I get in and out in a heartbeat
Could you expand on this?
Is this a competing crypto-exchange?
Cheers

nope is not crypto-exchange, it is just a Broker which offers to trade BTC/USD and this is all what matters to me, fast and furious :), I know my fee, no manipulation no wait , enter order and get filled in a second , sell/ buy same ..I dont care about any other thing as a trader, as long as I get what I ask for..
which is not the case with OL exchange at all
I dont need to become a scientist nor do I want too, to understand how this Broker works, because I am not, I trade and make or lose money...that is all what counts to me..
The problem with this new exchanges is, only a few ppl understand it and because they do, they dont understand why
none technician dont and because of it, getting scared...and live in uncertainty

Better OL changes this, because I will not trade at this platform if I get much better options

First of all, MT4 (or MetaTrader 4) is NOT a broker.  It's a software platform developed for FX brokers by MetaQuotes Software Corporation.  Obviously the software can be customized for non FOREX trading...such as crypto-currency exchange trading.  But I believe the only crypto-currency exchange supported is BTCe, which I assume is because they paid for that customization so they could offer the MT4 trading UI to their clients. 

As for ease of use, it's really not that easy to set MT4 up for trading BTC with BTC-e.  I've actually gone through the process myself in the past, and anyone interested in seeing what the process is like can click on the video below in which someone shows how to do it. (Please note the guy in the video says "there are several exchanges that allow you to trade crypto-currencies".  He means that in general.  But keep in mind only BTC-e has support for MT4 as far as I know.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EFXviQJPWw

Anyway, most people trading crypto-currencies simply will NOT go through such a process.  But some people will.  Especially if they want some of the advanced features of MT4 such as the MQL4 programming language, or its tools for the development, testing, and optimization of trading robots.  Such features could be very interesting for a UI integrated with the Bitshares exchange...and maybe someday OpenLedger will work with MetaQuotes Software Corp. to customize MT4 for use on the Bitshares network.

In the meantime, OpenLedger offers a trading UI (based on the Bitshares default UI) which is less sophisticated than MT4, but far better designed than the default trading interfaces of most (if not all) crypto-currency exchanges. 

Anyway, since you're currently using MT4 (assuming you really are using it), please tell us more specifically what you can do with it that you cannot do with OpenLedger.  And don't tell us you can "trade BTC/USD fast and furious", because that's not a feature.  Also, in case you didn't realize, liquidity has nothing to do with the UI.   We know that liquidity on the Bitshares exchange is lacking, but it's still early in the game, and liquidity is steadily growing as more and more people are using the DEX via OpenLedger or the Bitshares default UI. 

Offline mea123

• View Profile
Q: Trading interface? I am not a trader, what tools specifically are lacking in order of importance?

DEX can have all tools of the world, without liquidity, it want work
We have exchanges they work, dont know they have better tools , but I know they have execution, which equals liquidity

Offline mea123

• View Profile
somebody suggest:
My thoughts:
Hardware wallet support is sorely needed. Trezor. This would prevent anybody but the trader from spending funds, and would neutralize the security-threat of personal-computer virus'. Traders could trade from almost any computer or android device of their choosing with complete peace-of-mind. On the go, at airports, on public wifi in cafes, etc

The exchange lacks liquidity. Big players aren't going to transfer their $10k's of money into the DEX if they can't even buy that much bitUSD all at once...

I really dont know what to say besides:
To be honest, I dont understand one bit of the necessity of an Openleger exchange  platform, if it does not have any liquidity...why would I like to trade Dash for ETH or BTC if I dont even get a quote..lets stand an order filled for a reasonable price..and if I get one price are so far apart that makes this exchange only a waste of surfer space.
Perhaps OL spend more money on maintaining DEX than they make money off it,
which I would call a waste of time and money
For me adding more tokens is like adding water to a hole without a seed in it..

OL can add all kind of Coins they want, this does not help the exchange a bit, if no money their to execute orders.

An very beautiful example is BTWTY 20 index fund, which would be a very powerful index and desirable, but this is like a brand new Ferrari without gasoline, no movement.

Dont understand why OL is not focusing on this opportunities more..
most of OL based tokens are only traded on DEX,
only to realize is that some ppl know more than other and sell some tokens like BTSR like crazy ,
which makes me thinking whats going on, is this an exchange of insider trading...

Might be some just sell because, because they dont like to hold on tokens which only lose on value..
What happens with BTS is smart ppl talk about something but dont do nothing to improve.

sometimes I have a feeling that there is not a real interest to change things , which is sad,
BTS is like a fish of lead, going down slowly but surely, while other sore like crazy , dont know why,   I know something has to be done to make BTS more attractive to the world, not only a few thousand followers .

I would love to hear more of your thoughts about what BitShares is LACKING.

I feel this is the case with BTS based tokens at the moment, only a few ppl know about BTS , compare to the entire crypto movement, others which know,  dont touch it, lack of interest I guess

PS: dont get hung up on the cheap execution commission,
this is like asking a blind to tell you which color has the passing car.

that's about what I have to say after more than a year with OL DEX....

sorry for my English, I promise its better than my engineering skills..lol

Offline Permie

• View Profile
Cheers

nope is not crypto-exchange, it is just a Broker which offers to trade BTC/USD and this is all what matters to me, fast and furious :), I know my fee, no manipulation no wait , enter order and get filled in a second , sell/ buy same ..I dont care about any other thing as a trader, as long as I get what I ask for..
I dont need to become a scientist nor do I want too, to understand how this Broker works, because I am not, I trade and make or lose money...that is all what counts to me..
The problem with this new exchanges is, only a few ppl understand it and because they do, they dont understand why
none technician dont and because of it, getting scared...and live in uncertainty

Better OL changes this, because I will not trade at this platform if I get much better options
Thank you very much for your input.

It's good to get the opinion/desires of traders who could potentially use BitShares.
Knowing traders' needs is one step closer to ensuring that the DEX can fulfill them
BTSDEX.COM

Offline mea123

• View Profile
Cheers

Offline Permie

• View Profile
Cheers
BTSDEX.COM

Offline mea123

• View Profile
@tbone

I think you misunderstood and read too much into it. All I said was that we need to improve the trading interface (opinion) to move up in rank and attract more traders. The interface gets improved all the time so that's great!
Here is an example of a features rich Forex Trading platform:

this looks like fun!
Trading interface is very important for traders. If someone is trading for living needs a reliable toolbox to trade on.

being a trader for quite some time, cant agree more
ppl here like it or not, if its difficult noobs will not come and not trade, never have never will when better options are out their
promise, if not updated this will not work

one thing I like to mention ..I am MEMBER of OL for more than a year now, I trade Bitcoin / Dollar or BTC/USD on a MT4 platform, easy, liquid and fast execution

Offline mea123

• View Profile
@tbone

I think you misunderstood and read too much into it. All I said was that we need to improve the trading interface (opinion) to move up in rank and attract more traders. The interface gets improved all the time so that's great!

this looks like fun!
Trading interface is very important for traders. If someone is trading for living needs a reliable toolbox to trade on.

being a trader for quite some time, cant agree more
ppl here like it or not, if its difficult noobs will not come and not trade, never have never will when better options are out their
promise, if not updated this will not work

Offline mea123

• View Profile
@sahkan
You're right on this one. In order to find, for examle DASH:BTS you have to set BTS tab as active. In order to make that market visible you have to click the grey star. And finally, search full name of asset, in this case OPEN.DASH - prefix is hidden in the GUI.
This is confusing and I'm afraid facelift is not enough.

problem is liquidity, try to sell/buy the quotes are ridiculous or never filled, thats why DEX is not as desirable IMHO
and I agree as well on the trading platform lack of possibilities and lots of confusion
Also if you want to see an other asset, you have to search and add it..how does somebody new or seldom use the platform know all this..
for somebody to say its easy, perhaps is like me a truck driver telling a 16 year old girl driving a Truck in a narrow street is easy

iHashFury

@tbone

this looks like fun!

I agree totally and BitShares Core Light Wallet is progressing nicely in this direction.

Offline tbone

• View Profile
@tbone

I don't think I misunderstood or read into anything.  You said there was a problem because you weren't seeing (by default) an asset you were interested in (DASH). But all you had to do was search for it and add it.  And if you had the latest version, DASH would have been visible by default to begin with. 

Moving on, thanks for posting that screenshot of a FOREX trading UI.  We actually already have most of the necessary elements that are on that screen: 
  • They have their Market Depth.  And that's equivalent to our Order Books and Market History. 
  • They have a Chart.  We also have a Chart (although granted our charting could be improved further, with the primary need being more candlestick options, but also more indicators and drawing tools).
  • They have their Watch List.  We have our Markets list. 
  • They have their Order List.  We have our Open Orders and My History. 
  • They have News.  We don't need News but have a Trollbox instead. 
  • They have their Stock Ticket (which is a unified Order form).  We have separate Buy and Sell Order forms.
  • They have a list of Positions.  This one we don't have, although I have advocated for it a few times (and OL may be adding it to their UI if they take some of my recent suggestions).

We also have something very handy that the UI above does not, which is the Market Depth Chart.  In fact, we have that in both mini form (which can be visible if you have the Trollbox closed), and large view (which you can toggle in place of the Price Chart).

Anyway, it's easy for people to bash and point out deficiencies.  And that's fine as long as the points are valid.  Actual constructive criticism is healthy and necessary, so I hope we see more of that.  But a lot of what we're seeing recently just isn't valid or accurate.  And I will continue to point it out when I see it.

Offline valtr

• View Profile
@tbone

this looks like fun!

iHashFury

@tbone

this looks like fun!

Offline nmywn

• View Profile
@sahkan
You're right on this one. In order to find, for examle DASH:BTS you have to set BTS tab as active. In order to make that market visible you have to click the grey star. And finally, search full name of asset, in this case OPEN.DASH - prefix is hidden in the GUI.

DASH is visible by default, unless you're using an old client.  And no, to locate other assets using Find Market, you do NOT need to enter the prefix.  So no, sahkan was not right.  And neither are you.
DASH serves as example, there is many assets not visible by default, but yeah - after rethinking i must agree that searching only active tab is better approach. Without prefix I'll receive: DASH, DASH, OPENDASH - where first DASH is OPEN.DASH and second just DASH. In other hand if i search (better example) BTC, I'll find all BTC related assets sorted by volume, which is nice.

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
@tbone

Offline Pheonike

There are minor differences between the bitshares wallet and the openledger wallet. The openledger wallet is geared to highlighter the Openledger assets. The only native bitshares crypto mpa is bitbtc. The Openledger has its uia crypto cookers open.dash,btc and others.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Offline tbone

• View Profile
@sahkan

DASH is visible by default, unless you're using an old client.  And no, to locate other assets using Find Market, you do NOT need to enter the prefix.  So no, sahkan was not right.  And neither are you.

Offline tbone

• View Profile
Bitshare exchange needs a face lift. As an example if I want to trade DASH to BTC, I have to go to FIND MARKET, type in DASH and then all I have is DASH under BTC. There needs to be an easy way to display all pairs that you want to trade on one screen. Traders (me) like convenience and speed. That's of course only my opinion.

What are you talking about?  DASH is listed on each of the base asset tabs.  Very easy to see those DASH pairs and click on them to view the associated order books and trade them if you like.  Beyond that, the exchange may need a tweak or two here and there, but it most certainly does not need a face lift.  In fact, it's one of the best designed exchanges you'll fund anywhere in crypto.

Anyway, you need to start asking question instead of jumping to conclusions and misleading people by stating falsehoods.  You're 2 for 2 now.

I use the Bitshares Light Client on Mint and to get to DASH I have to use the steps I described. I might log in through the browser later on to see the differences.

EDIT: I just went to the browser wallet and indeed DASH is there (so there is an difference between web and my client). But that was not my point, substitute Peercoin for DASH above - the point is I want all available pairs or pairs I am interested in.

The light client is exactly the same UI as the web wallet (bitshares.org/wallet).  So if you're seeing something in the webwallet but not in the light client, it's because you don't have the latest version.  Who are you blaming for that? 

As for Peercoin, the reason you don't see it is because (I'm 99% sure) it's not offered.  And if a pair you're interested in is not selected by default (no one can read your mind), you just locate it using the Find Markets tab.  It's really not that difficult.  And we're supposed to believe you're qualified and capable of being a witness?   Hmmm. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 03:32:10 am by tbone »

Offline yvv

• View Profile
Because when we deal in any other crypto, aside from BTS, we are just as much a centralized exchange. When we fix that, if we can, we will have a true alternative.

No really as much centralized. UIA issuer owns his asset, but not the DEX.  UIA is not trustless, but in contrast to centralized exchange, there is no single center, which controls the DEX.

Offline nmywn

• View Profile
@sahkan

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
Bitshare exchange needs a face lift. As an example if I want to trade DASH to BTC, I have to go to FIND MARKET, type in DASH and then all I have is DASH under BTC. There needs to be an easy way to display all pairs that you want to trade on one screen. Traders (me) like convenience and speed. That's of course only my opinion.

What are you talking about?  DASH is listed on each of the base asset tabs.  Very easy to see those DASH pairs and click on them to view the associated order books and trade them if you like.  Beyond that, the exchange may need a tweak or two here and there, but it most certainly does not need a face lift.  In fact, it's one of the best designed exchanges you'll fund anywhere in crypto.

Anyway, you need to start asking question instead of jumping to conclusions and misleading people by stating falsehoods.  You're 2 for 2 now.

I use the Bitshares Light Client on Mint and to get to DASH I have to use the steps I described. I might log in through the browser later on to see the differences.

EDIT: I just went to the browser wallet and indeed DASH is there (so there is an difference between web and my client). But that was not my point, substitute Peercoin for DASH above - the point is I want all available pairs or pairs I am interested in.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 04:41:04 am by sahkan »

Offline mr-whitekey

Because when we deal in any other crypto, aside from BTS, we are just as much a centralized exchange. When we fix that, if we can, we will have a true alternative.

Offline tbone

• View Profile

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 03:06:09 am by tbone »

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
    • twitter.com/jonnybitcoin

"what can polo and btc38 give traders that the dex can't?"

Deep liquid orderbooks for lots of market pairs.

start market making with btsbots if you want to help

I run the @bitshares twitter handle
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline Permie

• View Profile
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:12:43 pm by Permie »
BTSDEX.COM