Author Topic: Dan's Next Project - EOS Rears its Head  (Read 29105 times)

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
Re: Dan's Next Project - EOS Rears its Head
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2017, 02:27:28 am »
Since the EOS token sale is over a full year, does that mean it won't be released for at LEAST a year?  Sounds like a big project.  And a lot can happen in a year in the crypto world.

This is a good guess.  There would be a LOT of drama if they cut the 360 day window short and launched sooner. 

A testnet with BitShares and Steem running side by side would be quite cool and probably gather some serious attention!

Offline JoeyD

« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2017, 07:48:14 am »
I was away from the internet for a while and I missed the announcement about EOS doing an Ethereum ICO. I also have not received an e-mail about it, eventhough I did register myself on the mailinglist.

First impression I have of that are not good. If they are only doing an ICO on ethereum and not any other blockchain than it is a strange move and I think it is a slap in the face of bitshares. At the very least as a show of thanks for the people who helped make bitshares grow to what it is today, and that is one of the key value propositions of EOS, as in multithreaded bitshares-tech, and in remembrance of the social contract, 10% of the ICO could be done in a bitshares ICO. Now it feels like instead of sticking by bitshares despite all the bashing, and I've seen ethereum core-members and devs doing it, I've should have done the opposite. I understand wanting to attract people over from ethereum, but why not reward people who actually supported Dan Larimer creating the tech for EOS?

I wouldn't mind them diversifying to prevent the same loss in funds as happened with the btc-fundraiser with ags. But this does not sound like diversifying at all.

Also if they have to hold the tokens till the end of the ICO (which I've seen mentioned is planned to last 360 days or something like that), holding ethereum is not any less risky than bitcoin. Despite their massively active hype army, ethereum has just about all the same problems bitcoin has, although somehow that dirty laundry is not being flaunted about in the same public manner as with bitcoin. Worse yet I've seen people apparently in blind denial bashing bitcoin publicly, about all the things ethereum hasn't solved either. Just of the top of my head eth has massive scaling issues, right now, their blockchain is now larger than bitcoin and growing more rapidly (and no reward for people running full-nodes either), they have no decentralized governance to speak of, no voting mechanism at all apparently and need at the very least one or more hardfork(s) in the coming year. Also do not forget that any slow downs or problems with ethereum will have waay more catastrophic effects on the smartcontracts than with bitcoin.

[member=120]xeroc[/member]: I don't agree with your argument. There are ways to hold ICOs and value on bitshares without the need to  crash the marketprice especially over a  time period of a year. At the very least they should not hold the ICO solely on ethereum, because as mentioned that does show a lack of confidence. Hell, they could do an announcement saying that they'll immediately sell 10% of the gathered eth for bitshares and send those bitshares to a burn address or bts-dev-fund or whatever.

Also I was hoping this would not turn into a money grab up front. I understand the need for money to fund development, but EOS should be able to pay for itself instead of upfront. This whole hyped up ICO craze going on does have a scammy feel to it and I'd rather not help support it.

So much for my first impressions, I probably need to think more on this. Public discussion does help me shaping my opinion, how else would I ever change my mind on something.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2017, 09:39:54 am »
[member=5]bytemaster[/member] I guess people just don't learn from past mistakes

The AGS style is good for an ICO.
365 days is waaayyy too looongggg in the crypto world
They should have done 60% in ETH if they so wish to but at least 40% should be in bitusd and bitcny so they have at least some security that the funds raised will at least have a stable value and not subject to price swings..That would also attract a lot of bts whales who may not want to sell their BTS to buy ETH to buy EOS but would not mind spend their bitusd, bitcny from their collateralized positions or from their savings accounts to buy EOS. That would also give a whole new meaning to market pegged assets that [member=5]bytemaster[/member] you have created and would drive bts price to unimaginable levels..

But the reality is that people just don't learn from past mistakes and this is just sad..

Offline Geneko

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2017, 10:55:27 am »
I also have not received an e-mail about it, eventhough I did register myself on the mailinglist.

It's probably laying in your promotions tab on Google account.

Where did you find out that information?  From their last mail they only inform about conducting a 2week public trail of the sail on Ethereum test network. They invite everyone interested in learning how sale works to participate in the trail. They will send instructions in following mail which  didnt arrive until time of this writing..

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2017, 11:11:18 am »
[member=5]bytemaster[/member] I guess people just don't learn from past mistakes

They should have done 60% in ETH if they so wish to but at least 40% should be in bitusd and bitcny so they have at least some security that the funds raised will at least have a stable value and not subject to price swings..That would also attract a lot of bts whales who may not want to sell their BTS to buy ETH to buy EOS but would not mind spend their bitusd, bitcny from their collateralized positions or from their savings accounts to buy EOS. That would also give a whole new meaning to market pegged assets that [member=5]bytemaster[/member] you have created and would drive bts price to unimaginable levels..

But the reality is that people just don't learn from past mistakes and this is just sad..
  +5%

Offline konelectric

« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2017, 11:35:41 am »
I seen other ICOs start with only Bitcoin, then latter on add in BTS, Steem, etc. If there is a demand for it they might.
Tweeter: Konelectric. Steemit: Konelectric. Youtube: Patrick Konshak. Success Council: Yourship. Mumble: Yourship or Konelectric.

Offline JoeyD

« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2017, 01:14:29 pm »

Yeah, the argument that eth is the only liquid smart contract chain at the moment is weak in my opinion. You only need a timestamp and amount to determine the distribution, where is the need for a smartcontract in that? All blockchains support that much at the very least.

And yeah, they should support other graphene chains. Gambling on eth being A-OK in a year is most definately not a prudent move.

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2017, 04:51:32 pm »

Brilliant.  I would short bitUSD to buy EOS in a heartbeat.  This way I would not have to exit a BTS position.

[member=5]bytemaster[/member] [member=6]Stan[/member] This is exactly your HERO idea with a EOS spin...

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2017, 08:17:15 pm »
Me too.. I would short the shit out of bitusd to buy EOS. But I don't think I want to sell my bts to buy ETH to buy EOS.. I really hope they consider a percentage of the ICO in bitassets.

Offline nmywn

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2017, 10:54:19 pm »
Why you guys think that EOS will be for sell only on ETH chain?

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2017, 11:20:31 pm »
Why you guys think that EOS will be for sell only on ETH chain?

https://github.com/EOSIO/eos-token-sale

Offline yellowecho

« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2017, 12:13:38 am »
I'm getting an invalid Contract Address?
Am I doing something wrong?
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline MisO69

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 12, 2017, 03:50:41 pm »
360 days of crowdfund is too long. I can understand trying to make it fair but I'm hesitant to lock up my funds for a year when everything is going up up up.

How long before we have a working product? How long before we can trade the tokens? 329 days according to the first draft.. too long.

Offline yellowecho

« Reply #148 on: June 12, 2017, 10:26:54 pm »
How long before we have a working product? How long before we can trade the tokens? 329 days according to the first draft.. too long.

EOS is running on a test network now but projected to be finished by the end of the crowd sale. I thought I'd read that tokens could be traded the moment they're bought.
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline blahblah7up

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2017, 01:01:47 pm »
The token distribution schedule is available now at eos.io

There is a large section in the instructions about mapping a public key to a Buyer's account:

7.12. Failure to Map a Public Key to Buyer’s Account. Failure of Buyer to map a public key to Buyer’s account may result in third parties being unable to recognize Buyer’s EOS Token balance on the Ethereum blockchain when and if they configure the initial balances of a new blockchain based upon the EOS.IO Software of which Company makes no representation or guarantee.

Then later the same problem (I think) is addressed as registering a public key for your Ethereum account:

Failing register a public key for your Ethereum account
If you hold EOS Tokens in an Ethereum account and fail to register a public key or lose the private key that maps to your registered public key, then your EOS Tokens will not be part of the snapshot when the EOS Tokens become fixed and non-transferable on the Ethereum blockchain. If and when someone launches a blockchain adopting the EOS.IO Software there may be less than 1 billion EOS Tokens outstanding after taking into account those who fail to register a public key.

I've never used the ethereum blockchain.  Can anyone explain how this registration/mapping works in ethereum and what steps need to be taken other than simply donating to the smart contract address from an address where you hold the private key?