Author Topic: [ Bounty Proposal ] Open Source Bitshares Block Explorer  (Read 12052 times)

Offline oxarbitrage

don't worry about the payment, i already work for the chain and i will make this project included in that payment. it will be like my thesis before my worker proposal ends.

also want to do it because it will help a lot in my core work understanding and also because i am 100% sure i can do it the way the community need.

https://github.com/oxarbitrage/bitshares-python-api-backend

this is a repo with the python backend part for static calls. it is used by the explorer but it can be used for anything that want json response from the bitshares network, examples:

http://23.94.69.140:5000/get_asset?asset_id=1.3.0
http://23.94.69.140:5000/get_block?block_num=16929210

that is the easiest part, in this repository:

https://github.com/oxarbitrage/bitshares-explorer
(empty now)

is going to be the angular explorer code with websocket connection for live updates and a basic theme.
i am working now on this and the code will be uploaded in the next days. open source.

purchased domain for explorer for a themed version:

bitshares-explorer.io

please check there for progress, ill try to keep the site up the most time i can but please remember is still in development process so expect it to be down or non fully working at sometimes. i prefer in this case to show development site as the community can suggest things as we go.

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
The CryptoFresh block explorer is notorious for going down, and it's currently our only web block explorer which many services rely upon.

I believe that users have reached out to the owner of CryptoFresh unsuccessfully requesting the open-sourcing of his explorer in return for a payment/worker-proposal (despite his requests for witness votes to fund the website), so I think it's a good idea that we try to lure new developers to this task.

I understand that anyone can create a worker proposal to request payment for work, but it appears that only long term community members have had the confidence to create worker proposals. Perhaps it would be worth creating a public bounty which upon the delivery of an open source block explorer is paid out?

If there was an open source block explorer, I'd run my own Gridcoin themed Bitshares block explorer & I'd imagine that many others would run their own explorer.

---

What do you think?

What should be the minimum requirements of such a block explorer?

What would be a fair bounty for such a task?
+5%

Bounties  +5%
Worker proposals alone rely solely on people who already know how BitShares works to decide how much they would be willing to get paid.

Offering bounties could attract 'Freelance' dev.

It would be great if self-employed work-from-home types (increasing number of people) who search (duckduckgo.com) "Highest/best paid dev tasks online" came up with BitShares Bounties as top results.

Not too high pay obviously, just one out of the thousands(?) who read the "Bounty Advertisement" needs to complete the task.
Bounties are nation-agnostic so places with lower costs of living are content to work for less pay.
This could direct the bts-payouts most efficiently in the global market economy.
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline Chris4210

• Keep Building!
    • View Profile
    • www.payger.com
  • BitShares: chris4210
guys i have a new open source explorer in development mode here:

http://oxarbitrage.com:9009/#/dashboard

it was discussed a bit in telegram.

plan:

- make open source. add repo etc.
- "easy" template changer(template of sample is purchased and may have problems to becoming opensource, functionality is fully mine and will be open).
- take suggestion and helps from the community to add/change/remove stuff.

arch:

- angular theme.
- angular websocket for live data.
- python backend for queries.

ill get into more details. let me know if you think i can take the bounty.

by now, in the proof of concept i spent 1 full week of work.

as you may know i get paid by the chain, i wanted to split the work between the core stuff and the explorer but it was impossible in the first week to make something functional i had to spend all the time and more.

i can work another full week on this and make big progress or i can split with the core issues and advance more slowly, whatever you think it is best.

any question please let me know.

I love to see this development and I am looking forward to a new open source BitShares Blockchain Explorer. This is badly needed and will add great value to the platform.

Cheers Chris

Vote Chris4210 for Committee Member http://bit.ly/1WKC03B! | www.Payger.com - Payments + Messenger | www.BitShareshub.io - Community based fanpage for the BitShares Blockchain

Offline oxarbitrage

@oxarbitrage I think it's important to get the frame work out to an open source to allow others to chip in and improve it. But even though I would like to see an open source explorer soon, I think it is very important to work the core issues especially now with an increase of DEX users. If you can get that explorer out to public soon than that's great otherwise I think the core is more important atm.

thanks for the comment. open source, definitely, i just made the mistake of getting the template and developing in there to have something quick to show. but that can be separated so it will not be a problem.

what i think is that the block explorer after the first week should not take a huge amount of time from me and with the community helping with the open source release i think i should be able to handle it.

i do need to invest some time in order to organize and struct it in order to make a repo. my idea is to leave the explorer the most advanced i can in the next few days and on monday get back to the core and alternate with the explorer.

i will post all explorer updates in this thread.

let me know what do you guys think.

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
@oxarbitrage I think it's important to get the frame work out to an open source to allow others to chip in and improve it. But even though I would like to see an open source explorer soon, I think it is very important to work the core issues especially now with an increase of DEX users. If you can get that explorer out to public soon than that's great otherwise I think the core is more important atm.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline oxarbitrage

Looks promising. Big progress in 1 week also. It will benefit your core work for sure.

yes because it is not the same to use the core with wscat and command line tools than to actually making it throw a web app like this case. i actually found a bug in one of my own api calls i added to the core some months ago. so, yea, everything is kind of related.

Offline nmywn

• View Profile
Looks promising. Big progress in 1 week also. It will benefit your core work for sure.

Offline oxarbitrage

guys i have a new open source explorer in development mode here:

http://oxarbitrage.com:9009/#/dashboard

it was discussed a bit in telegram.

plan:

- make open source. add repo etc.
- "easy" template changer(template of sample is purchased and may have problems to becoming opensource, functionality is fully mine and will be open).
- take suggestion and helps from the community to add/change/remove stuff.

arch:

- angular theme.
- angular websocket for live data.
- python backend for queries.

ill get into more details. let me know if you think i can take the bounty.

by now, in the proof of concept i spent 1 full week of work.

as you may know i get paid by the chain, i wanted to split the work between the core stuff and the explorer but it was impossible in the first week to make something functional i had to spend all the time and more.

i can work another full week on this and make big progress or i can split with the core issues and advance more slowly, whatever you think it is best.

any question please let me know.

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
I am willing to host a mirror if we can get this started.

Offline R

• View Profile

Better charts, which show history of market cap and transaction volume per each assets and total for all assets. This deserves to be funded through worker or some other way. But who can do this?

Any of the committee members are trusted enough to be capable of handling a bounty, no?
We could create a worker proposal for x BTS which will be placed in escrow until the bounty task is complete.

Offline yvv

• View Profile

Better charts, which show history of market cap and transaction volume per each assets and total for all assets. This deserves to be funded through worker or some other way. But who can do this?

Offline R

• View Profile
The CryptoFresh block explorer is notorious for going down, and it's currently our only web block explorer which many services rely upon.

I believe that users have reached out to the owner of CryptoFresh unsuccessfully requesting the open-sourcing of his explorer in return for a payment/worker-proposal (despite his requests for witness votes to fund the website), so I think it's a good idea that we try to lure new developers to this task.

I understand that anyone can create a worker proposal to request payment for work, but it appears that only long term community members have had the confidence to create worker proposals. Perhaps it would be worth creating a public bounty which upon the delivery of an open source block explorer is paid out?

If there was an open source block explorer, I'd run my own Gridcoin themed Bitshares block explorer & I'd imagine that many others would run their own explorer.

---

What do you think?

What would be a fair bounty for such a task?