Author Topic: Proposal: Bounty for famous person $xxxxUSD to review BitShares  (Read 3318 times)

Offline MrWang

Please read this... http://steemurl.com/ePWaKO1l
We'll be on BBH hangout Friday...
I'll go ahead and create a post on here too

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
I think the code was reviewed a couple of months ago, (by someone from the chinese community?).
Much later, abit found a serious security bug.

So I agree that we shouldn't waste the money on a code review. Especially when it's a famous person.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline questionsquestions

• View Profile
I wouldn't waste the money. The rising interest in Bitshares will eventually bring a corresponding stream of editorial coverage, even if the current explosive growth rate is mediated by a fall at some point in the near future.

Bitshares is a solid platform. It's not perfect, but it's probably the best most forward thinking platform in the crypto-space and the technology and the features should speak for themselves.

Besides, if you pay for a review it won't garner nearly as much respect as one that was written organically. 

Offline MrWang

You need to define "famous person" because there's a lot of people with a huge power of influence, like me.. willing and offering to help with exactly what you suggested...

Perhaps look into my WANGCHANGE token and consider becoming a sponsor/producer of my videos & blogs. Check out the breakdown and perks of my UIA below

http://steemurl.com/DKSxYvHI

Offline Thom

I think you miss my point regarding AA. He's definitely not a Bitcoin maximalist, however he is always reluctant to endorse specific altcoins. I think I heard him say once he prefers to be an independent observer and not tied to a specific alt. He is mostly focused on Bitcoin in his presentations as well as general news and activities in the cryptospace. I also see his perspective towards individual freedom and away from fiat as being very strong, and in that regard he would fit well with our ecosystem. That also paints a picture of his high level of integrity (to me at least) and thus not so easily swayed or influenced by money, so waving a bunch of it in his face to entice him won't be as effective you you seem to believe it might be.

But hey, for all I know you are his best friend, and if you believe the approach of using a celebrity to improve adoption is the way to go, just do it! I'll be the first to encourage you.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
Now if you said Andreas Antonopolis your idea would have more merit, at least for the crypto-crowd, but the chances of getting him to conduct such a review are slim to none IMO.
Slim to none?
Surely the likelihood of his acceptance increases with the value of the bounty offered to him?

The question is whether the bounty paid to AA, would result in a net-increase of bts investment due to his followers dipping into the bts ecosytem.

Maybe [AA's price] >> [value of AA's viewers becoming bts customers.]

But maybe [value of AA's viewers becoming bts customers.] >> [AA's price]

====

The alternative is traditional advertising right?
How much does a billboard cost and how many people see it?
What is the value of the message coming from a trusted mouthpiece vs an inanimate billboard?

I'm not sure myself and I am willing to concede that it's not worth paying people like AA. But what if it IS worth it?
How would one calculate it

JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline Thom

I only glanced over your OP @Permie, but am not sure that is the best "bang for the buck" we can get towards marketing. Also, I respect Peter Schiff but he is still very bearish on digital currencies. It's certainly true if he favorably endorsed BitShares it would carry a lot of weight, but I don't think he is qualified since he doesn't know much about digital currencies. Now if you said Andreas Antonopolis your idea would have more merit, at least for the crypto-crowd, but the chances of getting him to conduct such a review are slim to none IMO.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
Hello,
Can we discuss the pros and cons of paying a (generally respected by the public) talking head, or financial times journalist, or a famous youtube podcater like Peter Schiff to read over and review BitShares as a product and as an investment.

Using the power of the reserve fund (shareholder controlled investment capital) to make a big impression on famous people so that they can start telling everyone else how great BitShares is.

Potential cons: a bounty could be spinned into 'bts pays journalists to write good stories". Could several mainstream personailities be included? A multi-signature news report?
One journalist could get paid to write the report, and another 2 journalists could get paid a big fee if they find factual fault with it. Anti "fake-news"?
A journalistic version of a 'bug-bounty' paid to coders who can find fault in a companies software.

=========

I suggest that Peter Schiff may be a good candidate for this bounty as he has been an anti-financial-establishment gold-bull predicting market crashes and being laughed at on TV. He shares the same economic views as many of the BitShareholders. He has 173,000 youtuber subscribers and is a SEC registered finance company in the US.
http://www.europac.com/our_investment_strategy

He thinks that Bitcoin is a bubble, maybe he doesn't fully understand what Bitcoin can do, or perhaps he is right.
But I do think he will be able to see the real value in the BitShares network.
He owns a financial consulting firm called "Euro-Pacfic Capital" and runs a fund(?). He encourages his clients to invest in non-US stocks and calls the recent rises in the US stock market to be a bubble. A bubble encouraged by the FED in their desire to stop inflation at all costs.

BitShares has a product, the DEX. Bitcoin's product is itself. (?)

I think he would benefit and appreciate SmartCoin and UIA functionality to monetize his youtube following.

A bounty may seem like an unnessary expense, "what if he would review it for free?"
What better way is there to demonstrate all the functionality of BitShares than by using the worker proposal system to pay them for their time. This "bounty" could be considered a consultancy fee.
Maybe $5000 on the table is enough to get someone worthy to read over an hours-worth of sales-pitch specific to them. It's also a worthy amount to hype-up and talk about in a tagline.

"How the shareholders of "BitShares" paid me $FIVE THOUSAND to read their sales pitch, all organised in a decentralized way without trusting a single bank"

This system could be repeated again and again to buy BitShares' way in front of potential customers' eyeballs. Other cryptocoin communities could be incentivized in this way to port their coin to the bts ecosystem.

The value of this attention from mainstream individuals is up to the shareholders to decide, but I'm sure it's greater than zero.

If possible and legal, I also believe Peter Schiff would be interested in running a fund. A scarce Euro-Pac "PeterSchiff-fund" token that is redeemable at any time for the assets that PeterSchiff chooses to hold in the fund.

It would function like the bit20, except that a single entity would be setting the distribution of assets at their will. The fund-asset-holders want to trust PeterSchiff to make sound investment decisions on their behalf as they arise. The fund would likely contain allocations to bitGOLD, bitSILVER, bitCNY, bitOIL, bitGOLDminingsectorindex, bitINDIAstockmarket, etc, etc

Another possible way for Peter Schiff to add another string to his bow and use BitShares to gain a new revenue stream is: selling up to the minute asset allocation advice, contained within a coin.
This PeterSchiff-fund-advice-coin would be a whitelist only coin. Each coin is non-divisible and is worth $10 (the cost of the current advice). The $10 could be paid to PeterSchiff via debit card (his current payment accepting methods) or www.goldmoney.com who he likes to promote. He could be promoting BitShares too if he understood how it's real wealth and not a ponzi.
Upon reciept of this PeterSchiff-advice-coin asset the customer would be able to read a memo containing what Peter Schiff considers to be the very latest "news" or advice that he reserves only for well paying customers. Everyone else will know about the news tomorrow but to know ASAP costs $10 to buy the asset.

Why BitShares?
Mr Schiff would earn referral income on the accounts he signs up to BitShares in the process of claiming their asset.
He would be able to transmit secret information to customers in an encrypted format.
He would be able to drive his customers on BitShares so that he can also show them how to take advantage of his Fund-Asset and other PeterSchiffEuroCap products that direct 80% of their profitability of transaction-fees to Peter Schiff.

=============

What do you guys think?

Could there be a tester worker proposal bounty of $100, to test how such a bounty might be created?
$100 would pay for some ~mid range finance-youtuber to review and video BitShares I'm sure.

$100 as a test?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:28:05 am by Permie »
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM