Author Topic: Poloniex suspended deposits and withdrawals for BTS  (Read 5159 times)

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
They're probably running their own node. I wouldn't be surprised if they ran into memory issues, as currently the needed memory scales up linearly with the total number of blocks. You currently need over 12GB of RAM. There's an issue about it here: https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-core/issues/192
On a full node the memory requirement is now around 16GB, but why is that an issue? You can have servers with 516GB, and I am sure Poloniex can afford a server or 2 for BTS (if they set it up right, they should have a full node with a delayed node).

You're right, it shouldn't be an issue, but it still could be one. They have 60+ wallets they need to maintain, and probably have them all sandboxed for security reasons. BTS might be the only wallet that have these high memory requirements, and yes they can afford it but they probably didn't start with that much memory. If the wallet daemon crashed, they may needed to re-index the whole blockchain again on a new server instance, which can take a long time.

I'm just speculating, as this happened to my node recently, and I had to deal with it.

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
They're probably running their own node. I wouldn't be surprised if they ran into memory issues, as currently the needed memory scales up linearly with the total number of blocks. You currently need over 12GB of RAM. There's an issue about it here: https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-core/issues/192
On a full node the memory requirement is now around 16GB, but why is that an issue? You can have servers with 516GB, and I am sure Poloniex can afford a server or 2 for BTS (if they set it up right, they should have a full node with a delayed node).

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
Hopefully a technical issue rather than a fractional reserve issue.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
I wonder what caused this issue...

Offline Geneko

• View Profile
Deposit and withdrawal finally enabled!!

Received withdrawal. It took 2days for withdrawal this time!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 06:22:37 am by Geneko »

Offline mostar

• View Profile

Offline Geneko

• View Profile
This can cause unnecessary  selling pressure of BTS on poloniex
Exactly!! That's why we need to track it.

to make this public. ALL IT TAKES FOR EVIL TO PROSPER IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING.

Anyway
Last checked- 28.05.2017 5:00h PM status Temporarily Disabled

P.S. I have BTS withdrawal request in pending since  2017-05-27 08:14:01
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 06:22:17 am by Geneko »

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
This can cause unnecessary  selling pressure of BTS on poloniex

Offline Geneko

• View Profile
the crux of the story is: do not use centralized exchanges. Polo has issues it seems

Yes I knew that and now learned harder way. But again maybe others don't.
Anyway, to be more specific this is what I have in mind when opening this thread:

First noticed - 28.05.2017 9:00h AM status Temporarily Disabled
Last checked- 28.05.2017 3:31h PM status Temporarily Disabled
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 03:32:20 pm by Geneko »

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
the crux of the story is: do not use centralized exchanges. Polo has issues it seems

Offline Geneko

• View Profile
There isn't any thread that tracks such event. If there is any pls point out and remove this one.

Poloniex have simply disabled withdrawals of BTS because they cant disabled deposits on their Bitshares account..
There isn't any related information about that on their notices section. Only on deposit and withdrawals page. Which means hidden for majority of interested parties. Is this for everybody or this might be selective? This doesn't have to do anything with daily limit I am sure.

This is nothing new on Polo these days, I have read about many complains for other currencies too, but I was wondering why there isn't any thread that informs and tracks of such behavior for BTS. This is not benevolent, such behavior might be used for price manipulation (BTC withdrawals enabled) or indicate something much more serious.
If we could be regularly informed about such behavior it might help understand the back end story... 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 02:42:47 pm by Geneko »