Author Topic: Latest light wallet and connectivity issues  (Read 4046 times)

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
This is a good point. I think we need Full nodes in Australia, South America and Africa. Hopefully we can get more businesses involved in the DEX that will add those services. Unfortunately the cost to run those servers continues to go up as the full node runs around 64GB RAM now and continues to grow. Running a local node is a solution but it does require some technical skills.

vote for the infrastructure worker...
I did. But we will need more...

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
This is a good point. I think we need Full nodes in Australia, South America and Africa. Hopefully we can get more businesses involved in the DEX that will add those services. Unfortunately the cost to run those servers continues to go up as the full node runs around 64GB RAM now and continues to grow. Running a local node is a solution but it does require some technical skills.

vote for the infrastructure worker...

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX

Offline random

• View Profile
The latest update is excellent in confirming the geographic problem.
As the GUI now displays lag times.
HK servers are generally 500ms which is yellow and up to 1500 which is red. The Euro and US ones basically dont work. (update the blocks).
early in the morning (in oz and HK) i can get green 250ms or so. but that is rare and only in very quiet hours.
Is just like WOW you die before you even see the other player in front of you.
When it is green trading works without a glitch.
Yellow i have to close programme and start again a couple of times. it works when it eventually accepts a transaction but i get the "transaction not signed" or "not broadcast error" more often than not.
red has no chance as the 3 second block is too quick,
If and when some others come along in Oz and host nodes technoobs may embrace the DEX. at the moment it  is not buggy per se but suffers from lack of geographic decentralisation. for those of us not in the northern hemisphere.
I will make my local node soon but I am not sufficiently tech head enough to offer anything to the ecosystem as a whole as I am probably twice most of your ages and definitely not a coder.
I am here because I keep coming back to BTS, and the DEX they could be great disrupters and deserve support.
Regards,
ps sorry about long posts  it definitely is a thing I have problem with I culled half of what I wrote.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
I would agree with you that we need more Full nodes (the ones that allow trading, most seed nodes don't), and I don't know of any in Australia. As an alternative, if you have at least a 64GB RAM machine at home you could setup a local node and have the wallet connect to it. As far as finding active nodes, the wallet supposed to switch to the closest one automatically as it finds them. Also try adding this one:
Code: [Select]
wss://bitshares.crypto.fans/ws
It's run by @startail and not hard coded in the wallet, maybe it will help.
If for personal use only, 8GB of RAM is enough, and it would be even better when next release is out.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
To setup a full node see here:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23925.msg303814.html#msg303814

You can skip CLI, it's not needed. Once you get this going and still want to run a full node for Australia PM me and I will help you set it up.

Offline random

• View Profile
Thank you for such a quick reply.
I added the node suggested , unfortunately it is down atm,
That is what I , (as a noob computer person want.) A list I can go to for active nodes I can try as the default ones are half a world away and slower than 3 seconds.
I love the idea of the Dex but it does not seem to be geographically  decentralised as yet.
I will put my local node into operation as soon as I can figure out how to do it. I have windows and Linux computers available but dont like CLI as I dont understand it enough, i can partially read it but not properly. as for ssh into it I dont like the idea.
Computer people assume a level of knowledge traders may or may not have.
I assume the DEX should be for all comers but computer luddites such as myself rely on the kindness of strangers to do walkthoughs.
Without walkthoughs, i would never gotten into BTC in the first place, Bitshares has taken me a couple of years to try and attempt.
My first trade I "settled "on a price only to watch it  change hourly and destroy the captured profit.
Lesson learnt, dont settle. no where in the documentation does it say settle is movable. it says settle which means stay.
Setting up a node is the same,  it is written but is not straight forward to someone who does not know.
my 2 cents anyways.
If someone can write a how to for dummies, i will setup  my local node.
If you can show me how to make it secure against attack i could make it public for us downunder once the NBN comes online.
regards

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
I would agree with you that we need more Full nodes (the ones that allow trading, most seed nodes don't), and I don't know of any in Australia. As an alternative, if you have at least a 64GB RAM machine at home you could setup a local node and have the wallet connect to it. As far as finding active nodes, the wallet supposed to switch to the closest one automatically as it finds them. Also try adding this one:
Code: [Select]
wss://bitshares.crypto.fans/ws
It's run by @startail and not hard coded in the wallet, maybe it will help.

Offline random

• View Profile
Forgot to add I have latest wallet 171102 but had same problem with older wallet.
I see in multiple threads...try different browser, for the errors)
I have tried, Firefox, opera and brave. I do not support google, so will never use chrome.
As I wrote above I believe it is the nodes. there are only 10 plus local to choose from. only 19 witnesses for the whole chain.
Again, I am not technical but there is no low latency, so therefore no access to the forever moving ahead blocks.
I am synched all the time, but it is rarely green, usually red. At Yellow I can trade, at red I cannot and get the various errors.
I hope that explains it better.
Regards.

Offline random

• View Profile
I just joined the forum to say this as well.
There are differing views on this but I live in supposedly 1st world country, Australia.
No nodes in the "light client "  out of 11 have better than high latency. (hong kong occaisionally turns yellow and allows some trades.)
Usually though I just keep getting timed out error. or no keys error/unsigned error. (maybe 85% of the time).
Been trading/trying to for 3 weeks now
I joined the forum (i do not like them,  and too old to try and understand them. I dont have any technical coding knowledge so nothing to add)
The search function does not work, unless i sign up and this thread was buried 8 pages deep.
So I am writing to try and bring to someones attention.
For an old noob like myself.
The "seed nodes" threads are for the old client. and there used to be one in Oz.
I would be happy to set up a witness for decentralisation purposes.
Since you have to be "Voted " in I have no chance.  as again I have no online presence or skills just an ordinary Joe happy to support decentralisation.
 I am sure someone already has one here but there seems to be no thread on how to find nodes.
So the question is . How do I find active low latency nodes?
Regards.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Thank you @fav . I do have this. I guess I have connectivity issues but then again I do live in a 3rd world country  :)

Hopefully we can add some more nice APIs?? I don't know ...will see

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Anyone around to the rescue??

@fav can we please have a section on the forum with the latest client releases like every other forum has?

Can please the responsible for bitshares.org update to the latest client for download?

Where can I download the latest light wallet for windows?

Thanks!

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Hi guys,

How do I download the latest light wallet? Shouldn't the latest version be always available in bitshares.org website? I mean if I am having hard time figure this out after so many years I can only imagine how newbies must feel...I don't know how to read or use github.

In addition I am having serious connectivity issue for the last couple of dayss. I keep reloading and keep changing APIs but none connects for me..