Other > Peerplays

Security best practices for claiming BTS sharedrop in Peerplays?

(1/2) > >>

biophil:

--- Quote from: Frodo on July 15, 2017, 10:04:43 am ---Has anyone tried the reset brainkey functionality? Seems like it would replace all private keys.

--- End quote ---

I have not; I've never put forth any effort to understand what that does. You're thinking it replaced all keys for all accounts in the wallet? That sounds useful.

Frodo:
Has anyone tried the reset brainkey functionality? Seems like it would replace all private keys.

biophil:

--- Quote from: robo on June 13, 2017, 08:36:23 am ---Would it be safer to create a new Bitshares account and
transfer your bitshares to that account? Then use the
private key of the original (now empty) account to claim
your Peerplays. If that private key gets compromised/revealed
to a third-party it doesn't really matter because the account
it controls is now empty.

--- End quote ---

That would certainly work if you're not too in love with your original account. There is better way to do it, but I haven't dug enough yet to be sure I know what that way is.

robo:
Would it be safer to create a new Bitshares account and
transfer your bitshares to that account? Then use the
private key of the original (now empty) account to claim
your Peerplays. If that private key gets compromised/revealed
to a third-party it doesn't really matter because the account
it controls is now empty.

Methodise:

--- Quote from: biophil on June 09, 2017, 06:35:26 pm ---
--- Quote from: Methodise on June 09, 2017, 03:59:09 pm ---I believe you have to add a new (2nd) key, then you'll be able to delete the original one.

--- End quote ---

One question I have is how to generate the new 2nd key. The web wallet doesn't seem to be giving me the option anywhere.

--- End quote ---

That's a very good point. I've previously resorted to creating throw-away accounts, then borrowing the keys generated for those accounts by the software, to repurpose elsewhere. That would be my recommended approach.

Otherwise there was a bitshares paper wallet generator that also spat out fresh keys, although it would seem best to take the former approach.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version