Author Topic: What is Best Practice Wallet Protocol in Bitshares ?  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Methodise

Go Account -> Advanced Features -> Permissions.

There you have Active, Owner, and Memo permissions, with at least one key pair for each. Given your wallet password, you should be able to display your Private Key corresponding to at least one given Pubic Key/Address.

It is those keys you need to keep secure, but the best way to do this is with a simple exported .bin backup of your wallet, which will keep an encrypted store of all the keys in your wallet, encrypted with your usual wallet password.

BTS: methodise

Offline toknormal

• View Profile
Ultimately, a paper wallet is just a print out of your numbers & letters..

Thanks for your previous replies. This is the part I don't understand - what numbers and letters ? The username and password for the account ? But according to messages, this only works on the local browser. If I switch to another machine it won't work (as I understand it). Is that correct?

Offline Methodise

• is there an equivalent of a BTS block explorer that one can check progress of transactions

https://cryptofresh.com - but Bitshares transactions are quicker than cryptofresh (or poloniex) is likely to load, at times like this.

• is there an equivalent of a BTS paper wallet (I exported the backup wallet but it's electronic. Nothing like seeing a bunch of numbers & letters in your face for the feeling of security)

There was one, although I'm not ready to recommend it. Ultimately, a paper wallet is just a print out of your numbers & letters..

• you know the account name that you create in the BTS client. Is that the 'address' that one should use for withdrawing to from the exchange ? (It's what I used)

Yes, isn't it elegant?

• you know how in Bitcoin people create multiple addresses for different purposes (trading, cold wallet etc). Is that also recommended practice in Bitshares or do we just hold everything under the one account ?

I think this is a personal decision, but it does seem reasonable to segregate things to suit your own record-keeping.
BTS: methodise

Offline toknormal

• View Profile
Hi !

For 2 years I've kept my BTS on the exchange because it's so different from Bitcoin that I felt safer keeping it on an exchange than downloading to wallet. I once saw someone post a 'best practice' procedure for bitcoin cold wallets that I've used ever since. What is the equivalent in Bitshares ? If I could get some basic questions answered here it would be much appreciated:

I created an account with Bitshares wallet (of the 'more secure' type, can't remember what the name of that option was). I did a test withdraw from Polo of 10 BTS but it hasn't turned up yet:

• is there an equivalent of a BTS block explorer that one can check progress of transactions
 • is there an equivalent of a BTS paper wallet (I exported the backup wallet but it's electronic. Nothing like seeing a bunch of numbers & letters in your face for the feeling of security)
 • you know the account name that you create in the BTS client. Is that the 'address' that one should use for withdrawing to from the exchange ? (It's what I used)
 • you know how in Bitcoin people create multiple addresses for different purposes (trading, cold wallet etc). Is that also recommended practice in Bitshares or do we just hold everything under the one account ?

Thanks for any answers ! in the meantime my balance still didn't turn up. Maybe I used the wrong address.

P.S. Does the Bitshares client use some kind of API in the default browser engine ? (e.g. I'm on a Mac. Does that means I'm actually looking at the Bitshares client through a Safari window ? I notice all other windows grind to an almost halt when the BTS client is running).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:27:27 pm by toknormal »