Author Topic: A few questions about BitShares  (Read 2686 times)

Offline yvv

• View Profile
Ok, this is bad, this means that projects like Blocknet are far superior, because there you can trade cryptos directly.

Can you? Is it operational exchange or something in development?

Yes, also BitSquare.io

Works fine and needs no token

Bitsquare.io and blocknet are different things. Yes, bitsquare is working in p2p way. It has pros and cons over bitshares way of trading tokens. My original question was about blocknet.

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
Yes, also BitSquare.io

Needs no token, OK. But I wouldn't call it "fine". I wouldn't call it decentralized either, because of the arbitration process.
From their FAQ:
How long does a trade take?

... National currency transfers ... can take days (SEPA). Bitcoin transactions can take up to 10 minutes, as at least one confirmation from the Bitcoin network is required ...

How much does it cost to trade on Bisq?

A small fee of 0.0008 BTC when creating an offer and 0.0015 BTC (0.0005 BTC Mining fee) when taking an offer ... miner’s fees to transfer cryptocurrency, or banking fees to transfer national currency.

Why do I need to keep my application online when I have an open offer?

If you have published an offer your Bisq application need to stay online ...

How can I edit my offer?

At the moment you cannot edit an offer once it is published. ...

Dispute Resolution

An arbitrator is a real person who finds solutions to any disputes that may occur during a trade.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline Questions

• View Profile
Ok, this is bad, this means that projects like Blocknet are far superior, because there you can trade cryptos directly.

Yes, also BitSquare.io

Offline yvv

• View Profile

Offline pc

• View Profile

I'm not familiar with Blocknet.

There have been discussions about connecting BitShares with other blockchains, so that users can move tokens from one chain to another. That would be preferrable of course.

* SmartCoins aka Market-Pegged Assets - these are loosely coupled to the external currency they represent, see Question 9

SmartCoins in BitShares rely on an external "price feed". The owner or issuer of a SmartCoin can specify a number of trusted users who are allowed to publish the external price of the token against its underlying asset. Typically, SmartCoins are owned by the committee, and the price feed is published by the witnesses (who also sign the blocks).

So ti is centralised and requires you to trust a party? So it is not trustless, not decentrilised and not censorship resistant, correct? These parties can censor and alter data, correct?

SmartCoins are about as decentralized as can be in BitShares. If your opinion is that DPoS consensus is not sufficiently decentralized you're in the wrong forum.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline lakerta06

Bad intentions, I sense

Offline Questions

• View Profile
You cannot trade any (crypto)currencies directly.

* SmartCoins aka Market-Pegged Assets - these are loosely coupled to the external currency they represent, see Question 9

SmartCoins in BitShares rely on an external "price feed". The owner or issuer of a SmartCoin can specify a number of trusted users who are allowed to publish the external price of the token against its underlying asset. Typically, SmartCoins are owned by the committee, and the price feed is published by the witnesses (who also sign the blocks).

So ti is centralised and requires you to trust a party? So it is not trustless, not decentrilised and not censorship resistant, correct? These parties can censor and alter data, correct?

Offline pc

• View Profile
1) Which cryptocurrency pairs can I currently exchange via BitShares?
6) Can I exchange crypto for crypto directly or do I always have to buy BitShares unit?
7) If no, why can't you make it so I can exchange crypto for crypto directly?

This page lists the assets that currently exist in BitShares: http://cryptofresh.com/assets
You trade any of these assets against any other, but most of these markets are empty.

You cannot trade any (crypto)currencies directly. Instead, there are a variety of BitShares assets that represent external currencies, most importantly BTC and various fiat currencies. There are currently two different types of representative assets:

* certain user-issued assets - these work like IOUs and they are issued by an external (centralized) entity, that entity guarantees that the IOUs are redeemable for the asset they represent. The most widely used IOUs are probably those from OpenLedger, for example OPEN.BTC etc.

9) How can a censorship resistant, decentrilised exchange like BitShares determine the USDT tied value? How can it be done? How technically blockchain can determine what is the EUR or USD value? It has to take data from someplace, right? So if it is not centralised, how is this data received to the blockchain?

Offline Questions

• View Profile
Hey guys, I have a few questions about BitShares:
1) Which cryptocurrency pairs can I currently exchange via BitShares?
2) what incentive do nodes have to run the BitShares platform?
3) How does Bitshares compare to Blocknet?
4) How does BItshares compare to Bancor?
5) How does Bitshares compare to Ark project?
6) Can I exchange crypto for crypto directly or do I always have to buy BitShares unit?
7) If no, why can't you make it so I can exchange crypto for crypto directly?
8 ) How does liquidity work in the BitShares exchange?
9) How can a censorship resistant, decentrilised exchange like BitShares determine the USDT tied value? How can it be done? How technically blockchain can determine what is the EUR or USD value? It has to take data from someplace, right? So if it is not centralised, how is this data received to the blockchain?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 10:56:01 am by Questions »