Author Topic: Wallet Question  (Read 1483 times)

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
Like I said, I'm not sure if the light client can import your .bin file, but if so that would be the way to go.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline stuart

• View Profile
Hi pc,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I am able to import my wallet into the browser with no problems.

Just so I understand, with the light client and browser I need to import the .bin file first before I can log in?

Thanks

Stuart

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
Your account is registered on the blockchain and can be accessed through various ways, like openledger.io or the light client. In order to control your account, you need cryptographic keys. These keys are stored in what you call your "wallet", and for extra security this wallet is protected with a passphrase.

So if you have created your account on openledger.io and then start the light client, the light client cannot control your account until you import the required keys into it. Similarly, clearing your browser cache deletes the "wallet" from your browser's storage, which is why you can't control your account anymore.

You should be able to import your backup into your browser to regain control of your account. I'm not sure but it could even be possible to import the same backup into the light client.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline stuart

• View Profile
Hi everyone,

I've recently bought into Bitshares but I must admit I've found it a little tricky to get my head around, so I'm looking for some guidance if someone could advise I would really grateful.

So I bought some BTS on the bittrex exchange and with all the centralised exchanges either being hacked or closed down, I decided to create a Bitshares account and transfer them on to the Openledger exchange. I can see my balance in the web browser and I've taken lots of backups of my wallet and have them safely stored. So from an importing point of view, all is good. However I recently was curious about using the Bitshares2-light client (I believe this is a wallet?),  I downloaded and tried to log in with my Bitshares account, which it recognises, but it does not accept my password. When logging into the same username through the browser, the password is accepted. I don't recall setting up two different passwords for the same account.

I also just wanted to add, as a test I cleared my browser cache, and went to the openledger.io webpage again. When trying to login again it recognized my account name but was saying my password was incorrect. Am I right in thinking there is a password for my wallet and a password for the account?

Is there a bug somewhere or is there something I am missing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks

Stuart
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:22:20 pm by stuart »