Author Topic: Marketing efforts  (Read 10411 times)

Offline Ravid

• View Profile
@BitcoinJesus2.O I won't quote your post, it's too long :)
What was the downside of Dan's margin trading proposition? Why did people outvote him?

As you put it, it sounds really damn easy to make it happen. And @yvv will be so happy!

Offline meganwale

• View Profile
    • Free Project Management Templates - Techno-PM
For me Bitshretalk website structure and other SEO thing looks good but need to improve meta tags and thread topics should be appropriate. Marketing point of view you can prefer a social media campaigns.
Project Manager
at Techno-PM

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
maybe  posting a weekly "what's new/state of network" in r/cryptocurrency may help a little too, like district0x is doing. and making the community up vote the posts

I think same as you, something big have to be made for marketing.
I'm a noob at marketing but if you need main d'oeuvre you can call me

as for Stan's billion hero compaign, I fear it is as dead as his "btc-united" project
it look like he like a lot exposing his ideas, make them look revolutionary as fuck like if he was selling cheap penis enlargement pills, then forget them
We have weekly report on Steemit like this https://steemit.com/bitshares/@steempower/bitshares-state-of-the-network-3rd-october-2017

We have weekly hangouts like this https://steemit.com/eos-project/@officialfuzzy/pm7fk-beyondbitcoin-rsvp-whaletank-hangout-232-or-2017-11-11-or-sat-200pm-utc-or-over-325-usdbd-in-awards , if someone can make transcript of them that's great.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline dan777

• View Profile
Great platform, great founders, great community....and no one uses the platform. Mean while competitors are catching up fast. Unfortunately the Lamborghini in a farm shed describes bitshares 100%

Offline Crypto Kong

• View Profile
Awareness is another, we could all start posting on https://www.tradingview.com/  and similar sites making traders aware of Openledger  and Rudex
This is a fairly simple but good idea, also etoro. It has a lot of noob users looking to buy bitcoin that don’t know how. They have a good forum/ chat room thing on their app. Few of us should start sharing posts on how bitshares is safest best way to trade crypto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline doyoubit

• View Profile
Awareness is another, we could all start posting on https://www.tradingview.com/  and similar sites making traders aware of Openledger  and Rudex

Offline 天籁

• View Profile
What about the margin trading? What's wrong with it?

Currently, you can be margin called even if you have enough balance to cover your entire debt in your account, because  MPA contract is not smart enough to be aware that no debt exists until bitAsset is transferred from the issuing account. To close your position, you need to add funds on top of your 2x collateral first, which is nonsense. and if you have, say, 1000 USD worth of BTS in your account, and you want to short bitUSD, you need to issue 500 bitUSD, sell them, add BTS to collateral manually, issue 250 bitUSD more, sell, ..., keep repeating this infinite number of times until you get old and die. This is not how shorting should work. You should be able to go ahead and put 1000 bitUSD sell order on bitUSD/BTS market. Alternatively, you could put 500 bitUSD order on any other market or send them to your friend. Or, you could put 800 bitUSD sell order on bitUSD/BTS market and send another 100 bitUSD to your friend at the same time. In all these cases your position would be covered by 2x collateral all the time, because bitUSD which is sitting in a limit order is not your debt, and when the order is (partially) taken, a smart contract which is really smart would top up the collateral as needed. This is how shorting works on other exchanges.

I repeat myself, decentralized margin trading is an awesome idea, and a greatest selling point of bitshares. It should be advertised proactively, because people trade on margin like crazy on other exchanges, which indicates that a huge demand exists. But, it would be easier to convince everybody to switch to DEX if the major flaws were fixed.
GREAT VIEW POINT +5%

Offline yvv

• View Profile
What about the margin trading? What's wrong with it?

Currently, you can be margin called even if you have enough balance to cover your entire debt in your account, because  MPA contract is not smart enough to be aware that no debt exists until bitAsset is transferred from the issuing account. To close your position, you need to add funds on top of your 2x collateral first, which is nonsense. and if you have, say, 1000 USD worth of BTS in your account, and you want to short bitUSD, you need to issue 500 bitUSD, sell them, add BTS to collateral manually, issue 250 bitUSD more, sell, ..., keep repeating this infinite number of times until you get old and die. This is not how shorting should work. You should be able to go ahead and put 1000 bitUSD sell order on bitUSD/BTS market. Alternatively, you could put 500 bitUSD order on any other market or send them to your friend. Or, you could put 800 bitUSD sell order on bitUSD/BTS market and send another 100 bitUSD to your friend at the same time. In all these cases your position would be covered by 2x collateral all the time, because bitUSD which is sitting in a limit order is not your debt, and when the order is (partially) taken, a smart contract which is really smart would top up the collateral as needed. This is how shorting works on other exchanges.

I repeat myself, decentralized margin trading is an awesome idea, and a greatest selling point of bitshares. It should be advertised proactively, because people trade on margin like crazy on other exchanges, which indicates that a huge demand exists. But, it would be easier to convince everybody to switch to DEX if the major flaws were fixed.

Offline Crypto Kong

• View Profile
I don't know much about marketing. Not far ago I've seen on steemit one guy called bitshares "a Lamborghini in a farm barn". I feel exactly the same way. We have a car with a super advanced turbo charged engine which lacks a finish layer of paint, has bolts and nuts loose and full of cow crap inside. How do you want to market such a car? I don't see any way to sell it, but to finish paint, fix all loose parts and to clean up all shit.

Finally, we have a GUI which has a nice overview page (it was a shame before the last update not only buy its look, but by content too). This is a good progress, but there are still so many little flaws to fix. The biggest one imo is a margin trading. The idea of decentralized margin trading is brilliant, but current implementation on BTS is flawed, I insist on this, and this is one of the reasons why whales don't want to put their money into issuing bitAssets. I don't believe that a bunch of amateur enthusiasts, like most of us are, are able to fix this. This is a job for professionals who have experience in building traditional trading platforms. I know that the DEX by its nature is very different from forex etc, but it has to be at least not worse than traditional platforms by user experience to attract traders with big money.  This is not possible to achieve without special skills which developers of traditional finance platforms have. We need to get such people onboard.
Some great points here but I don’t agree with everything. I personally don’t think you’ll get whales here with any amount of marketing without liquidity. They can’t trade here yet, end of.

We need to focus on starting from the bottom up. We need to get the little people in here. We need to market our liquidity increasing, profitable market making strategies to smaller players. We need to get the auto bot liquidity trading strategy worker proposal raised and completed and market this to the smaller players.

To those unaware we have started 2 chat rooms, one to discuss profitable liquidity increasing strategies and one to discuss creation of the auto trading bot and introduce a worker proposal to get this done.

This will create excitement, the whole of crypto wants to get rich quick. Tell me one small player new to crypto who doesn’t want an auto bot trading on a dex for them with the dream of free money for nothing. We promote this in our tour of AMA to the small fish and we are on to a winner.

Offline Crypto Kong

• View Profile
I propose we all forget about the "I think someone else better than me should do it", because at the end, nobody does anything but wait and hope someone else will do it for them.

if you think you can't do a thing, then let's focus on which thing we could do our self and in the short-medium timeframe

Great idea.

You can start by retiring this account.

We know what a "bagholder" is... it's someone left holding the bag, often "stuck" holding it.

It's ironic that you want to focus on short-medium time frames.  I suggest you choose a forum alias, without a negative connotation to it.  That would be an awesome start.
Haha he has a fair point, the name bagholder not a good advertisement. Improving marketing for you would defiantly start here [emoji23]

Offline Ravid

• View Profile
I don't know much about marketing. Not far ago I've seen on steemit one guy called bitshares "a Lamborghini in a farm barn". I feel exactly the same way. We have a car with a super advanced turbo charged engine which lacks a finish layer of paint, has bolts and nuts loose and full of cow crap inside. How do you want to market such a car? I don't see any way to sell it, but to finish paint, fix all loose parts and to clean up all shit.

Finally, we have a GUI which has a nice overview page (it was a shame before the last update not only buy its look, but by content too). This is a good progress, but there are still so many little flaws to fix. The biggest one imo is a margin trading. The idea of decentralized margin trading is brilliant, but current implementation on BTS is flawed, I insist on this, and this is one of the reasons why whales don't want to put their money into issuing bitAssets. I don't believe that a bunch of amateur enthusiasts, like most of us are, are able to fix this. This is a job for professionals who have experience in building traditional trading platforms. I know that the DEX by its nature is very different from forex etc, but it has to be at least not worse than traditional platforms by user experience to attract traders with big money.  This is not possible to achieve without special skills which developers of traditional finance platforms have. We need to get such people onboard.
Dude, that post was more insightful than almost anything  in this thread, good job!
 Yeah, I've read that article too. And you are most certainly right about all the little flaws, especially cow crap. The thing is, we think as technical people, not marketers. Those guys can sell anything. Have you seen the sheer amount of coins/ICOs at CMC? 95% of them don't have anything at all. A lot of them are valued in millions just for the promise of delivering something someday. We have a working product that even with all the cow crap beats everything there currently is on the market. Not for long, though, as competition is catching up and time is running out. As @Stan wrote in one of his posts, his marketing guys are drooling all over this platform.
 As Kong stated, these AMA sessions not only will bring a new way to get exposure, they will also get us a market survey about what people need us to have and what needs to be improved.
 What about the margin trading? What's wrong with it? Is there any link where i can read up on it? If this issue can't be solved by our "amateurs", why is it so hard to hire a professional trading platform dev with experience?
 I would also like to know about all the other "loose bolts", where can I read about them?

Disclaimer: It may seem like it's just a bunch of newbies with no clue blaming the older members for not doing anything, but I assure you I am here for civilised discussion and only for the betterment of this project.

PS we still haven't heard from other " big guns" here, their insight is important too
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 05:19:46 am by Ravid »

Offline intelliguy

I propose we all forget about the "I think someone else better than me should do it", because at the end, nobody does anything but wait and hope someone else will do it for them.

if you think you can't do a thing, then let's focus on which thing we could do our self and in the short-medium timeframe

Great idea.

You can start by retiring this account.

We know what a "bagholder" is... it's someone left holding the bag, often "stuck" holding it.

It's ironic that you want to focus on short-medium time frames.  I suggest you choose a forum alias, without a negative connotation to it.  That would be an awesome start.
I'm @intelliguy on steemit. I usually get things right (or so they tell me), follow me there if you want to see more. Tips accepted to bitshares user: intelliguy-bts  (I'm a lifetime member because I trust in the Bitshares ecosystem)

Offline bitsharesbagholder

Offline yvv

• View Profile

Offline bitsharesbagholder

maybe  posting a weekly "what's new/state of network" in r/cryptocurrency may help a little too, like district0x is doing. and making the community up vote the posts

I think same as you, something big have to be made for marketing.
I'm a noob at marketing but if you need main d'oeuvre you can call me

as for Stan's billion hero compaign, I fear it is as dead as his "btc-united" project
it look like he like a lot exposing his ideas, make them look revolutionary as fuck like if he was selling cheap penis enlargement pills, then forget them