Author Topic: Disk space on a witness node  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Digital Lucifer

• BitShares Maximalist & Venture Architect
    • View Profile
    • BitShares
  • BitShares: dls.cipher
  • GitHub: dls-cipher
Hi, I was not able to find neither documentation nor forum discussion about Bitshares witness node disk consumption.  Witness node copies the whole chain on disk. At some point of the time in the future any HDD space on the witness node will be over. What should I do after disk is completely consumed: truncate the blockchain, start a chain with same id but from some block in the past etc.? Any links to discussions or documentation? Thank you.

There is actual no need for such thing as already explained in post above, but lets me explain in details why.

Classic offer nowadays for Cloud VPS or VPS comes with SSD of minimum 40GB to 60GB and 2GB of ram.

Entire full node with cleaned up files is 11GB.

Entire current live blockchain is 8.7GB

If you use 20GB from HDD as ramfs and still have 40 left, you can run node for next 365 days with no worries.

Cheers,

Luci.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 06:44:44 pm by Digital Lucifer »
Milos (DL) Preocanin
Owner and manager of bitshares.org
Move Institute, Non-profit organization
RN: 2098555000
Murska Sobota, Slovenia.

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
2 years after the start of BTS-2.0, the full blockchain consumes about 7GB of diskspace. It will be a looooong time before the blockchain outgrows even the largest disks, and long before that you will start worrying about your network bandwidth.

When it does, finally, it's always an option to take a snapshot of the current state and start a new blockchain, using the snapshot as the new genesis.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline alpes214

• View Profile
Hi, I was not able to find neither documentation nor forum discussion about Bitshares witness node disk consumption.  Witness node copies the whole chain on disk. At some point of the time in the future any HDD space on the witness node will be over. What should I do after disk is completely consumed: truncate the blockchain, start a chain with same id but from some block in the past etc.? Any links to discussions or documentation? Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 02:37:14 pm by alpes214 »