Author Topic: Wikipedia page is live  (Read 6118 times)

Offline Ravid

• View Profile
Hello everyone,

wikipedia page for bitshares is now live and can be found at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitShares

A little over a month ago I volunteered to get us to wiki and now finally managed to succeed. However, it took me much more time and effort than I initially was ready to put in.
So if you like how it looks and want me to continue working on it I would like to propose a worker (but I need help with creating it as I couldn't figure out how to do it myself).

Why do we need a wikipedia page
Three reasons:
1) wikipedia is the fifth most visited website on the Internet, being there could provide us with some increased exposure and maybe could help with the marketing.
 2) It provides credibility. There are a lot of people whose opinion about a product/company is greatly influenced by the wiki. One example are my father and brother, who were not convinced by anything until I showed them the article yesterday and now they are ready to invest.
3) This community has already expressed it's interest in such a page a few times on this forum.
Anyone could do it
 Anyone could, but noone did, for more than three years now. Although it is a free encyclopedia and everyone can create an account and attempt to publish whatever they want, getting approved by their admins is a lot of work, too much for it to be a hobby.

Work done
-Collecting materials, writing, editing to comply with their encyclopedic standards (TM)
-A lot of arguing with the admins - they are not too familiar with the crypto world, so the "subject notability" was an issue and it also  took me almost a week to explain that bitshares is not exactly a company, but a software
- As a bonus, I managed to convince the admins that several existing pages for other crypto projects (waves, digibyte, peercoin etc.) didn't meet the standards they tried to enforce on me, so the pages got tagged and may even be deleted in the future.

Planned work
-Page maintenance: protection from vandals, defence against admins in case if any issues arise in the future.
-Adding a translation to Russian and maybe Hebrew if deemed relevant.
-I am sure the community will have some suggestions for improvements and additional materials - I will review all of them and edit them in if they are relevant.

Moreover, I think that if this worker gets approved it will show others that there are additional ways to help the platform besides being a programmer and working with the devs.

If you think that there is no need for such a worker, I'll leave it as it is and won't bother you with that matter anymore.

Edit: as requested by xeroc my account name is egor-ravid
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 08:12:20 am by Ravid »