Author Topic: Upcoming WP for creating easy to use liquidity bots. Feedback please!  (Read 15166 times)

Offline MarkoPaasila

Offline MarkoPaasila

Great news! I have one concern though. It is not clear from the proposal how decentralized will be your bots. Since you plan to use funding through WP, I would expect the resulting product to belong to community and server nodes to be easy to run by anybody. Btsbots is great, but it was ran in a centralized way, and wee see what happened.  Could you make any comments regarding this concern?

We will not provide servers for the purpose. Everyone has to run the bots on their own computers or servers. Many of the market making strategies are suitable for use on computers that aren't on all the time. So it will create a very redundant swarm of decentralized bots, where everyone holds their own keys, and many their own nodes.

So market making pro's can run this on a server, and normal people plus noobs can do it on a laptop. There will be a CLI version and an installable GUI version.

So do I understand correctly that your design does not need a dedicated server node (unlike btsbots)? Is this correct?

Correct. We think it's bad practice to give private keys to a third party. However, if the lack of a bot-as-a-service is a showstopper, we are ready to consider it.

No, with btsbots you don't need to give private keys to a third party, but it still has a server, where web page is hosted, bot config files for every account, price feed scripts etc. This is makes it very convenient to use, because you can run your bot on your private server, and control it from any device via btsbots.com web page, but this makes it non-trivial to fork. We can't just download the source code and run the bot, because it requires data from btsbots.com, which is down (which is very pity).

You are right. But having the keys in your browser means you need to keep the browser window open. The server can't update your strategy when your browser is closed. In that sense local software isn't much different. I think a server-browser model has it's merits, and we will consider all possibilities. Have you already joined the Telegram chat room? https://t.me/BTSLiquidityBotWorkerProposal, where we will be discussing such details? We would love to have your input there.

Offline yvv

• View Profile
Great news! I have one concern though. It is not clear from the proposal how decentralized will be your bots. Since you plan to use funding through WP, I would expect the resulting product to belong to community and server nodes to be easy to run by anybody. Btsbots is great, but it was ran in a centralized way, and wee see what happened.  Could you make any comments regarding this concern?

We will not provide servers for the purpose. Everyone has to run the bots on their own computers or servers. Many of the market making strategies are suitable for use on computers that aren't on all the time. So it will create a very redundant swarm of decentralized bots, where everyone holds their own keys, and many their own nodes.

So market making pro's can run this on a server, and normal people plus noobs can do it on a laptop. There will be a CLI version and an installable GUI version.

So do I understand correctly that your design does not need a dedicated server node (unlike btsbots)? Is this correct?

Correct. We think it's bad practice to give private keys to a third party. However, if the lack of a bot-as-a-service is a showstopper, we are ready to consider it.

No, with btsbots you don't need to give private keys to a third party, but it still has a server, where web page is hosted, bot config files for every account, price feed scripts etc. This is makes it very convenient to use, because you can run your bot on your private server, and control it from any device via btsbots.com web page, but this makes it non-trivial to fork. We can't just download the source code and run the bot, because it requires data from btsbots.com, which is down (which is very pity).

Offline MarkoPaasila

Offline yvv

• View Profile

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:00:44 pm by yvv »

Offline MarkoPaasila

ugh, I'm out.

Doe's ""I'm out" mean you think somethings wrong with the approach, or that everything is fine? If something is wrong, please let me know what. Feedback is what we want.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

ugh, I'm out.

Offline MarkoPaasila

Offline 白衣

• View Profile
  • BitShares: aaaa2233

产品属于社区和服务器节点,任何人都可以轻松运行,这将大大促进bitshares交易量,非常了不起的举动!

Offline yvv

• View Profile

Offline MarkoPaasila

The draft proposal is very well detailed and thought out.  Especially the payment terms bring credibility: "The received funds will be held in escrow by the Bitshares Foundation, and released at successful delivery of milestones."

-Has any software already started being coded?
-When will the worker proposal be created?

The Proposal will hopefully be made before Monday.

No software has been developed so far under this WP. With some good luck and good will from the community we could start coding right after New Year.

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
The draft proposal is very well detailed and thought out.  Especially the payment terms bring credibility: "The received funds will be held in escrow by the Bitshares Foundation, and released at successful delivery of milestones."

-Has any software already started being coded?
-When will the worker proposal be created?

Offline Crypto Kong

• View Profile
I fully support this initiative because I recently started using the btsbots.com site to help add liquidity to the DEX, but it was a pain in the butt to do.

Thankfully, I had the support of Crypto Kong which resulted in the bot working like a charm, but without his support I would never have managed.

The addition of an easy to use bot generating tool would be a huge plus for the DEX.

I personally would learn how to use it and teach others how to set it up for themselves.

I hope that this proposal can receive enough support from the community to make it a reality.

Thanks to all those involved in putting this together and I remain hopeful that we will make this happen.

Respectfully,
Kevin Messerly
kimchi-king
Unfortunatly a waste of time as you only got one days use of it, it’s no longer working because of the fork [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Crypto Kong

• View Profile
BTSBOTS has now stopped working since the fork. We need a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kimchi-king

I fully support this initiative because I recently started using the btsbots.com site to help add liquidity to the DEX, but it was a pain in the butt to do.

Thankfully, I had the support of Crypto Kong which resulted in the bot working like a charm, but without his support I would never have managed.

The addition of an easy to use bot generating tool would be a huge plus for the DEX.

I personally would learn how to use it and teach others how to set it up for themselves.

I hope that this proposal can receive enough support from the community to make it a reality.

Thanks to all those involved in putting this together and I remain hopeful that we will make this happen.

Respectfully,
Kevin Messerly
kimchi-king