Author Topic: [Witness Proposal] neoreel-1 - Montreal (East-Coast USA-Canada)  (Read 8201 times)

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
It is correct that you can't publish price feeds until you've been voted in. That's one of the reasons why you have a testnet witness - check that your setup works on testnet, then it should also work on mainnet.

Missing a block once in a while is normal. If it happened at the full hour, it could be due to https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-core/issues/504 but I think that's unlikely on testnet. Possibly caused by network glitches. Also check that your server clock is in sync.

Edit: Maintenance happens every 2 minutes on testnet, not at the full hour.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 05:01:46 pm by pc »
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline NeoReel

• Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
    • NeoReel
  • BitShares: neoreel-1
I have setup the pricefeed using xeroc's tool. Wondering if this tool is supposed to work when the witness is not active as I cannot see any price feed activity in my accounts. Obviously, you do not want random users publishing price feeds, but then again, that means it cannot be tested prior to having an active witness.

I've been running the new witness on the testnet and noticed it missed a block today. As I'm looking in the logs, I'm trying to understand why it did so. Trying to find it back, what error should it show in the log? Is it the error "Pushing block to fork database that failed to link"?

What is the most common reason for a block to be missed? Too long to verify all the transactions? In which case it is "normal" to miss a block once in a while? The witness server is fully dedicated to do only block generation, so why would it miss?

Thanks for all your info!

Cheers
President - NeoReel.com
CTO- MoClip.com
CEO- Relinked.com

Offline NeoReel

• Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
    • NeoReel
This full node wss://relinked.com/ws is back on the main blockchain.
The testnet witness as moved to a new private server.
I still have to setup my failsafe script to automatically report and switch to my backup witness.
I still have to setup price feed broadcast.

Cheers,
President - NeoReel.com
CTO- MoClip.com
CEO- Relinked.com

Offline NeoReel

• Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
    • NeoReel
Hello,

Sorry about this. I've been flipping things around with the testnet to setup a witness and a full node on different servers as requested earlier by pc. This will go back to a normal full node as soon as I finish installing this new server node so I can get rid of the witness. Will be fixed tonight.

Regards,
President - NeoReel.com
CTO- MoClip.com
CEO- Relinked.com

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
It seems wss://relinked.com/ws is now a testnet API node. @NeoReel is it intended?
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
The actual witness nodes are not (or at least should not be) allow incoming connections from the general internet. They typically run in a very limited configuration, for performance and security reasons.

Many witnesses are running additional nodes as seeds, and sometimes as full (API) nodes as well. Witness pay is quite generous, I think we can reasonably expect witnesses to run a full node as well.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline NeoReel

• Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
    • NeoReel
Stupid question. Are all the witnesses also full nodes? Can you be one without the other?
I wanted a new full node in North-East America/Canada because I think things might be slow up here for us and I also want to be accepted as a witness, but I might have no chance at all becoming an active witness in the forseeable future.
Should I push for the full node worker proposal first and then the witness proposal, or are they both tied together? I guess if the trust is put into the witness, then you are automatically accepted as a full node... Let me know how it goes!

Thanks!
President - NeoReel.com
CTO- MoClip.com
CEO- Relinked.com

Offline NeoReel

• Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
    • NeoReel
Thanks for your feedback abit.
Yep, been thinking on having the witness separate from full node, and I've been reading on setting up a hot swappable witness node and started fooling around with the testnet witness.

As for the price feed, I started implementing Xeroc's version but ran into a few issues. I'll get back to this asap.

Cheers,
President - NeoReel.com
CTO- MoClip.com
CEO- Relinked.com

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
I don't think there is a node in Vancouver... But now there is in Montreal! :)

The witness can be connected to using wss://relinked.com/ws
It is great to finaly have Low Latency! Currently at 111ms when I use to get 1500ms to 2000ms with all the other nodes.
Hi, for better security, witnesses (block producing nodes) should be running separately from API service nodes (the ones serving wss:// to public).

Witnesses should setup hot backups.

Should not publish IP addresses even locations of your witness nodes.

Witnesses should publish price feeds.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline NeoReel

• Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
    • NeoReel
There has been quite a few requests for a witness located near the North-East coast of the USA - Canada.
Please, consider voting for the witness "neoreel-1" located near Montreal, which is currently in position 98 with 50 million votes.
You can also connect to this worker using wss://relinked.com/ws

Thank you!
President - NeoReel.com
CTO- MoClip.com
CEO- Relinked.com

Offline NeoReel

• Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
    • NeoReel
This is a World Map overlayed with the Technological Density data. I circled the areas with Active BitShares Witnesses. Notice how a new Witness in Montreal, Canada would cover a large area that is currently experiencing lots of latency. Notably: New-York, Washington, Boston, Toronto, Detroit, etc.

Please VOTE for a new Active Witness neoreel-1
Connect to our server now: wss://relinked.com/ws

Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:42:16 pm by NeoReel »
President - NeoReel.com
CTO- MoClip.com
CEO- Relinked.com

Offline NeoReel

• Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
    • NeoReel
I don't think there is a node in Vancouver... But now there is in Montreal! :)

The witness can be connected to using wss://relinked.com/ws
It is great to finaly have Low Latency! Currently at 111ms when I use to get 1500ms to 2000ms with all the other nodes.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:03:30 pm by NeoReel »
President - NeoReel.com
CTO- MoClip.com
CEO- Relinked.com

Offline ecslew

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Can you please setup a testnet witness first, before applying for a main net witness? Thanks

Offline NeoReel

• Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
    • NeoReel
I thought the Worker Proposal and Witness Proposal were going hand in hand... Oops...
Anyways, I've just registered to be an active witness in Canada. My local node was working fine already, but I'll install it on my dedicated server and ask for your votes.

I guess since I've already paid for the Worker proposal, I'll convert that into a Bitshares French documentation translation... That is something lacking for us frenchies! :)

Thanks for helping me out!
President - NeoReel.com
CTO- MoClip.com
CEO- Relinked.com