Author Topic: Public Discussion of Future Bitshares Name Change (Ideas and Comments welcome)  (Read 2738 times)

Offline crypto4ever

• View Profile
Everyone refers to it as the Bitshares DEX right now

Why not BTSDEX with BTS being the coretoken?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:37:11 pm by crypto4ever »

Offline renkcub

• View Profile
How bout we loose the bitshares, but keep the bts.
If IBM can do it. And FBI, HSBC, AMD, IKEA, FIFA, IRS.

If somebody asks what it stands for we can just make it up as we go.
Like, Bank To Self, Bring The Sunscreen, Back To Sanity, Bank Telling System... etc

Not a bad idea!

Offline querkus

• View Profile
How bout we loose the bitshares, but keep the bts.
If IBM can do it. And FBI, HSBC, AMD, IKEA, FIFA, IRS.

If somebody asks what it stands for we can just make it up as we go.
Like, Bank To Self, Bring The Sunscreen, Back To Sanity, Bank Telling System... etc

Offline KenMonkey

• View Profile
  • BitShares: kmnk

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: jademont
I don't think the regulatory or rating institution will judge a coin only by its name... ;)
BTS committee member:jademont

Offline luther

• View Profile
  • BitShares: luther
All,

I couldn't find any discourse on the Forum over the oft-brought-up but not resolved need to change Bitshare's name.

This name was "OK" in 2014, but is no longer very fitting in the 2018 regulatory climate, as detailed by the Bitshares foundation (bitshares[/member].fdn/report-spokesperson-bitshares-blockchain-foundation-on-bittrex-inc-and-other-regulatory-issues]https://steemit.com/bitshares/@bitshares.fdn/report-spokesperson-bitshares-blockchain-foundation-on-bittrex-inc-and-other-regulatory-issues)

I'd like @xeroc @bitcrab and other top BTS holders to weigh in on what the latest is on this issue as well as next steps.

I've heard the suggestion BTX and liked it. However, I don't like the idea of "pidgeonholding" the name into a "Dex-only", as that is never what Bitshares was intended only to be - its a full featured platform/ecosystem. Also couldn't decide what BTX is "supposed to stand for" - Bitshares Dex? BitDex?

To this end, a more drastic name change would be welcome too (E.g. AntShares ---> NEO, RaiBlocks --> Nano) - something that epitomizes Bitshares role as the center of a financial ecosystem.

REMEMBER, this name needs to roll of the tongue, and to help you "think bigger, Pinky.." ... Imagine Stan repeating it 100's of times in his public talks...

Some ideas for names and  symbols:

Base (XBS) - Simple, straight forward... makes sense as a "collateral" "Base Tokens, or Base Credits" as long form.. similar to "BAT" as style of name.. branding for Dex would be "BaseDEX")
BTX (BTX) (mainly an acronym, like EOS.. what does it stand for though? BitX / BitDEX is an idea - leaving the focus on using BTX as the official brand).
SMRT (XSX, XSC) (or BitSmart - reference to smart assets - shorten name, like LBRY..... "Smart Credits"...
Nucleus (XNC) Cool name, does it fit?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:22:06 pm by luther »