Author Topic: [BBF][worker] Update BitShares' General Public Presentation (new domains inside)  (Read 730 times)

Offline Thul3

• View Profile
$10k just for the domain bitshares.exchanges is way to expensiv.

I don't see a single dime spent on real marketing .

A simple domain name like bithsares.exchanges brings nothing if it won't be promoted so i can't see the value of $10k for that domain.

I also don't understand why nobody else is stepping in and asking why the domain is so overpriced as it basicly has no value

Online sschiessl

This proposal was at a time when discussion about buying bitshares.com for 250k USD was going on and the future of the bitshares.org domain was uncertain.

With that background 10k USD didn't not sound so bad.

Offline Thul3

• View Profile
Actually it does.Since a tld .com can't be compared to a third class domain .exchange. Thats two total diffrent levels of domains.

bitshares.com is first way more easier to get a good ranking in google.
Also anyone who heard the name bitshares will first enter the name bitshares.com as URL and nobody is going to use bitshares.exchange .
The domain has no real value because its not a top level domain .It brings no benefit in regards to SEO and
noone is going to enter that domain himself (Type Ins) which gives a domain value.
So basicly you need to promote that domain to add to it any value.

$10k for a domain ending which is completly unknown to 99% of users.

$250k for bitshares.com is of course also way overpriced but at that time the foundation could register themself a domain for $10-50 and save the money for promotion or anything else
since the domain bitshares.exchanges doesn't add any value to the bitshares network which would justify $10k
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 07:23:40 pm by Thul3 »

Offline oxarbitrage

A simple domain name like bithsares.exchanges brings nothing if it won't be promoted so i can't see the value of $10k for that domain.

I also don't understand why nobody else is stepping in and asking why the domain is so overpriced as it basicly has no value

i asked the same question here https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=26167.msg317163#msg317163

Offline Digital Lucifer

• 13 years of being Slackware abUser
    • View Profile
    • Bitshares DEX Thailand
  • BitShares: steem-not
  • GitHub: dls-cipher

i asked the same question here https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=26167.msg317163#msg317163

@xeroc had statement that domain is purchased directly from the owner - that mean it was not available for regular public sale. It's nothing strange, since I personally know the guy who acquired openledger.exchange for that same purpose -> Reselling it to well known, and potentially interested party in the future.

From another perspective, being someone involved in legal matters around having BitShares in Slovenia and Thailand... separation of Wallet from original bitshares.org in manners such as bitshares.exchange/s can be legally very bold move, helping bitshares.org to present blockchain and technology ONLY, leaving .exchange as independent dApp driven by Community.

Just my thoughts on this, that's all.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 01:43:46 am by Digital Lucifer »
Milos (Mike) Preocanin - General Manager @ Syntek Solutions
TOANDI Co., LTD. (BOI Approved) - TAX ID: 0205549016913 - 95/5 Moo 4 Siam Country Club Rd.
Nong Prue, Bang Lamung, Chonburi 20250, Thailand.

Offline JohnR

That is a good point about separating .org (for general knowledge and presenting bts in factual/neutral way) and exchange (more sensitive for certain regulatory authorities).  While I think the community and officials can adequately inform the public about the distinctions (protocol vs dapps), best not to invite skepticism before it can be handled in thoughtful manner.

@xeroc had statement that domain is purchased directly from the owner - that mean it was not available for regular public sale. It's nothing strange, since I personally know the guy who acquired openledger.exchange for that same purpose -> Reselling it to well known, and potentially interested party in the future.

From another perspective, being someone involved in legal matters around having BitShares in Slovenia and Thailand... separation of Wallet from original bitshares.org in manners such as bitshares.exchange/s can be legally very bold move, helping bitshares.org to present blockchain and technology ONLY, leaving .exchange as independent dApp driven by Community.

Just my thoughts on this, that's all.