Author Topic: pybitshares: "You already have created a wallet!"  (Read 2079 times)

Offline sschiessl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: sschiessl
Wallet is just wording here. There is no connection (technical nor official) between the wallet of pybitshares and the wallet you created on bitshares.org

The pybitshares wallet is located as a encrypted sqlite database in in ~/.local/share/bitshares/bitshares.sqlite

Hope that helps

Offline akashic

• View Profile
I (naively) ran the code in the prologue of the pybitshares docs:

Code: [Select]
from bitshares import BitShares
bitshares = BitShares()
bitshares.wallet.create("secret-passphrase")
bitshares.wallet.addPrivateKey("<wif-key>")

And after being unable to unlock the wallet for a transfer:

from bitshares import BitShares
bitshares = BitShares()
bitshares.wallet.unlock("wallet-passphrase")
bitshares.transfer("<to>", "<amount>", "<asset>", "[<memo>]", account="<from>")

I found  a website that converts to and from WIF keys (http://gobittest.appspot.com/PrivateKey) and (naively) used that to create a wallet (unaware of this information on how to create a real wallet and add a WIF key given here - https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=26177.0).

So, now I am stuck with having created a wallet that is not truly on the bitshares blockchain.

I would like to completely erase the wallet I (naively) created.
pip uninstall bitshares ; pip install bitshares did not get rid of the wallet I created but can no longer get in.
I would like to instead run the wallet creation code with the wallet I just created. There is a small problem though: when I went to wallet.bitshares.org to create the wallet, it seems that it was created as a sub-account of "floatation8" not as a full-account. The reason I say that is that the account I created (adsactlybot8) has no password - at no point in the account creation process was I prompted to enter a password for the new account. This I do not see how wallet.create('secret-passphrase') would work: is this passphrase supposed to be the same as the one when the wallet was created or a new one?