Author Topic: Android Custom Token Wallet Worker Proposal  (Read 4689 times)

Offline Cryptick1

Saturday, I was on the BitShares OpenSource Agenda Hangout hosted by Fuzzy.

Did a 20 minute talk covering why we believe now is the time to take the strengths of BitShares to mobile.

There was a very positive response and lot of talk about it in the aftershow as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=N4xXTtNpJSg

Cryptick

Offline Cryptick1

Abit,
Thanks for bringing those two apps to our attention. I added them to the list in the business plan. It is always exciting to find out about new projects.
Cryptick

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
MagicWallet (https://www.magicw.net) and SuperOne (https://superone.io) are the most used BitShares mobile apps in China. I didn't find them in your documents.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline Cryptick1

Thanks for the feedback.

It is exciting to present solutions to the community.

Ultimately, we felt a worker proposal –and the corresponding business plan- should be all inclusive and self-supporting with all the aspects that are needed to succeed. We think this is a STRENGTH not a weakness of our proposal.

It takes a lot of effort to get a proposal past, so coming back repeatedly for the same project is not appealing.  Also sometimes the advice we get is contradictory, I am also sorry that I cannot incorporate all of it.

I believe that in formulating a plan for the community it needs to be the best plan possible with the best chance of being successful. There are some strategic reasons we put the plan together this way.

So we went with a short worker proposal and went into all the details in the 40+ page business plan –I hope it has answered many of your questions. The 100,000 BTS cabinet fee, is included with management in the top budget, it is listed in the cabinet explanation and the business plan. We do have a line legal- which I was hoping we are not going to need to use.

I do like Xeroc’s idea of cutting the proposal down to parts. That is why we did not include and iPhone version in the current proposal. We have several other ideas we have explored in the strategies section of the proposal, but those are put aside for now. We think it is better to prove the concept with Android first.

We wanted a Minimum Viable Product MVP, but one that was fully self-supporting.

Let’s talk about cars…
A car takes four wheels, with only three wheels it does not go so well.

We feel that cutting this plan apart would be like trying to drive a car with three wheels.

Also…
A car also need multiple things. An engine to go, gas in the tank, a drive and people along for the ride.
So our plan has:
*Programing. –the engine that powers the car.
*Marketing. –The gas that makes the car go.
*Contest –Community Involvement & room for passengers.
*Management –Steering, makes sure the car goes the right direction and stays on the road.

Now if this app were a traditional trading app, we could skip the contest, the marketing, market research, and just build an app. Our plan is more complex, like a car is more complex than a motorbike.

Having a comprehensive business plan and we need a comprehensive budget.
We think all parts are needed to be successful.
We think cutting the proposal apart makes it weaker and more likely to fail.

So if it is about the money there are some things to consider.

I do realize that $550,000K is a lot of money.   So there are ways to cut down on the budget.

One could easily cut money form the contest. One could have a $50,000 contest instead of a $150,000.
*We felt a bigger contest would get more publicity.
*You will also notice we are spreading prizes widely
*Prize money is distributed to encourage innovation a good thing.
*This is money that is invested into the futures of BitShares. Not money wasted.

Some say an app can be built for less. Yes, that is true. But it is like buying a car. How much should you send on a car?  $30,000; $40,000 $50,000.  Do you buy a used one or a new one? Do you buy an expensive one of a cheap one?  Opinions vary widely.

We approached BitUniverse for a quote. We have seen their work and believe they are a good reliable partner. We think it will be worth it. If someone seriously has a better offer for app development, contact one of the Cabinet Members for consideration. We don’t like the idea of switching development teams, but our responsibility to the community means we need to consider it.

As for marketing, we believe that is really important and something that BitShares has been missing. We need more active users on the BlockChain. While some traditional marketing will needed to be done, we think better results will be obtained with a world class contest and niche marketing.

Getting a worker proposal passed, is hard, cutting up the proposal into pieces means it is multiplying and justifying that work many times over. In order, to get attention in the Crypto Space worker proposals need to be sexy and exciting. Real work in building out a Dex is not always so exciting.

The members behind the cabinet believe in BitShares. We are willing to reformulate this proposal, particularly with commitments from key players the reformulated proposal will quickly pass.

There are couple of more points I would like to make that might help people understand all we went through in creating this plan.

We look at BitShares strategically. Where is it now, what are its strengths what are its weaknesses, how can we create a compelling plan that would be help take BitShares forward.

BitShares has some awesome strengths. SmartCoins, UIA, Fast Block Times and User Friendly Account Names. BitShares has lacked in use, advertising and User Interface.

Let’s talk about use. Even though there are over 1,000,000 accounts, only 140,000 have BTS, only 50,000 have a balance of more than 3 BTS, only 33,000 have traded in the last month and 12,000 trade on a typical day.  We need more fundamental use of the blockchain.

Is this a programing proposal with marketing?
Or is this a marketing proposal with programing?

We believe it is a marketing proposal with programming. BTS core strengths are so strong, they do not need improvement. They need people using them.  Some development is needed to get it used on mobile.

We need to take BitShares out into the hands of people around the world, so they can experience the power of BitShares. A creative coin contest, will create small deep pockets of heavy use around the world. Organizations, can then market BTS for us, to their customers if we solve their programs.

This is a unique plan to get more people to use the DEX. A blockchain, like a book is only good if it is used.

Thank you for letting us help take BTS into the hands of people on the move around the world.
Cryptick

Offline Cryptick1

Hi,
Our team has been more active on Telegram than here.

We showed the plan to Xeroc and some other proxies two weeks ago, one of the things they mentioned is they wanted to public discussion and support of the plan. We posted it Telegram and advertised it daily in all the top Telegram channels. There was some good discussion, and appreciate people thoughts. Lots of people have opinions, and have incorporated several of them.

Apologies for not getting in here sooner, it took several days before I realized I needed to request a manual approval, so it was posted here shortly before being released.

Overall, I think there has been a positive response to the plan. We got 25% of the votes needed in the first day so that is exciting.

Cryptick

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I, too, share @clockwork's concerns.
Even though they contacted me prior to posting the proposal, i don't not see any discussion on the forums.
Telegram hardly fits to discuss international matters properly - not just due to time differences.

I have previously expressed my hesitations to approve such a worker in Telegram and would like to repeat some
of my throughts here:

* The worker is too massive and that it promises to cover too many different aspects including markting, developemnt, bounties, research and even *misc*. That way, the voters are given no choice but to either give a go or no go to the entire thing. From the history of BitShares, we've learned that voters prefer to keep control of expenses. The advise I gave was to split that one massive worker into multiple smaller ones, ideally one being covered after the other.
* I highly doubt that it takes 150k to develop a decent mobile wallet - also considering that others have already build some (for free) - having a mobile wallet is also a potentially profitable business case in it self considering branding and fees
* Given the many individual aspects you want to cover with that worker, I am surprised you did not also include "legal" into it. Ultimately, you want to embrace the mobile wallet as a platform for tokenizing everything. Some legal clarity and precaution should be part of it!
* (The 100k BTS for cabinet members are missing in the cost overview)

If you allow me to repeat my recommendations:
* split the worker up into multiple subsequent workers
* focus on a delivery for each milestone

That said, I am totally willing to vote for a worker that develops proper software for BitShares (including a mobile wallet), but I strongly believe that "marketing" should be kept separate.

Offline clockwork

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: clockwork
Sounds like a good idea.

Thanks Abit for sharing your thoughts on this WP. I hope that other proxies & committee members follow your lead to come forward and express their support or concerns publicly about this initiative.

That is something that should have been requested and started PRIOR to launching the worker proposal on-chain so you could tweak it before putting it up for voting. (and no, a few hours, at least as far as the forum post is concerned does not constitute "PRIOR")

Prior evaluation happened, but mostly in their telegram. I voiced mine there, if anyone cares I happily repeat them.

Yeah I know, already voiced my concerns to Kevin with using Telegram for that kind of evaluation. Especially when discussing a worker worth in excess of 9 million BTS.

Personally I didn't see it till the forum post. There was 1 mention and link of the Worker's telegram group in "BitShares DEX" telegram on July 11th, but I was away last week. Even so, I expected a public discussion (even in telegram) rather than a link to yet another telegram group.

I will still be voicing some concerns here once I get the chance but been quite busy catching up with things. I DO support the worker as a concept but do have some issues with its formulation , finances and , as explained above, its launch process :)

Offline sschiessl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: sschiessl
Sounds like a good idea.

Thanks Abit for sharing your thoughts on this WP. I hope that other proxies & committee members follow your lead to come forward and express their support or concerns publicly about this initiative.

That is something that should have been requested and started PRIOR to launching the worker proposal on-chain so you could tweak it before putting it up for voting. (and no, a few hours, at least as far as the forum post is concerned does not constitute "PRIOR")

Prior evaluation happened, but mostly in their telegram. I voiced mine there, if anyone cares I happily repeat them.

Offline clockwork

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: clockwork
Sounds like a good idea.

Offline kimchi-king

Sounds like a good idea.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline Cryptick1

From the team behind the DexBot, I would like to introduce the new Android Custom Token Wallet Worker Proposal.

We propose on taking Bitshares strengths of User Friendly Account Names, Three Second Block Times, Easy Coin Creation (UIA’s) and Smart Coins from computers to mobile phones around the world. Our proposal has an extensive, comprehensive strategy to follow that includes marketing, management, programing and a community engagement contest.

We plan to have a $150,000 prize Contest to find the Best Mobile Creative Coin Uses and then developing the best three ideas into a customized mobile BitShares Wallet. A large contest prize will bring publicity, people, ideas, ideas, solutions, and mobile use. These ideas will be developed into a customizable app and we will partner with the winners to implement them.

The contest is not just about giving away money. It the course of entering the contest we want to contestants to effectively complete a business plan showing how they want to implement the creative coin use. These contestants get access to a world class development team while BitShares gets to create a community of creative problem solvers that shows a how BitShares can solve a host of industry problems. We anticipate spreading the money widely, (20+ prizes) as a type of seed capital to develop new uses. The custom wallet capabilities will work with all UIA assets, allowing every coin the unique abilities we are planning to develop. Initially, we expect use cases of frequent shopper points, frequent flier miles, or a University lunch program but as each organization realizes the potential, they will bring their customers to BitShares. These Custom UIA token wallets will open the door to other BitShares uses.

We believe this is a first incremental step towards numerous mobile wallets. We believe BTS will only reach its full potential when it is able to be used by people on the go, and is in reach of people who do not own computers. Our apps will also be able to use BTS native smart coins, in a retail situation and developing world situations.

While Bitshares is primarily seen as an exchange today, it has the potential to be so much more. By investing today, in unique mobile solutions, BitShares reduces the chances of being left behind in the fast changing crypto space.

The official Worker Proposal is posted here. (6 pages)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AiSiVCfnLzw9cT34cWNDcMQBri_toyjtZHXqEWFdKak/edit?usp=sharing

The Extensive Business Plan (40+ pages)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wR5N9pGgRwxzSY0jBfDaA1AxiGQgruNPNJgDxbThBMw/edit?usp=sharing

The Telegram Channel (Main Discussion Communication Channel)
https://t.me/BTSAndroidWorker

Slide Show Summary (18+ slides)
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1rGXT90M-rgeBAsa_klrUjEIpXIhW6fiA03R6TfnnVJ0/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you for your support of the Android Custom Token Wallet.

Cryptick