Author Topic: [BSIP42] Consider derailing feed price  (Read 11411 times)

Offline R

• View Profile
The Hz ABA oscillates 14% which produces predictable peak/trough phases - the effect of these peak/troughs on the market activity/behaviour could be observed for the relevant price feed premium effect you're talking about.

Initially the amplitude was set to 50%, reduced to 33% then finally set to 14% due to concerns of undesirable volatility/velocity, however there's been low market activity thus far - 14% may not be enough. There's been times where I've shorted the peak of Hz, only for BTS to change 30% the next day wiping out my upcoming benefits of shorting Hz (28% debt reduction), perhaps instead it'd be more attractive to account for the 30d BTS:USD (or BTS:CNY in your case) price volatility (via an ES query) to create a varying amplitude which may be more attractive (however I don't think you'd want a -+50% oscillation, right?)..

Would you consider applying a small oscillation to the price feed of the MPA in question? You could then create a second identical MPA with a 180' phase offset to mirror the oscillation of the primary MPA (or even 3 with 120' phase offset from one another).

If you're talking about MSSR & MCR values set in price feeds, then I've always just copied what the committee have configured & I'm unsure of the benefits/drawbacks of changing these values - it probably should be configured by the asset owner instead of the price feed publishers though, no? Plus these fields need better explanations om the docs like scenarios where it'd be configured high or low & effects that'd have on the MPA's operation.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 11:49:18 am by Customminer »

Offline Bangzi

• View Profile
    • Steemit: Bangzi
  • BitShares: bangzi
When Smart coins are running with Premium:
I believe adjustment up to +5% from median of witnesses' price feed is acceptable. However if adjust the price over 10%, community may consider it as bad witness.

When Smart coins are running with a Discount:
Change it back 0% rather than -1% -5%

Bitshares DEX - Over 1000 Coins, Buy, Sell, Transfer & List Any Coins |Free Signup Today: https://wallet.bitshares.org/?r=bangzi

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
We THOUGHT that feeding accurate price for BTS/FIAT will bring stable pegged smart coins. However, market told us that we were wrong. In a downtrend, smart coins are always running with a premium; in a uptrend, smart coins are tend to run with a discount. See this chart: https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitusd/

Without a tight peg, the smart coins are useless -- we won't get mass adoption. Why do we keep the broken rules unchanged?

Apparently we can adjust the input data. We SHOULD adjust the input. When smart coins are running with a premium, we can feed higher BTS price to encourage more shorting and more supply, to reduce the premium. When running with a discount, we feed lower BTS price.

How much offset should we apply to the price so that we can achieve a tight peg? I don't know the exact value. It depends. However, without trying we'll never know.

Please discuss, and act.

BSIP doc: https://github.com/bitshares/bsips/blob/master/bsip-0042.md

Poll workers:

1.14.118 Poll - BSIP42 - Adjust price feed dynamically

1.14.119 Poll - BSIP42 - NO adjustment to price feed
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 10:40:58 pm by abit »
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit