Author Topic: [Worker Proposal] BitShares Global Infrastructure by APAsia.tech & Collaborators  (Read 10235 times)

Offline Digital Lucifer

• BitShares Maximalist & Venture Architect
    • View Profile
    • BitShares
  • BitShares: dls.cipher
  • GitHub: dls-cipher
Excellent work so far.

Additional ES nodes (in US or China) would be great for the community. Will definately be voting for the replacement worker

Many thanks! Goal for ES is to make collaboration with people that already own/run ES and wrap it under this worker. My knowledge on Kibana/ES is slim2none, but with the expertise of others, we can mix our efforts to enable more for the clients/ecosystem, and in the meantime cut the costs of same individuals who are currently running ES nodes. In that manner, I would be available for regular management of the nodes (reboot, start, stop, inspect log, manage), while others would be free just to use data visualization and develop it to be better.

Anyway, to create less confusion, will create new thread for this discussion. How I believe, Ryan R. Fox, Alfredo Garcia and yourself are running ES nodes atm, US and EU.

+++

Thank you! We can make together BitShares to be greater than ever with mixed/combined efforts and support, I'm 100% sure.

Chee®s!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:01:48 am by Digital Lucifer »
Milos (DL) Preocanin
Owner and manager of bitshares.org
Move Institute, Non-profit organization
RN: 2098555000
Murska Sobota, Slovenia.

Offline clockwork

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: clockwork
Excellent work so far.

Additional ES nodes (in US or China) would be great for the community. Will definately be voting for the replacement worker

Offline Digital Lucifer

• View Profile
    • BitShares
Dear BitShares,

It's been amazing year since we've placed our first node around the ecosystem, and its been 4 months ever since Flash Infrastructure Worker was approved.

- Currently there is 24 operational nodes, submitted to Github and available for check at https://status.apasia.tech

- Overall uptime, with all what happened recently is still over 90% (Worker intent and warranty was 80%)

- When we first time introduced worker, 26 nodes at the time were having a cost of $3,380.00. Over the past 4 months we reduced the monthly costs to roughly $1,700.00 with 24 provisioned and operational nodes.

- Currently as Master node for sync of all others we are using status200.bitshares.apasia.tech. Node is offline every Sunday UTC 00:00 AM till 01:30 AM for process of backing up and packing for download/distribution.

- Some of the nodes are having very high traffic (3-5TB a month), while most of them usually spend 0.5 TB - 2 TB.

- Scripts used for backing up and provisioning to other nodes is available at my repo on Github

- Detailed accounting, invoices and reporting is available at Escrow reporting on BBF website

Roadmap for remaining of this worker: Adding ES nodes to the worker + Dedicated server in Thailand + addition of Testnet node in Asia and new Mainnet node in Slovenia.

I personally hope you've been enjoying good connectivity and availability with this worker.
If we decide to extend/renew the worker, for the next run we would offer 12 months worker and wrap all nodes under the *.bitshares.org sub-domain.
Reminder: This is "no management fee" worker. It's done for the better, more stable and highly available BitShares!

Chee®s

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 04:45:39 pm by Digital Lucifer »
Milos (DL) Preocanin
Murska Sobota, Slovenia.

Offline Digital Lucifer

• View Profile
    • BitShares
Infrastructure update 11.09.2018

- Nodes has been added to wallet.bitshares.org (by pull request on github in develop branch)

check compare https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-ui/compare/develop...dls-cipher:patch-1?diff=split

Pull request is here: https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-ui/pull/1844

- Currently there is 21 provisioned node. Here is the full list:

1. status200.bitshares.apasia.tech - OK - Premium SSL
2. new-york.bitshares.apasia.tech - OK - Premium SSL
3. australia.bitshares.apasia.tech - OK - Premium SSL
4. dallas.bitshares.apasia.tech - OK - Premium SSL
5. chicago.bitshares.apasia.tech - OK - Premium SSL
6. atlanta.bitshares.apasia.tech - OK - Premium SSL
7. us-la.bitshares.apasia.tech - OK - Premium SSL
8. japan.bitshares.apasia.tech - OK - Premium SSL
9. france.bitshares.apasia.tech - OK - Premium SSL
10. england.bitshares.apasia.tech - OK - Premium SSL
11. holland.bitshares.apasia.tech - OK - Premium SSL
12. miami.bitshares.apasia.tech - OK - Premium SSL
13. valley.bitshares.apasia.tech - OK - Premium SSL
14. seattle.bitshares.apasia.tech - OK - Premium SSL
15. bitshares.nu - OK - Premium SSL
17. api.open-asset.tech - OK - SSL to be deployed
18. canada6.daostreet.com - OK - Premium SSL
19. paris7.daostreet.com - OK - Premium SSL - DNS Propagating
20. frankfurt8.daostreet.com - OK - Premium SSL
21. testnet.bitshares.apasia.tech - OK - Premium SSL

LEGEND:
GREEN - 100% operational
ORANGE - up to 24 hours issue
RED - up to 72 hours issue

- Structure

Currently status200 is biggest node with largest bandwidth included in the package. We are using that node with automatic backup script to stop one time a week, provide fresh backup of 'witness_node' software with fully synced blockchain and using simple .sh scripts are provisioning that node to all others.

Scripts can be inspected here https://github.com/dls-cipher/pre-compiled-witness_node
(its pretty lame and dirty bash scripting with plans to be polished, even more interactive as setup in shell)

Status can be checked for currently running nodes within our website https://status.apasia.tech

There is more than 21 listed on status page, since we are adding them as we provision them, to keep better track of hours towards invoicing.

All trackers are reseted and starting from today.

- Overview

1. We had to turn OFF most of the daostreet nodes in order to cut cost with AWS of 1800-2000$ a month for just 9 VPS instances.
2. For any questions please reply here or find me in telegram @murda_ra

- Escrow partner is invoiced for 1-time setup (reimbursement fees), while on-going invoices (cost of the nodes) will be delivered by 20. September.

NOTICE: If dallas/testnet node shows strange behavior please report it asap. Those 2 are sitting on one instance currently running multi websocket with multi-domain nginx configuration.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 03:19:31 pm by Digital Lucifer »
Milos (DL) Preocanin
Murska Sobota, Slovenia.

Offline roelandp

• Witness, dad, kitesurfer, event organiser
    • View Profile
    • RoelandP.nl
  • BitShares: roelandp
  • GitHub: roelandp

Offline Digital Lucifer

• View Profile
    • BitShares
voted

Many thanks Fav!

Fact is that Fav's vote was the one making Worker having more than enough votes to start tomorrow, I would like to appreciate time and trust you've shown us and announce that we are starting today (even WP starts tomorrow) with Node upgrade/management and will start adding them to the wallet, one at the time how we get it fully prepared for Public API use.

Many thanks to everyone one more time!
Milos (DL) Preocanin
Murska Sobota, Slovenia.

Offline Digital Lucifer

• View Profile
    • BitShares
Hi everyone, and thanks for such appreciation and kind words you welcomed us with.

Proposed worker for infrastructure is up on the chain and can be voted on. Please express your feelings, and consider giving your vote.

ID: 1.14.115
Escrow Listing: https://www.bitshares.foundation/workers/2018-08-flash-global-infrastructure

Many thanks.
Milos (DL) Preocanin
Murska Sobota, Slovenia.

Offline JohnR

• Committee member
    • View Profile
I'm glad to see all the community engagement regarding this project.  Clearly there are a lot of hardworking and intelligent people on this platform and it's starting to show with the new blood coming to worker proposals.  I agree we do have a great opportunity here to create a positive feedback loop.  Valuable and productive workers --> network expansion to greater audience --> fine tuning fee structure and earning more for community treasury --> even more productive workers.

I look forward to seeing this particular proposal live on chain and supported.  Not to mention Digital Lucifer getting the recognition and validation for all of his hard work.

Offline kimchi-king

First off, I would like to thank APAsia.tech, DL, and DAOStreet for everything they have done and are doing for the BitShares community. These guys are top-notch supporters and deserve equal support from the BitShares community.

I've been looking forward to this WP for quite some time and know this will be put to great use. As we can see above, DL is a dedicated professional with extensive networking knowledge which shouldn't be lost due to lack of funding. We have an extensive war chest and it would be a shame if his efforts are destroyed.

I will be voting for this once it goes live.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I very much appreciate the time and resources people put behind improving the distribution and decentralization of the BitShares network, in particular when it comes to APIs.

+5% for this worker!

Offline Digital Lucifer

• View Profile
    • BitShares
Just to clarify...Asia is my API node (seoul)...my ES node is in Finland.

Would be willing to relocate it if I find appropriate host in Asia (or anywhere) if needed.

Thanks, and sorry, my bad, from conversations we had I got wrong assumption it's in Asia, actually never asked you for actual location. Well if it comes to the point where that bare physical server is a go + result in utilizing requirements of ES in Thailand it would be solution - re Asia. Then it would have more sense to relocate your ES from Finland to somewhere in USA :)

Just a suggestion, def needs more feedback from Abit, Alfredo, Fabian, Ryan and others.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 08:51:18 am by Digital Lucifer »
Milos (DL) Preocanin
Murska Sobota, Slovenia.

Offline clockwork

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: clockwork
- I've personally tried to use best of my networking knowledge and create a pattern on the globe to utilize maximum availability. We did first (and only) public node in Australia and Canada, covered from East to West Coast of USA (where last year was only Xeldal and broken Texas node - before movement of witnesses re bitcrab vote and requirement) and all i'm saying we really had careful picks not just random purchases. I intend to keep utilizing network and optimizing its costs.
- I would point out that ES node that we would be hosting through worker has only sense having home in USA and best ISP for it would be Privex.io - Alex (Clockwork - Witness) is hosting ES in Asia and Fabian (Xeroc - BBF) is hosting ES in Europe.

Thanks for original input and feedback and hope to read more from you on this. Very important topic indeed, since we got into the problem with finance from scalability issues.

Just to clarify...Asia is my API node (seoul)...my ES node is in Finland.

Would be willing to relocate it if I find appropriate host in Asia (or anywhere) if needed.

Offline Digital Lucifer

• View Profile
    • BitShares
i like the idea of having more infrastructure with official worldwide nodes as proposed.

a few points to consider:
- there is no node in south america. i understand blockchain usage in general is not so popular here as other continents, still i think a node in Brazil or Argentina can bring some value.
- will you consider on hosting 1 elasticsearch node ? i think that if the wallet start using the feature we might need 1 more official node available(there is already 1 up from the BBF infrastructure worker rest is community members aka @clockwork).

price looks reasonable and APAsia already have a reputation in the community, i think it will go throw.

pd: also no node in Africa where the usage is probably even less than South America. Node in Hong Kong ?

Aflredo,

1) Elasticsearch, as proven in the past few months with help from Alex and other participants, is something really needed for the infra and probably only scalable future of it. We didn't deployed in past 2 months any ES node, as explained came to financial limits where ES node is quite demanding (re costs/system specification). Currently status200 is full node in our list and its being used by DEXBot, which could be only setup as ES from our current list.

Another thing we discussed not long ago in Telegram, I would be deploying one physical server in Thailand with raid setup of 2x1TB or SSD higher iops (Samsung EVO series) with max ram i can fit in some of intel boxes i have and one dedicated IP for the purpose of outside testing and most important - proper introduction of ES to myself. I also do believe I said I would be willing to share ssh with you, Alex, Fabian or whoever is interested to gets the most of it.

Eventually even if above attempt fails, we can remove few nodes to get available funds for ES node through this proposal.

2) Geological and logical demand for Public API such as South America or Africa is obvious - yes. On our last Steem post re infrastructure we even deployed a map with BTS pins for current infra and missing parts. So, as per your request explained:

Hong Kong - BitShares has a lot of investors, 3rd party businesses and Witnesses around China/Hong Kong that can provide such API (already OL and one more are having HK in wallet) - they can and should handle it.

Africa - We had tries in Arusha, Cape Town and private hosting, and i do have real friend in Tanzania living for nearly 10 years. Africa hosts are slow, SSD is sometimes HDD, sometimes SSD but then it starts running slow, and system specifications are very limited per choice of size. We did investment and tests on various ISP's in Africa, for 2 consecutive months, and all of them failed to provide node that even can replay normal node (not full) within some normal eta of ~6 hours with up2date blockchain database locally downloaded. So big NO to Africa for now if we want to maintain stability and reputation when it comes to uptime and availability of the nodes listed in worker. Later today when i upload invoices, there can be also found those few attempts mentioned.

Community Member and Stake-holder who is also a trader of DEX - Trizle - was the reason why we started exploring Africa. In December that man suffered a lot only because no having available API and relying on localhost that sometimes fail to sync for hours.

S. America - Brazil (Sao Paolo) is only reasonable option. There is one host worth of trying for node that would cover requirements of max-ops 100 if that SSD is real, but cost is still - we can build ES on Privex for this price, and they still have decent ping to California and other souther parts of USA.

HostDime is having 4GB node with 80GB SSD for 150$ per month. My biggest concern is that is KVM VPS and probably SWAP are locked/limited and there will be not much use for it (as we had some fails in the past). We can in case that worker goes through replace one Paris from AWS with one Sao Paolo from HostDime and together with you and maybe Diogo Gomes, test the node privately is it worth of presenting it to public.

- I've personally tried to use best of my networking knowledge and create a pattern on the globe to utilize maximum availability. We did first (and only) public node in Australia and Canada, covered from East to West Coast of USA (where last year was only Xeldal and broken Texas node - before movement of witnesses re bitcrab vote and requirement) and all i'm saying we really had careful picks not just random purchases. I intend to keep utilizing network and optimizing its costs.
- I would point out that ES node that we would be hosting through worker has only sense having home in USA and best ISP for it would be Privex.io - Alex (Clockwork - Witness) is hosting ES in Asia and Fabian (Xeroc - BBF) is hosting ES in Europe.

Thanks for original input and feedback and hope to read more from you on this. Very important topic indeed, since we got into the problem with finance from scalability issues.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 04:42:10 am by Digital Lucifer »
Milos (DL) Preocanin
Murska Sobota, Slovenia.