Author Topic: Which witnesses do not doing well in CNY price feeding?  (Read 15132 times)

Offline lin5464

• View Profile
  • BitShares: lin5464
Every time people in communities outside China talk about the premium of bitcny, they seem to have no idea about the premium at all. I think this should be because they have never tried to buy BTS with direct RMB. They simply cannot understand what the Chinese community has been complaining about.

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcrab
  • GitHub: bitcrab
If I were a trader and saw that margin calls happen regularly, I would place my sell orders 2% above the price at which the least collateralized short position is margin called, for an instant 2% profit. If I wanted to buy CNY on the DEX I would place my order 2% above that price, because otherwise I have no chance of getting it filled.

Thus, margin calls and feed price and MSSR all interact with each other. The DEX price is driven by margin calls, which are in turn driven by the feed price and MSSR.

If you reduce the MSSR to 1% the premium will also go down to 1%. Does changing MSSR change the "fair" price of bitCNY? I think not, but according to your logic the fair price would then be 1% higher than it is now, not 2%.

On an external exchange you don't have that effect, because the external exchange is not influenced by margin calls in the way that the DEX is. The result is that the external trade price is much more natural than the DEX price, and so can more reasonably be called a "fair" price.

premium is not a fixed value, 1.8% is the value in these 2 days, 4 days before, the premium is about 0.5%. you can only get this value in the market.

MSSR has impact on premium but it does not determine the premium.
Email:bitcrab@qq.com

Offline binggo

• 世间太多瘪犊子
    • View Profile
The result is that the external trade price is much more natural than the DEX price, and so can more reasonably be called a "fair" price.

So if the witness can get the "fair" price from the CEX? half of the witness give the lower feed price than the real price, the witnees think they give the "fair" price, can they prove it?

The fact is not, so what we are taking about? now the feed price lower more 2% than the "fair" price, is it fair for the margin call? make the lower feed price is very dangerous for the Market Pegged Assets, harming the balance.

now the "fair" price is 0.4380, what are they doing? just give a BTC price?!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 12:17:13 am by binggo »

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
If I were a trader and saw that margin calls happen regularly, I would place my sell orders 2% above the price at which the least collateralized short position is margin called, for an instant 2% profit. If I wanted to buy CNY on the DEX I would place my order 2% above that price, because otherwise I have no chance of getting it filled.

Thus, margin calls and feed price and MSSR all interact with each other. The DEX price is driven by margin calls, which are in turn driven by the feed price and MSSR.

If you reduce the MSSR to 1% the premium will also go down to 1%. Does changing MSSR change the "fair" price of bitCNY? I think not, but according to your logic the fair price would then be 1% higher than it is now, not 2%.

On an external exchange you don't have that effect, because the external exchange is not influenced by margin calls in the way that the DEX is. The result is that the external trade price is much more natural than the DEX price, and so can more reasonably be called a "fair" price.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
I don't care what cause the premium, the fact is the premium is there.

You can't repair it if you don't find out why it's broken.

And IMO it is quite obvious why it's broken: https://wallet.bitshares.org/#/asset/CNY lists over 200 short positions with a CR of less than 1.8. Whenever BTS goes down a tiny bit in relation to CNY, all of these get margin called, which eats all orders up to MSSR from the market.

Also, almost all of them have set a target CR of 1.75, so it's clear that these short positions are *deliberately* kept at such a low collateralization.

Fiddling with the feed price is not going to change any of this. Effectively you are trying to re-apply BSIP-42, with the same reasoning, the same justification and probably also the same outcome.

If they can't find the “fair” feed price, they should be blamed as they accepted the work.

Like I said, in the presence of skewed external markets there is no such thing as *the correct price*. What you call fair may be unfair on others.

I feel you misunderstood what I mean, I do not want to "repair" the premium here, I just want the feed price reflect the right price.

it's quite easy to know the "right" price, at least when I am sure that bitCNY has premium and your feed price is far lower than DEX price definitely you are wrong.

at least we need to ensure that the feed price do not conflict with DEX price.

orders are filled every minutes, some margin call orders does not change the fact.

Offline pc

• View Profile

You can't repair it if you don't find out why it's broken.

And IMO it is quite obvious why it's broken: https://wallet.bitshares.org/#/asset/CNY lists over 200 short positions with a CR of less than 1.8. Whenever BTS goes down a tiny bit in relation to CNY, all of these get margin called, which eats all orders up to MSSR from the market.

Also, almost all of them have set a target CR of 1.75, so it's clear that these short positions are *deliberately* kept at such a low collateralization.

Fiddling with the feed price is not going to change any of this. Effectively you are trying to re-apply BSIP-42, with the same reasoning, the same justification and probably also the same outcome.

If they can't find the “fair” feed price, they should be blamed as they accepted the work.

Like I said, in the presence of skewed external markets there is no such thing as *the correct price*. What you call fair may be unfair on others.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline binggo

• 世间太多瘪犊子
    • View Profile
Blaming this on the witnesses is short-sighted and unfair IMO.
I agree with @pc

The feed price is the foundation of Market Pegged Assets, a “fair” feed price is important.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I agree with @pc

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
The reason for the premium is that (once again) shorters are deliberately keeping their positions in margin call territory, which means all orders below MSSR get eaten up by margin calls. Using the DEX price as the feed in this situation would be completely wrong, because the margin calls *define* the DEX price in terms of feed price and MSSR. There is your feedback loop.

feed price + MSSR does not define the DEX price, we have seen a lot that there is no determination relationship between these. especially for bitCNY, which has a good depth that now margin call orders will be eaten instantly while they appear.

feed price is one key part of the whole rules, if feed price does not reflect the real market price, the whole rule sets will not work well.

feed price is serving DEX trading, DEX trading has enough big real volume, it's not acceptable that the feed price conflict with DEX price.

CEX price always involve many uncertain factors, naked short selling, faked volume, USDT premium...we need to be very careful while calculate feed price from CEX price.

Offline pc

• View Profile
The reason for the premium is that (once again) shorters are deliberately keeping their positions in margin call territory, which means all orders below MSSR get eaten up by margin calls. Using the DEX price as the feed in this situation would be completely wrong, because the margin calls *define* the DEX price in terms of feed price and MSSR. There is your feedback loop.

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
unvoted clockwork,  blckchnd,  delegate-1.lafona.

cannot bear this, bitCNY has a 1.8% premium at this moment, but the DEX price is always higher than the feed price!

Offline binggo

• 世间太多瘪犊子
    • View Profile
0.399 ::)?

USD -> BTS? where can buy bts with USD?

BTS ->BTC -> USD ->CNY? is this some of witness feed price?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if can't make a true fiat price of BTS, please don't make the bitasset,

Now the feed price just become the fake price, i can't use the feed price to buy 1 bts from the CEX.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 12:02:39 pm by binggo »

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
Here...take your pick....

I'm getting tired of this.

We can't simply publish high prices because it suits some people.

same goes for low prices.

that's why I suggest to feed price based on DEX price and bitCNY premium/discount.

who know where there is an CEX has a price of 0.399? if there is, just arbitrage between it and DEX.

and I greatly doubt that your calculation does not considered the premium of USDT, recently, 1USDT=6.92CNY but the official USD/CNY rate is about 6.71.

Offline clockwork

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: clockwork

that's why I suggest to feed price based on DEX price and bitCNY premium/discount.

who know where there is an CEX has a price of 0.399? if there is, just arbitrage between it and DEX.

i believe that's coinegg IIRC

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile