Author Topic: malleability  (Read 1700 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I think BTCe did best: 102 USD/BTC :)

Can someone explain how/if Transaction Malleability affects Bitshares PTS and X?

https://www.mtgox.com/press_release_20140210.html

It could effect BitShares PTS, but not BitShares X as I use an entirely different code base that doesn't have this particular issue.

BTW, it could be an additional marketing point for Bitshares X.

No, honestly concern over transaction malleability is an indicator of weak knowledge of how bitcoin really works. Nobody worth taking seriously thinks it's an issue, it's been on the sidelines for over 2 years for a reason.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline barwizi

• Noirbits, NoirShares, NoirEx.....lol, noir anyone?
    • View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org
Mtgox uses a proprietary version of the code with modifications that suit their needs, however due to shoddy workmanship and failure to update their client to be line with current standards, there is no malleability issue strictly speaking.

In realizing their problem they decided to profit off the issue by falsely announcing a bug in the code...the bug is theirs, not the standard code. Their public announcement was a stunt which has put them in disrepute by those who have an understanding of what happened. Also you'll find that they fail to mention how much $$$ they made by causing market panic and huge price shifts. This is one of the reasons many developers are actively pursuing decentralized exchange solutions, to avoid market manipulation on such a scale. If BTC-E was to have "problems" the market traders would panic and it would result in only profits for the exchanges as they profit not really from price but from volumes.

Perhaps someone else can weigh in.

i'll read the article but i doubt there is much to their unfounded announcement.
--Bar--  PiNEJGUv4AZVZkLuF6hV4xwbYTRp5etWWJ

The magical land of crypto, no freebies people.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
What is your assessment on the recent malleability issues?
http://blog.bitbargain.com/post/76337403346/bitcoin-malleability-issue

And what exectly is the reason why bitshares with TaPOS would not have these issues?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:41:45 am by delulo »