Author Topic: Decentralized encrypted medical records  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Talos

• View Profile
One suggestion to add to this is with the potential commissioning and provision of medical services, to help cut out administration and any intermediate services. For example, in Radiology, the doctor could bid for services and if successful at 'auction' could then use their DAC viewer to upload and access decrypted MRI scan images. Quality control could be enhanced with feedback reporting systems, and with an automatic "second opinion" report provided by another doctor in a percentage of cases to monitor inter-rater reliability. Inter-rater reliability might be less biased as a feedback measure here. Initially, such a system could be used in training Radiologists, later pattern recognition systems could evolve to speed up processing and handling of many reports.

Offline bytemaster

Greetings all,

Having read the latest update of the newsletter and Dan's challenge to come up with new ideas for DAC's perhaps some could help me chew on this.
I have been a clinician in the field of radiation oncology for the past 19 years. With all the fuss about the new healthcare law there are some genuine concerns I think could be addressed through a DAC. One of the main drawbacks emphasized even in the main stream media is the centralization of sensitive data, primarily medical records and their vulnerability to hackers.
Could a decentralized encrypted system be advanced that would solve these problems?
This idea could be pitched to the government exchanges or private groups who would have an interest in accomplishing this.
I think with the rollout we just witnessed the folks running things have not a clue that this could be done.
I ask you good people, could this be done?

It is possible to have files encrypted and stored in a decentralized manner, the challenge is access control.   To solve this users would have to grant specific doctors access to the encrypted files (by encrypting them to their key).  Doctors could then request access (like a friend request) and each access would have to be approved by the individual.

This all works fine until an authorized doctor makes an unauthorized copy at which point the cat is out of the bag.  This is much better than a hacker getting everything though.

The problem is that such a system would require mass adoption and isn't something that easily grows organically with our current medical system.   
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline TsonicTsunami

• View Profile
Greetings all,

Having read the latest update of the newsletter and Dan's challenge to come up with new ideas for DAC's perhaps some could help me chew on this.
I have been a clinician in the field of radiation oncology for the past 19 years. With all the fuss about the new healthcare law there are some genuine concerns I think could be addressed through a DAC. One of the main drawbacks emphasized even in the main stream media is the centralization of sensitive data, primarily medical records and their vulnerability to hackers.
Could a decentralized encrypted system be advanced that would solve these problems?
This idea could be pitched to the government exchanges or private groups who would have an interest in accomplishing this.
I think with the rollout we just witnessed the folks running things have not a clue that this could be done.
I ask you good people, could this be done?