Author Topic: Update on jurisdictional agility code progress  (Read 3229 times)

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
Is there a judgement that establishes the principle that a transaction is bound to the jurisdiction where it is *first* included in a block?
I always wondered about that argument - also, in an actual case, I supposed the witness will have to provide evidence that the machine that produced a block was in deed located
in that particular country, right?
As you probably know there's little established law around blockchains per se. Mostly it's an application of existing rules. There are existing rules that cover when/where a transaction is considered to have taken place in an internet-based transaction, and for a blockchain, I think the most reasonable assumption is that it is when a transaction gets included into a block. I'm sure someone could also try to make an argument for the block when the transaction becomes irreversible, but for many blockchains irreversibility doesn't even really exist as a concept, so I think the block where it gets included is a much more logical choice.

Last but not least, I also think that the block producers should be able to whitelist/blacklist contracts that they want to (are allowed) to execute. Just imagine a block producer supporting
the sale of securities or a smart contract for assassination, drugs, or other weird stuff. If I was running a block producer on a jurisdictional agile blockchain, I would expect to have means
to protect my block producer against liabilities that come from a smart contract, right? Are there any plans to add that feature?
I don't see that there's any real risk that a block producer will be liable for including a valid transaction into a block. In the normal course of block production, a block producer isn't going to have any special knowledge about the legality of the transactions he is including in a block, and trying to change this would be too burdensome on block producers.

Now, if it was some "special purpose" blockchain, where it was clear the purpose of the blockchain or some operation on the blockchain was specifically designed to handle payments for assassinations, or something similar, then it could be a different story. But I doubt anyone is going to be eager to develop such a blockchain or operate as one of it's block producers.
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Is there a judgement that establishes the principle that a transaction is bound to the jurisdiction where it is *first* included in a block?
I always wondered about that argument - also, in an actual case, I supposed the witness will have to provide evidence that the machine that produced a block was in deed located
in that particular country, right?

Last but not least, I also think that the block producers should be able to whitelist/blacklist contracts that they want to (are allowed) to execute. Just imagine a block producer supporting
the sale of securities or a smart contract for assassination, drugs, or other weird stuff. If I was running a block producer on a jurisdictional agile blockchain, I would expect to have means
to protect my block producer against liabilities that come from a smart contract, right? Are there any plans to add that feature?

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
BlockTrades is about 1-2 weeks away from completing the code to upgrade the BEOS blockchain to support jurisdictional agility. Here's a steem post with full details:

https://steemit.com/beos/@blocktrades/jurisdictional-agility-in-beos
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter