Author Topic: Branding/messaging suggestions (x-post from /r/bitshares)  (Read 1955 times)

Offline yellowecho

I don't think it'll be as confusing once Bitshares is released and the new website is up.. right now it's just confusing because a lot has happened since November and there are a lot of changes that're being implemented in parallel.. but it'll all come together very soon.
Example:

Bitshares BTS
Bitshares PTS
Bitshares AGS
Bitshares BTC
Bitshares GLD
Bitshares USD
Bitshares CNY
Bitshares DNS
Bitshares MSC

The current naming mechanism is great because it resembles the stock market which is quite similar to how Bitshares will function by trading shares.  I'm sure the software won't display "Bitshares" anywhere so really people will be trading by ticker symbol which is easy.

Also, I don't think Keyhotee should be named "Bit"-anything because it's a completely separate idea.  People won't be trading their KeyhoteeID like they'll be trading shares. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:56:28 pm by yellowecho »
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline rysgc

• View Profile
    • DACZine.com
You guys probably thought of this but an ugly short term solution is to simply call protoshares protobitshares and angelshares angelbitshares if this avoids the trademark issue.
+5% +5% especially for newcomers
DACZine.com - Receive all the latest DAC and BitShares community news straight to your inbox. Signup here or Submit news

Offline bytemaster

You guys probably thought of this but an ugly short term solution is to simply call protoshares protobitshares and angelshares angelbitshares if this avoids the trademark issue.

Actually... that idea had not crossed our minds, but I will run it by Brian.  Good idea.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
I heard of Invictus a while back and thought they were trying to do too much to be successful at any one thing. Recently I watched some discussions with Daniel Larimer about BitShares and I am becoming more and more convinced that he is on the right track.
The problem I see is that there is a serious branding and messaging problem with Invictus products. For example:

* protoShares (AKA bitShares PTS)
* bitShares AGS
* bitShares and bitShares X (one is an exchange/bank, the other stores equities for all Invictus DACs? Still confused about this)
* Keyhotee

Please do not take this the wrong way, but what the hell? Even worse than being non-descriptive and difficult, these names are way too similar for the separate and distinct functions they are supposed to convey. At the very least, IMO, the names need to be changed immediately if this project is expected to gain any mainstream traction. I would go even further and say that I don't think most of the early adopters understand what these products actually are. Here is just one list of suggested names, off the top of my head, though I am sure the community can do much better if we tried:

* ProtoShares -> BitFund (funds the whole operation)
* BitShares -> BitCorps (stores equity in multiple corporations/DACs)
* BitShares AGS -> BitCorps Angel Investor Fund (why call this a "share" if it is not tradable/liquid? For consistency I would just call this a fund).
* BitShares X -> BitBank or BitExchange
* Keyhotee -> BitIdentity or BitID

I'd love to hear your thoughts, as well as clarification on the issues I am not understanding correctly. Thanks.

I have to agree these names make a lot more sense and are easier to market. Why not just use the Bit (without the Shares) as the brand?

Microsoft "Windows" <-- Logical brand
Microsoft "Word" 2000 <-- Logical brand 200 edition
Microsoft "Windows" 95/2000 <-- Logical version of Logical brand
Microsoft "Windows Word X" (what?!)
Microsoft "Windows IE 10"? (huh?!)

But I'm not the one who made the decision to switch it around and whoever did make the decision probably has the metrics to determine if it's catching on fast or not.

My advice or suggestion is ditch the X and weird lettering and just give each chain a code name and a date. If Bitshares X is the code name then replace the X with the date the blockchain is mapped and born.

Bitshares (codename) 03-2014

Just as Android has a code name with every release and Ubuntu has a code name with every release. Go with code names and dates but keep a primary brand of "Bit" or "Bitshares".
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:24:11 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bytemaster

Our original names of ProtoShares (ProtoType for BitShares) and AngelShares were more descriptive... but after some trademark issues we had to back off.

BitShares => Decentralized Autonomous Company
BitShares ***  => Product
Keyhotee => Wallet

This ties everything together under our brand and avoids trademark issues.

AGS and PTS names are unfortunate... but Brian is actively working to simplify and clarify.  We want to make the minimal changes possible right now until we REALLY have it nailed.   For now everything can be thought of as code names rather than release names.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline alphaBar

• View Profile
I heard of Invictus a while back and thought they were trying to do too much to be successful at any one thing. Recently I watched some discussions with Daniel Larimer about BitShares and I am becoming more and more convinced that he is on the right track.
The problem I see is that there is a serious branding and messaging problem with Invictus products. For example:

* protoShares (AKA bitShares PTS)
* bitShares AGS
* bitShares and bitShares X (one is an exchange/bank, the other stores equities for all Invictus DACs? Still confused about this)
* Keyhotee

Please do not take this the wrong way, but what the hell? Even worse than being non-descriptive and difficult, these names are way too similar for the separate and distinct functions they are supposed to convey. At the very least, IMO, the names need to be changed immediately if this project is expected to gain any mainstream traction. I would go even further and say that I don't think most of the early adopters understand what these products actually are. Here is just one list of suggested names, off the top of my head, though I am sure the community can do much better if we tried:

* ProtoShares -> BitFund (funds the whole operation)
* BitShares -> BitCorps (stores equity in multiple corporations/DACs)
* BitShares AGS -> BitCorps Angel Investor Fund (why call this a "share" if it is not tradable/liquid? For consistency I would just call this a fund).
* BitShares X -> BitBank or BitExchange
* Keyhotee -> BitIdentity or BitID

I'd love to hear your thoughts, as well as clarification on the issues I am not understanding correctly. Thanks.