Author Topic: 10 PTS Bounty - AGS / PTS Graphic Explaining Snapshot Process  (Read 5061 times)

Offline emailtooaj

Great work on the chart!!
Below is a suggestion I did to the original that may help to look less cluttered?!
I like idea behind the bolts, but they take up to much real estate and maybe adding the "cameras" will make it easier/quicker to understand the chart flow.
I just used MS Paint to show my idea...

Sound Editor of Beyondbitcoin Hangouts. Listen to latest here - https://beyondbitcoin.org support the Hangouts! BTS Tri-Fold Brochure https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,15169.0.html
Tip BROWNIE.PTS to EMAILTOOAJ

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile
Gracias, danke, 谢谢, merci, mahalo, kia ora, obrigado!
Pei5BrnEUqcCuUdffNZmBPL3rg6duj3vnU

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile
I don't like the lightning. A critical feature of the original picture was that the allocation proportions were shown (might not be clear because it was a shitty picture). The lightning should be replaced with something that shows value transfer correctly, like have input/output arrow width be the right proportion or something. Also AGS/PTS bars shapes should represent their growth over time but that is less important.

Hmm, I get what you're saying, but I think the value of having a lightning bolt (or some other non-arrow symbol) is to show that it doesn't represent a diminishing of the originally held asset.  You just said "value transfer", but that's not really what it is.  It's the creation of new value, and the assignment of that value based on the existing state of something else.  The use of arrows would make it look like something is flowing OUT of PTS and AGS, but that's not what's happening.  AGS and PTS continue on, undiminished.  (Which, AFAIK, is one of the main points of this chart; to show people that their PTS and AGS will not disappear once BTSXT is launched.)

In any case, I worked on it for a while, I did not feel that I could make the arrows convey the information properly.  This is partially due to my limitations as a designer.  I think I know what you mean (you see charts in magazines and such that show money flows like this: http://aleklett.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/figure-2-8-the-global-energy-system-2010.jpg ) but sometimes even fancier.  I don't have the skills to do that and make it look good, and I believe there's probably some software better suited to that kind of chart than what I'm using here.

I think that the "50% PTS, 50% AGS" text clarifies the situation sufficiently (it's even pan-lingual); and even if I managed to get the arrows to all be sized proportionately, I think that it would still need to be explained somehow, since people see arrows and lines on a chart and don't necessarily assign meaning to their widths.  Plus, now that I've played around with it some, I really think that replacing the bolts with arrows will lead to mis-interpretation.

Any reply to this?  Any other feedback?  I don't really know how to do this bounty stuff.  After reading the "Bounty Rules - Read This First" it seems that this was somewhat of an ad hoc bounty.  Not particularly well defined.  It seemed to me that the priority was speed, not perfection.  And I will note that bytemaster has already posted one of these images in another thread.

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=3031.msg39366#msg39366

So... what's the status?  I finished the "cleaning up" portions I mentioned earlier, and the final image is posted below.  If these images meet the requirements of the bounty, I would like to get the PTS ASAP.  If these images do not meet the full requirements of the bounty, I will let someone else take over and pay me proportionally from their proceeds based on the portion of my work used.  If minor changes need to be made (text or simple layout changes) then I will make them.  However, any wholesale changes will need to be made by somebody else.  I do not feel that I could accurately represent the snapshot process by using arrows, but maybe somebody else could.

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile
I don't like the lightning. A critical feature of the original picture was that the allocation proportions were shown (might not be clear because it was a shitty picture). The lightning should be replaced with something that shows value transfer correctly, like have input/output arrow width be the right proportion or something. Also AGS/PTS bars shapes should represent their growth over time but that is less important.

Hmm, I get what you're saying, but I think the value of having a lightning bolt (or some other non-arrow symbol) is to show that it doesn't represent a diminishing of the originally held asset.  You just said "value transfer", but that's not really what it is.  It's the creation of new value, and the assignment of that value based on the existing state of something else.  The use of arrows would make it look like something is flowing OUT of PTS and AGS, but that's not what's happening.  AGS and PTS continue on, undiminished.  (Which, AFAIK, is one of the main points of this chart; to show people that their PTS and AGS will not disappear once BTSXT is launched.)

In any case, I worked on it for a while, I did not feel that I could make the arrows convey the information properly.  This is partially due to my limitations as a designer.  I think I know what you mean (you see charts in magazines and such that show money flows like this: http://aleklett.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/figure-2-8-the-global-energy-system-2010.jpg ) but sometimes even fancier.  I don't have the skills to do that and make it look good, and I believe there's probably some software better suited to that kind of chart than what I'm using here.

I think that the "50% PTS, 50% AGS" text clarifies the situation sufficiently (it's even pan-lingual); and even if I managed to get the arrows to all be sized proportionately, I think that it would still need to be explained somehow, since people see arrows and lines on a chart and don't necessarily assign meaning to their widths.  Plus, now that I've played around with it some, I really think that replacing the bolts with arrows will lead to mis-interpretation.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile
Ok, how's this?  It's getting kind of busy/gaudy, but I think that color-coding the lightning bolts will aid in understanding.  I also added a disclaimer just so people understand that the DACs shown, and the order of their creation, aren't necessarily set in stone.

I'm going to bed now, I will make any other needed changes tomorrow.  I can think of a few "clean up" changes already; the "Feb 28 Snapshot" isn't cleanly laid out, and I'll move the disclaimer to the bottom corner, and space out the the other text on the left side.... scoot the top timeline dates to the left.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:06:14 am by bitbadger »

Offline bytemaster

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile

Thank you very much, please post a PTS address.

Cool!  Again, I would be happy to make any necessary changes.

Don't refer to ProtoShares as this is not something we can use officially.    Have  XV snapshot from XI rather than X.   reorder the chains... so that the snapshot doesn't overlap... and replace future DAC with a visual representation of the following...

BitShares Me,  BitShares Bingo, BitShares Music,  BitShares Voice, BitShares Domains....

Ie... give people an idea that these are not empty unknowns...

Ok, how should I include ProtoShares in the graphic without referring to it?  Can I still call it PTS?  I think I've got the rest of your changes figured out, but I thought the point of the graphic was to show how PTS and AGS turn into BTS.

Offline bytemaster

Cool!  Again, I would be happy to make any necessary changes.

Don't refer to ProtoShares as this is not something we can use officially.    Have  XV snapshot from XI rather than X.   reorder the chains... so that the snapshot doesn't overlap... and replace future DAC with a visual representation of the following...

BitShares Me,  BitShares Bingo, BitShares Music,  BitShares Voice, BitShares Domains....

Ie... give people an idea that these are not empty unknowns...

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile

Cool!  Again, I would be happy to make any necessary changes.  Note, I made some further edits to the one above.  Use whichever version you like.

Offline bytemaster

Tarted it up a bit and changed some explanatory text.  Also embiggened.

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile
Tarted it up a bit and changed some explanatory text.  Also embiggened.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 08:15:45 am by bitbadger »

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile

I can refine this, change the text, change colors to match intended branding, get rid of the lightning bolts and replace with plain arrows, whatever.  Also produce hi-res, PDF version, SVG version, whatever.

Offline bytemaster

I3 needs to make a pretty version of this:

http://i.imgur.com/AliC4m0.png

blue/purple are PTS/AGS.

Green is BitShares X chains, with XT being the one that is initialized with ags/pts. Red is a later DAC like DomainShares

Take this image and make it pretty and even more clear.