Author Topic: Analysis of My Bitshares transaction blunder  (Read 2302 times)

Offline chigbolu

• View Profile
Sorry to hear of that expensive mistake. I do hope you can recover from this!

The UI allows to add "Contacts" or "Favorites". The Account Selector on first click should also populate those (just tested on develop, does not seem to work). Furthermore, contacts are highlighted in green. The issue is that people simply don't use that function. The UI would need to train or know by itself what the exchange accounts are (imho).
Yes I saw the contact option, I didn't know that was it's function, it works, now I can save my favorite wallets

Offline chigbolu

• View Profile

The UI allows to add "Contacts" or "Favorites". The Account Selector on first click should also populate those (just tested on develop, does not seem to work). Furthermore, contacts are highlighted in green. The issue is that people simply don't use that function. The UI would need to train or know by itself what the exchange accounts are (imho).
Noted I'll check it on the UI, and yes I will recover, it will only take time, plus a good samaritan has lent me some bitshares to continue my project

Offline Ammar Yousef (ioBanker)

Yesterday  at about 15:00 Nigerian time, I accidentally sent 15000BTS to a fake binance wallet  https://bts.ai/tx/d155375c023afafe01a892c5616a191effd02ed8 ;  binanace-bts-1 instead of binance-bts-1 the extra letter 'a' cost me to lose over half my life's worth...
Much of this cosmic comical error is attributed to my negligence and mental temprament which admittedly at the time of making this transaction was unstable (No right thinking person would make this mistake). However 10% of the blame falls on the bitshares UI I used to make the transfer. I say 10% because I still would have confirmed the transaction 9 out of 10 times due to the aforementioned conditions. The confirmation write up on the UI was too tiny to read and there was no clear way to know if I was sending to the wrong wallet unless with proper analysis.

That being said my Gross inability to perform a simple copy and paste operation was ultimately my undoing and no fault of anyone but myself... My advice to Bridge exchanges is to improve the send function of their UI by making the write up more legible and by adding an extra feature called favorite wallets, so that users that want to perform familiar transactions can easily do so without much scrutiny and mistakes.... Also a new option to make memo transactions compulsory should be added, this is to avoid sending BTS to external wallets without memo...

I sincerely apologise to everyone at Bitshares who have been supportive of my project and I promise to do better next time...
The project will now be on halt for now due to liquidity issues until my position improves...

Sorry for hearing it was a big loss to you; mistakes on Blockchain are expensive usually, please be-careful next time and review every single character you write before you submit your inputs at any blockchain.
Be part of the change and set bitshares-vision as your proxy!
Committee account: iobanker-core
Ammar Yousef - CEO @ ioBanker OÜ

Offline sschiessl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: sschiessl

Offline chigbolu

• View Profile
Yesterday  at about 15:00 Nigerian time, I accidentally sent 15000BTS to a fake binance wallet  https://bts.ai/tx/d155375c023afafe01a892c5616a191effd02ed8 ;  binanace-bts-1 instead of binance-bts-1 the extra letter 'a' cost me to lose over half my life's worth...
Much of this cosmic comical error is attributed to my negligence and mental temprament which admittedly at the time of making this transaction was unstable (No right thinking person would make this mistake). However 10% of the blame falls on the bitshares UI I used to make the transfer. I say 10% because I still would have confirmed the transaction 9 out of 10 times due to the aforementioned conditions. The confirmation write up on the UI was too tiny to read and there was no clear way to know if I was sending to the wrong wallet unless with proper analysis.

That being said my Gross inability to perform a simple copy and paste operation was ultimately my undoing and no fault of anyone but myself... My advice to Bridge exchanges is to improve the send function of their UI by making the write up more legible and by adding an extra feature called favorite wallets, so that users that want to perform familiar transactions can easily do so without much scrutiny and mistakes.... Also a new option to make memo transactions compulsory should be added, this is to avoid sending BTS to external wallets without memo...

I sincerely apologise to everyone at Bitshares who have been supportive of my project and I promise to do better next time...
The project will now be on halt for now due to liquidity issues until my position improves...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 03:43:14 pm by chigbolu »