Author Topic: On Marketing and Priorities  (Read 16012 times)

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
I'm writing this in my capacity as an AGS/PTS holder, not as an Invictus employee, but I like super3's idea to decentralize some of the spending for marketing. There's so much marketing that needs to be done, we could use more hands, and it's hard to hire fulltime people for this kind of work quickly.
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

Adam - Thank you for initiating this conversation.  I don't know about anyone else, but I've been a part of this movement (PTS / BitShares, et al.) thanks ONLY to be a listener of LTB, specifically episode 57.  Keep up the great work on LTB too, btw.  You have definitely stepped up your game; I'm one of your listeners that has gone back and heard every episode from the beginning and can verify content and quality have been on the rise.   

Seems like a whole lot of ideas from the community, and the bottleneck is communicating with Invictus. Why don't we allocate some of the war chest, just like 10-20 BTC to start, to the community and let the community decide what we want to do with it. We can develop and purchase our own ads, media, etc.

Really an experiment here, but I think its worth trying.

I love it...and your use of the term "we" makes me smile.  I will simply urge one thing, however.  Rome was not built in a day...and in my experience all strong communities form over time as passionate and resolute members trickle in and become part of the family.  So be stubborn and dare to believe you are a valuable member!

+5% 

The most effective movements start as organic, 'grassroots' initiatives. 

Again, Brian from Invictus - PUT US TO WORK!  How can we help?  We want to help!  Where can we post comments, upvote reddit posts, retweet hashtags, share Facebook posts, etc. etc. etc?!? This type of information isn't being captured and communicated to the forums in a way that we can help. 

I would propose generating a list of BitShares-related hashtags, pair tweets with #bitcoin, and utilize Twitter for the powerful media tool that it is.  Mainstream media is all over bitcoin right now like white on rice and I'm sure countless writers are spending hours scanning through bitcoin hashtags.  Let's design and create some strategic serendipity.  The timing is ripe for reinforcing the merits of a decentralized exchange in the wake of the Gox catastrophe.

3I - Let me know how I can help.

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
If you think about it, Invictus caused this problem by introducing Angelshares.   If they had just started with a bounty board where anyone could submit a bounty, other people who had mined or bought protoshares could donate them to the particular bounty, no responsibility for invictus and no conflict with them fulfilling bounties and getting paid since they're not the ones funding the bounties.

Angelshares sucked all the money people were willing to invest in the ecosystem and put it into a place where instead of all the investors controlling it individually based on their own wants, needs and perceptions, it was invictus that could only determine what wants and needs to fulfill as they can best determine from reading and interacting with the community. 

So instead of funding bounties and proposals being a decentralized process, it's insanely bottlenecked to the point where we're still waiting for a basic installation file for the PTS Armory Wallet more than a month after it was submitted and accepted as meeting the conditions for payment!   

The motto is decentralize everything, the community needs to step up and lead these initiatives - Propose actionable plans that Invictus can say "Yes, that's a great idea go do that" and when it's done award the funds they authorized, or ideally come up with a less centralized storage system so we don't wind up with our own little Empty Gox should the legal situation in Virginia get hairy.  Governments freeze funds first and ask questions later, and jail is real.
Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

Offline super3

• View Profile
This could start as a subreddit, might be good for qualifying votes etc.
Good idea. Solves the consensus problem. Proposals are made. Upvote if you agree and down vote if you disagree. Good proposals are officially voted on and the funds dispatched are from multisig.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline CalabiYau

Seems like a whole lot of ideas from the community, and the bottleneck is communicating with Invictus. Why don't we allocate some of the war chest, just like 10-20 BTC to start, to the community and let the community decide what we want to do with it. We can develop and purchase our own ads, media, etc.

Demand it from angel funding, put into a multi-signature address with a few people from this thread. I'm OK with this.

+5% 

Some BTC already reserved for such purpose

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
This could start as a subreddit, might be good for qualifying votes etc.
Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

Offline fuzzy

Creating a separate "hub" consisting of active community members will increase the complexity of decentralization. The community would self-organize around ideas for improvements, changes, work to be done, etc.

Precisely...and I believe with the release and refinement of Keyhotee, over time, we will grow to have many more tools that will improve our ability to do just this.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline fuzzy

I love it...and your use of the term "we" makes me smile.  I will simply urge one thing, however.  Rome was not built in a day...and in my experience all strong communities form over time as passionate and resolute members trickle in and become part of the family.  So be stubborn and dare to believe you are a valuable member!

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
I just don't want that B and the others feel pressured.

It's then more art, which is what I like.

I think this is a good point.

Why don't we allocate some of the war chest, just like 10-20 BTC to start, to the community and let the community decide what we want to do with it.

This would remove a lot of the pressure from Invictus. An allocation like that would suddenly turn the spotlight back on "we the community" to improve the situation and implement the changes we believe in, and I think that would be a good thing.

Creating a separate "hub" consisting of active community members will increase the complexity of decentralization. The community would self-organize around ideas for improvements, changes, work to be done, etc.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 04:18:06 pm by CLains »

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Demand it from angel funding, put into a multi-signature address with a few people from this thread. I'm OK with this.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline super3

• View Profile

Offline fuzzy

When people do things voluntarily it is not as efficient as slave work but they also don't burn out. It's then more art, which is what I like. I believe you know much more about marketing and stuff.

From my feeling, I3 does not want to be a company that plays the game like so many do it. Produce cheap, sell a lot. Thing breaks, buy again. I cannot handle pressure from outside, it makes my thinking and emotions go crazy. Give them some air to breathe and wonders will happen.

Like when I worked at the video store. I was always stoned and the boss fired me one day. He said that I would levitate through the company and working not fast enough. He was taking the pills for the stomach acid problems he created by himself. He wanted me to become like him and work like a maniac.

You know the feeling between an organic shop and a discounter. When the product and the environment is good for everyone, the people will come and then the discounter has to offer organic otherwise he will lose his business.

What I am attempting to do with our community is to bring in ANY kind of talent that YOU want to bring to the table.  This must be organic...and you must contribute by doing what you love, and sharing it.  Remember the new paradigm we are building is a NEW PARADIGM.  Think outside the box.  See beyond "profit" based in tokens and recognize that you are fundamental to bringing value to this. 

I want to do this because unlike some decentralized, hyped, and Goldman Sachs connected platforms, Invictus has up to this point proven themselves to actually care about their impact on the world as opposed to being the all-powerful chain that rules them all.  This feels real to me... and it is because the community has treated me like family from the very start.  But it is time to expand our family.

Bottom line, we cannot expect a Centralized company to perform well in this venture without our grass roots support.  Adam B Levine should understand this as well as anyone here...but he is by no means the only one qualified to enrich the community.  If the tech doesn't work, and the community is resilient...it will overcome and will solidify the Honey-Badger syndrome we have come to love about Bitcoin, and that will allow the tech to come back stronger and with fewer bugs.  Remember, we are moving BEYOND Bitcoin, and Invictus has yet to even give us a small subset of the tools they intend on providing us!

Sincerely looking forward to building a New World Order with you that is precisely the opposite of what the Syth have planned. 

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 02:23:02 pm by fuznuts »

38PTSWarrior

When people do things voluntarily it is not as efficient as slave work but they also don't burn out. It's then more art, which is what I like. I believe you know much more about marketing and stuff.

From my feeling, I3 does not want to be a company that plays the game like so many do it. Produce cheap, sell a lot. Thing breaks, buy again. I cannot handle pressure from outside, it makes my thinking and emotions go crazy. Give them some air to breathe and wonders will happen.

Like when I worked at the video store. I was always stoned and the boss fired me one day. He said that I would levitate through the company and working not fast enough. He was taking the pills for the stomach acid problems he created by himself. He wanted me to become like him and work like a maniac.

You know the feeling between an organic shop and a discounter. When the product and the environment is good for everyone, the people will come and then the discounter has to offer organic otherwise he will lose his business.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
At the moment nobody knows if bitsharesx will even work right? What if this whole thing crashes or gets hacked or something? I say stay low profile until things work and when it works, get "Drew Barrymore" for an ad on "Hulu"

:D I think this is an interesting argument, and I've been thinking about it a lot, but in the battle between "stay low" and "move first" I have a hard time seeing how "move first" can lose.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
At the moment nobody knows if bitsharesx will even work right? What if this whole thing crashes or gets hacked or something? I say stay low profile until things work and when it works, get "Drew Barrymore" for an ad on "Hulu"

BTS DNS is very easy to make once BTS X is launched and is a sure bet IMO
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.