Author Topic: [video] BitShares DNS  (Read 14115 times)

Offline Overthetop

It was to communicate "angelshare funding", I didn't mean to imply distribution. DNS will be 50/50 pts/ags.
That is great!  +5%
and how about the volume of DNS?  :D
个人微博账号: Overthetop_万里晴空
“块链创新与创业”交流群: 330378613

Offline CWEvans

• View Profile
i like the concept but I don't understand how this will be integrated in the existing DNS infrastructure. All existing ISP's would have to switch? Or is this a whole different sector?

Initially, you'll need to install a browser plugin that knows how to resolve the domain name.

Offline phoenix

• View Profile
I cant get my head arround the economics of domain auction proposed in the video. Why should anybody not actually winning the auction get half of profits? Why this is applicable only to the second highest bid? At least I see the following problem:

I can always use two different identities to make two subsequent highest bids: for example 1000 and 1001 immediately one after another. If 1001 wins I will get the domain for half of that price. If not somebody else will win it doing 1002 and 1003 effectively eliminating true second highest bidder.

In order to try this you need 2001 coins. Your first identity pays 1000 coins to the pool, then your second identity pays 1000.5 to the first identity, and 0.5 to the pool, and has to pay a transaction fee. Your net cost is 1000.5 coins plus transaction fees. If somebody beats your bid, you still get half the difference between your second bid and their first bid, so you do make a profit, even if you aren't the second to last bid
Protoshares: Pg5EhSZEXHFjdFUzpxJbm91UtA54iUuDvt
Bitmessage: BM-NBrGi2V3BZ8REnJM7FPxUjjkQp7V5D28

Offline CrazyCriple

• View Profile
i like the concept but I don't understand how this will be integrated in the existing DNS infrastructure. All existing ISP's would have to switch? Or is this a whole different sector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sipak

• View Profile
I cant get my head arround the economics of domain auction proposed in the video. Why should anybody not actually winning the auction get half of profits? Why this is applicable only to the second highest bid? At least I see the following problem:

I can always use two different identities to make two subsequent highest bids: for example 1000 and 1001 immediately one after another. If 1001 wins I will get the domain for half of that price. If not somebody else will win it doing 1002 and 1003 effectively eliminating true second highest bidder.

Intuitively I don't think this gives any good incentives. In auction we only want bidders who actually want to buy the domain, not profit seeking bidders-speculators, so shareholder could get more profit from true market auction:

If the highest bidder for "domain.bit" is willing to pay maximum 1000 because of his economic calculation and the market for this domain is dense, then the final price will be near this price, so we don't need to pay any bidder to speculate the price higher.

Do we have any real world example of proposed type of "sponsored" auction anyway?

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
no worries, let's just honestly compete over a long period of time

if we pick different TLDs we won't really interfere with each other and we can learn from each other
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline blackbeard

• View Profile
So browser (copamnies / organizations) are the ones that would have to accept one of those systems? Can they accept a few in parallel?

freespeechme.org  has a free plugin for firefox that handles .bit

I'm sure we could do the same for .dns

dotbit.me just released a one click chrome extension

Offline yellowecho

Okay - toast is the man.  This guy is 20, and he's got potential... (1) He's sharp, (2) He's a good speaker and has potential to become a really good speaker (3) He can develop software like a champ.  I3 could really grow with toast and vice versa, my two cents

+5% Toast FTW !
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline phoenix

• View Profile
Impressive, I like where the DAC industry is going!
Protoshares: Pg5EhSZEXHFjdFUzpxJbm91UtA54iUuDvt
Bitmessage: BM-NBrGi2V3BZ8REnJM7FPxUjjkQp7V5D28

Offline onceuponatime

So browser (copamnies / organizations) are the ones that would have to accept one of those systems? Can they accept a few in parallel?

freespeechme.org  has a free plugin for firefox that handles .bit

I'm sure we could do the same for .dns

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Who gets the 1,48€ I pay atm for a .dom domain? And where does godaddy (or any such company) get their right from to sell domains? Godaddy pays who?

A hierarchy of organizations with ICANN at the top (I think).

Browser extensions are 1-click install nowadays

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

And it is up to the brwoser to choose the ICANN register or any other (or even a few in parallel?)?

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Who gets the 1,48€ I pay atm for a .dom domain? And where does godaddy (or any such company) get their right from to sell domains? Godaddy pays who?

A hierarchy of organizations with ICANN at the top (I think).

Browser extensions are 1-click install nowadays

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
For it to be completely mainstream I think either the operating system or the browser needs to integrate with BitShares DNS by default.  Without this, our audience is limited to people who are comfortable installing browser extensions, which seriously should be almost everyone by now, but probably isn't.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile