Author Topic: BitShares Postman  (Read 1744 times)

Offline davidpbrown

Also, if someone can make it work in a sensible way, it could be everything bespoke, not just limited to one format.

Perhaps, even a dynamic location.. drone to my location for everyone deemed to not be a terrorist. ICBM coordinates+ any other random requirement - the blue parcel box, 3rd floor, just left of the cat.
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline rysgc

• View Profile
    • DACZine.com
Use Longitude/Latitude, instead of street addresses?
Yeah but it's kinda hard for a courier to walk around with a GPS to deliver the package. I think reverse lookups are the easiest to integrate in the existing logical processes.
DACZine.com - Receive all the latest DAC and BitShares community news straight to your inbox. Signup here or Submit news

Offline CWEvans

• View Profile
Use Longitude/Latitude, instead of street addresses?

Offline rysgc

• View Profile
    • DACZine.com
This is nice , could work similar to Bitshares DNS , next time you only have to put a name and number on your package. It could be possible to add a(n) additional index(es) to all existing addresses. So we only have to lookup and store this index(eS) instead of the full address. Couriers could also use this index(es) for reverse lookups. Although the most difficult part would probably be convincing them that this is a lot easier and faster them full addresses.
DACZine.com - Receive all the latest DAC and BitShares community news straight to your inbox. Signup here or Submit news

Offline davidpbrown

So, this is half an idea but I'm going to throw it out there anyway..

The problem:

There is a central authority, for postcodes. In the spirit of doing away with the need for central authorities, I wonder then a DAC might be useful.

The motivation:

There is value in having consensus.
UK Postcodes alone are valued at £1.8bn a year. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26605375 for the recent reaction to learning that UK.gov sold off that postcode detail.

The solution?:

As much of an idea as I've had then is to setup a DAC as a reference for addresses - postal addresses and other real world place markers.

Rather perversely, I'm not sure whether this needs a blockchain, as there is no transfer required but instead just a consensus on what the reference is. So, a simple match of the address in a standard format, perhaps is the private key that gives a public unique reference address, which perhaps would be useful for automation and engaging the real world in a standard way. I wonder this almost calls for a reversable key rather than an encrypted one.

I'm struggling then to see how this might be implimented in a way that is easy to reverse, given that normally the move from private key to public address involves a loss of information.

If such a reference can be easily reversed, even if by lookup on the 'blockchain'; and if consensus could be found for such a reference, then 'profit' follows from the savings made from the efficiency such a reference provides.

If it is a lookup service, then populating the data might be a problem; if the public address is easily reversed to the 'private' full address, then no population of a blockchain is needed. This then I wonder is where the idea falls short.. If you need to populate the blockchain then that is tough data to get, if you don't then what is the point?.. and yet consensus is value, so how to secure that value??

The reward:

Not for profit but as a loss leader. If there was a good way to make this consensus and do away with central authorities, then perhaps providing such a simple reference service for free would be a useful catalyst for engaging a wide audience for other DACs?

Disclaimer: I'm not a clever man, so not in a position to implement any of this myself.

Brain over.
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc