Author Topic: Allowable names discussion  (Read 5994 times)

Offline bytemaster

Lets establish the design goals:

1) support as many native languages as possible (Chinese)
2) prevent phishing attacks by allowing similar looking names.
3) backward compatibility

I put a high value on #3 which means that any name should be compatible with existing DNS systems.

Lastly, subdomains should be handled in the value section of the output and thus '.' is not permissible in the name.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline jwiz168

• View Profile
im thinking of a fixed octet and an ascii character at the end.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
This is *not* a discussion about TLDs or UX.
This is just a discussion for what are permissible strings for names in the name-record store.

First suggestion, lowercase alphanumeric.

Second suggestion, lowercase alphanumeric and periods, but only if you owned the suffix without any periods (so you can emulate subdomains). Still manageable complexity.

Also maybe lowercase alphanumeric and any symbols, with above suffix rule.

Stuff that currently appears after the TLD in your browser bar is not part of the name resolution and is independent of this system so it would remain the same.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.