Author Topic: Newbie question!  (Read 6370 times)

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
No, BDNS is an alternate parallel namespace which the old system has no awareness of and which requires the user to "opt-in" by either point to custom DNS server or installing an extension.

BDNS will not appear on google search results, except via a resolver like bitshar.es
We will avoid ICANN TLDs so as to not create separate ".com.ICANN" and ".com.BDNS"

Thanks,

Does BDNS have a search function that returns results from within BDNS?

I know we're avoiding ICANN TLD's, but in theory, in a BDNS version that ended all it's namespaces with .org, could BitShares buy the BDNS namespace  BitShares.org & upload the same content on their BDNS site as on their ICANN site?

Then they wouldn't be called BitShares.org.BDNS and BitShares.org.ICANN they would both be called 'BitShares.org' but the one could be accessed via say google  and the other would be accessed via BDNS right?

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 08:38:29 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
No, BDNS is an alternate parallel namespace which the old system has no awareness of and which requires the user to "opt-in" by either point to custom DNS server or installing an extension.

BDNS will not appear on google search results, except via a resolver like bitshar.es
We will avoid ICANN TLDs so as to not create separate ".com.ICANN" and ".com.BDNS"
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Apologies for my tech inept questions, just been doing some thinking, the answers to these will help me...

Will BitShares DNS have a search engine/toolbar that returns results from BitShares DNS as well as the ICANN DNS system?

If so, is it technically possible for BitShares DNS hosted domains to be listed on our search results page with an orange link to differentiate them from the ICANN hosted domains that are all currently associated with a blue link?

(I understand we're using .p2p so sites can be accessible via ICANN but) In a BitShares DNS version with a .com TLD & no .p2p TLD at all... Could a search in BitShares DNS for Twitter or twitter.com then return the BitShares DNS hosted Twitter.com and the ICANN hosted Twitter.com as the top 2 but separate results?

Offline toast

• View Profile
I'm a newbie and this is my first Question here:
Can i use this 'DNS' for a normal website, install joomla or wordpress? Can i use google adsense?  Where are lying all the Data, *.jpg's? Is it only the adressname? Then will my hoster allow that? Will google find the Links?
If i decide to use this DNS, how much is the price? Is it cheaper then a normal dns in the year? What have i to do to get a adress.
By the way ... I dont think that is it a problem for Surfer to install a plugin in a explorer to see a website. That could be standard.
((This verification Picture is terrible))

Yes, dns only deals with how to resolve a name to your IP. Everything works exactly the same.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
How do Google and co deal with ICANN domains outside of the jurisdiction of the countries they operate in?

My point is mainly that they don't.  They have Google.com, that's good enough for them and all that they'll ever really need.  All else being equal, they'd prefer to have Google.x for every x, but if it's a hassle or not worth their time, they just won't bother.  They won't even make the effort, because doing so would legitimize it.

Actually I think it is the opposite.  You need to protect trademarks in court or they lose strength.  I am not an attorney though.

Part of the problem for google would be finding a person to serve over the DNS.  They'd have go to the host provider I guess. ?

In the US I don't think you can go to prison for not giving it up, but I am not certain.  A judge can rule, but if you refuse I don't think they can throw you in court for contempt, but not sure.  It seems to similar to other judgments, and there is no debtor's prison in the US.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline mint chocolate chip

Great questions, I've been wondering the same things.
Can i use this 'DNS' for a normal website, install joomla or wordpress? Can i use google adsense?  Where are lying all the Data, *.jpg's? Is it only the adressname? Then will my hoster allow that? Will google find the Links?
If i decide to use this DNS, how much is the price? Is it cheaper then a normal dns in the year? What have i to do to get a adress.
By the way ... I dont think that is it a problem for Surfer to install a plugin in a explorer to see a website. That could be standard.

Offline Reiner

• View Profile

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Guys I think for someone obtaining google in bitshares DNS is a very bad idea...So when the time comes just let me buy it... ;)

Thank you all very much for sharing your thoughts in my questions.

Offline toast

• View Profile
The short story is, there will be transition pains, since we are avoiding the centralized behemoth which is traditional DNS.

At the start, decentralized DNS will only appeal to the website owners who like the theory or who need the concrete benefits (mostly "bad" sites like thepiratebay.se). There can be proxies set up via traditional DNS, so you can promote your site under someone else's domain to help bridge the gap.

The theory is sound and is better than traditional DNS. We have a slow war to fight on two fronts: User adoption from one end, traditional DNS servers on the other. There are efforts working towards both.

Offline HackFisher

• View Profile
So this is something completely different from the current internet? if i have zeus.dns and someone types zeus.dns in the explorer nothing will come out?
Only people who use the bitshares blockchain wll be able to see zeus.dns?

I have same concern with OP, I worry that website owner will not be interested in bitshares dns because they don't know whether their audience have already install this chrome extention unless bitshares dns is popular. But how could bitshares dns become popular before people are interested in it?

Edit:
And, are there limitations that the Bitshares DNS can only be used in browsers like chrome etc. can not be used in by protocol like HTTP, FTP, SMB etc. This seems have big difference between it and transitional understanding of DNS.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:14:09 am by HackFisher »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

How do Google and co deal with ICANN domains outside of the jurisdiction of the countries they operate in?

My point is mainly that they don't.  They have Google.com, that's good enough for them and all that they'll ever really need.  All else being equal, they'd prefer to have Google.x for every x, but if it's a hassle or not worth their time, they just won't bother.  They won't even make the effort, because doing so would legitimize it.

How do we make BitShares DNS worth the effort for someone like Google?

SSL security and preventing man in the middle.   As customers demand more security, google will be forced to offer a more trusted model for distributing the fingerprint of their SSL certs.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile
Slowly. Why bother? Worst case someone points "google.p2p" to something bad? Either google buys it out or someone has demonstrated they are willing to pay a price nobody thought google would buy it back for more for later. When you squat a domain without making money from it's use, you're sacrificing dividends on the DNS you could have sold it for.

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile

How do we make BitShares DNS worth the effort for someone like Google?
Pei5BrnEUqcCuUdffNZmBPL3rg6duj3vnU

Offline toast

• View Profile
Why would someone pay a lot to buy a popular name like google if in the future he risk to get legally chased and probably in this world that we live will lose the legal battle?

Why indeed?
On the other hand, why wouldn't someone buy it if it was cheap, since it's the first domain anyone would try? That kicks off the auction.

Nobody has violated any license with this software. ICANN and Google are completely separate entities. This would just be a standard trademark lawsuit, just like if you used "google" in a TV ad they would come after you, not the TV station. If you're not in a country with similar laws to the US, it's possible google couldn't do anything.

Doesn't that pretty much ensure that Google and the other big boys will never play in the BitShares DNS world?  All of the existing big domains will be snatched up.  And the little ones, too.

People's willingness to buy into BTS-DNS names depends mostly on their conviction that it won't end up just being a waste of time.  I have plenty of Namecoins, but have only reserved one name for giggles.  I don't see how anyone is ever really going to adopt it.  The existing DNS system, for all of its flaws, is pretty robust, and we haven't exactly run out of names yet.

Namecoin has failed for a huge variety of reasons, no need to overcompensate with too much preemptive policy, let's just do the same idea in the right way.

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile
Why would someone pay a lot to buy a popular name like google if in the future he risk to get legally chased and probably in this world that we live will lose the legal battle?

Why indeed?
On the other hand, why wouldn't someone buy it if it was cheap, since it's the first domain anyone would try? That kicks off the auction.

Nobody has violated any license with this software. ICANN and Google are completely separate entities. This would just be a standard trademark lawsuit, just like if you used "google" in a TV ad they would come after you, not the TV station. If you're not in a country with similar laws to the US, it's possible google couldn't do anything.

Doesn't that pretty much ensure that Google and the other big boys will never play in the BitShares DNS world?  All of the existing big domains will be snatched up.  And the little ones, too.

People's willingness to buy into BTS-DNS names depends mostly on their conviction that it won't end up just being a waste of time.  I have plenty of Namecoins, but have only reserved one name for giggles.  I don't see how anyone is ever really going to adopt it.  The existing DNS system, for all of its flaws, is pretty robust, and we haven't exactly run out of names yet.
Pei5BrnEUqcCuUdffNZmBPL3rg6duj3vnU

Offline toast

• View Profile

Why indeed?

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Thank you very much Toast!!

Just one question. Why would someone pay a lot to buy a popular name like google if in the future he risk to get legally chased and probably in this world that we live will lose the legal battle?

The question is if chased legally by google in the future why would google win? Because we have violated the ICANN license and have created something completely decentralized probably isn't it? I really want to understand the logic behind what we want to do here and why someone could win that battle in the future..

Again thank you very much!

Offline toast

• View Profile
Bitshares DNS doesn't have to do anything with ICANN, correct? We don't need any license from ICANN to use .dns or .p2p?
correct
All domain names will be registered in Bitshares DNS blockchain so anyone who wants to use that domain name will have to use the Bitshares program?
correct - I imagine web-based explorers/clients will pop up
So this is something completely different from the current internet? if i have zeus.dns and someone types zeus.dns in the explorer nothing will come out?
Only people who use the bitshares blockchain wll be able to see zeus.dns?
In the short term, only people with the browser extension will see it. Marketable like, "your portal to freedom!"
Even if i buy google.dns, Google will not be interested to buy that name unless Bitshares DNS becomes popular? Or I am not allowed to create google.dns?
Anyone can buy it, but rest assured they will pay a high price for it. Look at the video to see the auction mechanic explanation
If I am allowed to created google.dns and in the future bitshares DNS becomes very popular google will probably chase me legally isn't it?

Probably
Will there be only zeus.dns or could also be zeus.p2p, zeus.lol etc?
Planning for only one TLD.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Bitshares DNS doesn't have to do anything with ICANN, correct? We don't need any license from ICANN to use .dns or .p2p?

All domain names will be registered in Bitshares DNS blockchain so anyone who wants to use that domain name will have to use the Bitshares program?
Only people who use the bitshares blockchain wll be able to see zeus.dns? Even if i buy google.dns, Google will not be interested to buy that name unless Bitshares DNS becomes popular? Or I am not allowed to create google.dns? If I am allowed to created google.dns and in the future bitshares DNS becomes very popular google will probably chase me legally isn't it?
Will there be only zeus.dns or could also be zeus.p2p, zeus.lol etc?

Please someone explain in very very basic terms how this will work so i get a better picture. That is all new for me... :(

Thank you very much!