Author Topic: Should BitShares abandon Currency Codes for Ticker Symbols (4 characters)?  (Read 3966 times)

Offline bytemaster

This thread was not about about discussion of the BitAssets on a chain (those are all internal...) these would be about shares in the chain itself.   

BXTS:USD
BXTS:GLD

BSME:0abc -> hex ID of the individual share on the BitShares ME network.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile
Bytemaster, coming around to my ideas.  :)

Below:

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=1696.msg20703#msg20703

I didn't change the topic, but 32 was the spec from the white paper.  Upon further review I think having fewer per chain is better.
[/quote]

Bytemaster, do you plan to have a Bitasset character limit?  Such as 4 character maximum after the word bit.  eg. BitUSD, BitAAPL.  I feel like limiting to 4 characters will allow for more standardization, reflecting public markets more closely. 

We can see how it can get crazy with BitGoogle, BitGOOG, BitTwitter, BitTWTR, BitGold, BitGLD, BitAU (from the periodic table), BIT(insert the word gold here from other languages).  The permutations would be limitless and redundant.  .
[/quote]

bitbro

Good for BitAAPL and other stock tickers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline yellowecho

We will definitely need hierarchial asset names, I promise. XT:USD.

I like this.

We have to consider that Bitshares products are all going to show up in crypto-currency lists and on centralized exchanges, and having some kind of prefix for all of them will tremendously help brand identity. So on something like Cryptsy, there should be a whole range of products whose codes all start with something like "BTS."

So XT:USD is good, but I think it should also be tied somehow to the rest of the Bitshares brand. Ideally, someone glancing at it should know that BitUSD is a distant cousin of BitShares DNS.

This gets out of hand pretty quick: BTS:XT:USD?? that's messy and doesn't seem terse enough.

A lot of great points being made.  Here's my suggestion:

BTSX
BTSX:USD
BTSX:RMB
BTSX:EUR
BTSX:RUR
BTSX:GLD
BTSX:SLV
BTSX:OIL

This structure allows for hierarchical designation while still maintaining brand identity (which is very important).  It also may help explain BTSX since "BTSX:USD" insinuates a ratio of BTSX-to-USD which is precisely what's being measured.. and since BTSX is highest in the hierarchy, no "BTSX:BTSX" would be needed.  Extensions of each could also be made using a period such as "BTSX.T" or "BTSX:USD.I".
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I agree. Go for it. I like the idea of using the colon for a hierarchical designation (e.g. XT: USD), since there will be entire families of these. And actually, there are some crypto-currencies that have used four-letter abbreviations. On Coin Market Cap, for instance, you will see DOGE, TIPS, and MINT with four-letter designations.

http://coinmarketcap.com/

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
Like this. So BitUD can be XUSD, BitGld XGLD etc.

I think all BitShares products (BitShares DNS, BitShares X, BitAssets) should have codes that appear near each other in alphabetized lists.
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil

I like this.

We have to consider that Bitshares products are all going to show up in crypto-currency lists and on centralized exchanges, and having some kind of prefix for all of them will tremendously help brand identity. So on something like Cryptsy, there should be a whole range of products whose codes all start with something like "BTS."

So XT:USD is good, but I think it should also be tied somehow to the rest of the Bitshares brand. Ideally, someone glancing at it should know that BitUSD is a distant cousin of BitShares DNS.

This gets out of hand pretty quick: BTS:XT:USD?? that's messy and doesn't seem terse enough.

Do people agree that it would be helpful for all Bitshares products to be quickly and conveniently identifiable as such?
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

sumantso

Like this. So BitUD can be XUSD, BitGld XGLD etc.

Offline yellowecho

I think that would be an interesting way to differenciate from the concurrence and hammering the paradigm shift, plus that make logical sense.
+5%
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
They could stay USD, just use more chars for new things.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline onceuponatime

Could you give examples of what they would be for, say, gold, US dollar and Chinese Yuan? I think that they would have low recognition value.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
It just occurred to me that we have been changing the paradigm from currency to equity and yet we have retained the currency code naming system.   Considering the vast numbers of DACs that will be hitting the market soon, having 4 characters gives us 26 times more symbols to use to identify them.

Debate...

Briiliant idea. I endorse this. These are shares not currencies.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline BldSwtTrs

• View Profile
I think that would be an interesting way to differenciate from the concurrence and hammering the paradigm shift, plus that make logical sense.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:40:23 am by BldSwtTrs »

Offline bytemaster

It just occurred to me that we have been changing the paradigm from currency to equity and yet we have retained the currency code naming system.   Considering the vast numbers of DACs that will be hitting the market soon, having 4 characters gives us 26 times more symbols to use to identify them.

Debate...
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.